14 replies to this topic

#1 sweet_pinay

sweet_pinay
  • Members
  • 111 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hello guys I would like to ask some filipina here about sending Money. We always used remit home to send money to my family and i told my husband to used a xoom which is cheaper than remit home and he found on facebook advertisement this site   https://www.remitly....campaign=c_0036 

This is more cheap than remit home and xoom but I'm curious if this site is safer to send money to the Philippines . 

Is anybody used this site to send money in the Phil. ? If so let me know 

Actually I didn't know were to post this topic   :) but i hope i'm on the right section :) 

Thanks Jen.

******Our time line******

(^_^)___(^_^)

October 18, 2010 : Started talking in computer every day
November 18, 2010 : I Recieve flowers i'm so surprice he never told anything that he send a gift, i'm verry happy at that time
November 30, 2010 : Meet in person at Davao airport
December 3 , 2010 : Meet my family

December 4, 2010 : He propose to marry
December 7, 2010 : Went to CDO to meet my sister ,spending time at the beach and to catch crabs and shells
December 16,2010 : Went back to Davao
December 18,2010 : Engagement party
December 20, 2010 : Leaving in Davao going to Manila
December 21, 2010 : Back to U.S
January 28,2011 : Sent letters to USCIS
February 4, 2011 : NOA1 Receipt
February 14, 2011 : Surprise again i receive flowers from my honey a very lovely red roses
March 16, 2011 :I receive Card from my honey bug with 470 philippine peso ^_^
May 16,2011 : they send our NOA2 yahoo.. APPROVE! yay ^_^
May 24, 2011 : Recieve letter again and its our MNL case number Woooooooooo.(^_^)
June after period going to manila for my medical lol
July 5, 2011 ....... Interiew
july 4,2011 : vaccine, its four shot.they wont issue my Cd unless if i took sputum sisghh... delay interview..
July 5, 2011 : Sputum 5,6,7 got the sputum result its negative wait for 2 months for culture.
july 6, 2011 : Done my CFO
September 2 2011 : Call to st.luke for the result hope its a birth day gift i can get the result on sept. 2 :)
September 19, 2011 : Went back to manila to get my CD at st.luke
September 22,2011 : Iinterview ........Visa Approve[/color
October 2011 .......Receive my pocket
October 2011.... CFO stamp done!
October 11 2011 ... arrive in the U.S.A finally spending my honey already ^_^
October 18,2011 ...My wedding day!

November 12,2011..... Receive my SSN Number Card

****Where both happy now and waiting to be together again****

#2 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,580 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hello guys I would like to ask some filipina here about sending Money. We always used remit home to send money to my family and i told my husband to used a xoom which is cheaper than remit home and he found on facebook advertisement this site   https://www.remitly....campaign=c_0036

This is more cheap than remit home and xoom but I'm curious if this site is safer to send money to the Philippines . 

Is anybody used this site to send money in the Phil. ? If so let me know 

Actually I didn't know were to post this topic   :) but i hope i'm on the right section :)

Thanks Jen.

XOOM has been my favorite remittance service for the last three years.  I send 1 or 2 remittances most every week to a bank account in the PI, and it gets there in about 30 minutes.  The $4.95 per send works fine for me.

#3 sweet_pinay

sweet_pinay
  • Members
  • 111 posts
  • ca

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Thank you Sir ray but have you heard about remitly.com just wondering if this site is safe to used . we always used remit home and i'm trying to save some penny's :) so i always as my husband to switch xoom  coz its only 4.95 compare remit home $10 and the remitly is only 2.99 and its  higher rate compare xoom  but i'm scared if its safe or scam .

******Our time line******

(^_^)___(^_^)

October 18, 2010 : Started talking in computer every day
November 18, 2010 : I Recieve flowers i'm so surprice he never told anything that he send a gift, i'm verry happy at that time
November 30, 2010 : Meet in person at Davao airport
December 3 , 2010 : Meet my family

December 4, 2010 : He propose to marry
December 7, 2010 : Went to CDO to meet my sister ,spending time at the beach and to catch crabs and shells
December 16,2010 : Went back to Davao
December 18,2010 : