#1 Orion44

Orion44
  • Members
  • 72 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Laguna Nigel

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:43 AM

My fiancee is a government worker with 11 years on the job. She is concerned that if she resigns before completing 15 years of service, she loses all of the benefits she has paid into for so long. So here's her thought: take a four-year leave of absence and continue contributing.

Anybody do this? My love has asked me for advice so I am gathering information.

Thanks!!!!!

#2 denterprise

denterprise
  • Moderators
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:Basketball, tennis, traveling
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • te
  • Local Office:Orlando

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:55 AM

If that is within the rules, and she is able to get back more than she will put in over the next four years go for it. In some retirement systems here, an employee can buy the years so there is no need for a leave of absence. Just have her check to make sure there will not be any negative consequences and to get it in writing if she can, what her benefits will be after a four year leave of absence. Don't go by word of mouth, too many things can change.

Good luck.

God is Good all the time

Dave

#3 Lerlyn

Lerlyn
  • Members
  • 959 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca
  • Local Office:N/A

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE(Orion44 @ Mar 28 2007, 02:43 PM)  
My fiancee is a government worker with 11 years on the job. She is concerned that if she resigns before completing 15 years of service, she loses all of the benefits she has paid into for so long. So here's her thought: take a four-year leave of absence and continue contributing.

Anybody do this? My love has asked me for advice so I am gathering information.

Thanks!!!!!

I'm a gov't employee too and I'm on indifinite leave right now without pay..and i am only allowed to leave for one year, and after that,i can either reinstate or resign. While an employee is on leave, all benefits stop also, as well as the contribution. I can reinstate after one year and work for a month then file a leave again, that way, the appointment is still on my name. Your fiance can do the same until she reaches her 15 years in service and can claim all the benefits. I have known also one gov't employee who is now in the US that is doing the same thing..he is visiting the Philippines to renew his leave until he will reach his retiring age 60, then he can retire with all the benefits intended for him.

Lerlyn
Timeline:

July 2008 : Sent documents to USCIS thru Mr. Ray Bacon
July 14, 2008 : NOA1 hard copy received
Sept 4, 2008 : Choice of Agent and Address form
Sept. ? , 2008 : IV fees and others (paid)
Dec. 18, 2008 : Sent all supporting documents including the AOS
Jan. 2 , 2009 : Hubby called the NVC. CR2 case completed. CR1 missing document(visa photos)
Jan. 12, 2009 : CR1 case completed
March 4,6&9, 2009 : Medical (Approved)
March 12,2009 : Interview 8:30 AM (Approved) Thank you God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit!
March 14, 2009 : Visas on hand!
April 03, 2009 : Manila to LAX
MY BLOG

My friendster

My Picturetrail

#4 Orion44

Orion44
  • Members
  • 72 posts
  • ca

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for the speedy replies Denterprise and Lerlyn. That's helpful. I don't see how she can return to work a month yearly for the next four years.

#5 vsmtghdy

vsmtghdy
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(Orion44 @ Mar 28 2007, 11:19 AM)  
Thanks for the speedy replies Denterprise and Lerlyn. That's helpful. I don't see how she can return to work a month yearly for the next four years.

I used to work for the Government but resigned last year. As Government employee, she cannot take a leave of absence for more than a year. If both of you can manage to save for her vacation here in the Philippines a month each year, then she still can reinstate her position. This is what others usually do, every year they take a vacation, go back here and work for a month, take another LOA, and so forth. But if you say she cannot return, then she might as well say bye-bye to her benefits (I did).

God Bless!

Helen

Edited by vsmtghdy, 28 March 2007 - 11:27 AM.

HELEN

#6 liahsterling

liahsterling
  • Moderators
  • 1,523 posts
  • te

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:37 AM

She may want to inquire at the GSIS office and ask if she can continue her contributions up until a time where she is eligible for retirement benefits. There are government casual employees that often has lapses in their contributions when theyre out of job but all they do is pay a certain amount to cover the lapses then they are eligible for benefits.

#7 Ampalaya

Ampalaya

Latest creation!

• 4,744 posts
  • Interests:Staying VERTICAL!!
  • ca
  • Local Office:Honolulu.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(vsmtghdy @ Mar 28 2007, 01:25 AM)  
I used to work for the Government but resigned last year. As Government employee, she cannot take a leave of absence for more than a year. If both of you can manage to save for her vacation here in the Philippines a month each year, then she still can reinstate her position. This is what others usually do, every year they take a vacation, go back here and work for a month, take another LOA, and so forth. But if you say she cannot return, then she might as well say bye-bye to her benefits (I did).

God Bless!
Helen

This is what others usually do, every year they take a vacation, go back here and work for a month, take another LOA, and so forth.
Talaga????

Denied K1, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption and US Citizenship. Dual citizenship.
All PAU!
Been there! Did it all!

#8 juris

juris
  • Banned
  • 1,849 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca
  • Local Office:Timbukto

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:31 PM

GSIS for Government Worker, Should she resign or take leave of absence?

Its best to refer the matter with GSIS.
"Black Skin Exotic & Rare"

#9 cebulady

cebulady
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • mi

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

Am not sure if there is a government agency in the P.I. that would allow any of its employees to take a leave absence for 4 years straight even without pay, maybe for 6 months to a year. I used to work for a government owned corporation there and we are only allowed a 3 months leave of absence if leave is spent outside of the country.

A Phil. government employee who go on leave without pay does not accummulate creditable years of service so don't bother to go on leave if there is no available leave credits if this is the purpose of going on leave as this would be of no use. In 2003, GSIS implemented a premium based computation of retirement/separation benefits. When a government employee is on leave w/o pay there is no payment of premiums(governemt & personal share) and no personal contribution is allowed when there is no actual service rendered. So your fiance can either resign or wait it out until she is able to render 15 yrs of service.

About benefits, I believe your fiancee is not going to lose everything. Tell her that before she leave the country to file all her paperwork in connection with her separation from service both from her office and at GSIS. As far as I know she will be recieving a lump sum amount when she is 60 yrs. old, computed I think based on her highest salary received multiplied by the no. of years in service. She should also make sure to surrender her Policy so she does not lose its cash surrender value as there is no use keeping it as she won't be able to continue paying the premium.

This is an advice from someone who has just separated/retired from the government service. I hope I was able to help.

#10 Orion44

Orion44
  • Members
  • 72 posts
  • ca

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:48 AM

Again, let me thank everyone. My fiancee asked me what I thought, and really, I had no idea, but now I do, thanks to all of you.

She would be overjoyed Cebulady, to learn she might not lose everything. Thanks again for helping me give some good advice to my love.

#11 cebulady

cebulady
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • mi

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:20 AM

Glad I was able to help Orion. Again, have your fiancee file the paperwork before she live the Philippines as its very hard to process this long distance.

#12 vsmtghdy

vsmtghdy
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(Ampalaya @ Mar 29 2007, 02:31 AM)  
This is what others usually do, every year they take a vacation, go back here and work for a month, take another LOA, and so forth.
Talaga????

Yes Ampalaya, that's TRUE. I used to work for 2 Government agencies (under the Department of Tourism in Manila and at a Government Hospital here in the province of Laguna. Before I resign at the DOT, they told me not to because I might regret the benefits and compensations I would incur staying as an employee. They told me to just file for an indefinite leave of absence as this is what they do there (but should not be more than a year), come back and work for atleast a month then file again an indefinite LOA. 2 of my co-employees in the same Department did just that (one is already working in Brunei and the other one in UK). And at the Government Hospital here in Laguna, our Nurse Supervisor (already a GC holder) did the same thing and she's been doing it for 2 years now.

Years of work and accumulating those compensations and benefits will really be frustrating at times to think if you will not complete the 15 years of service. But I could still get a lumpsum amount for the years I worked but did not applied for it. I opted to resign. smile.gif
HELEN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users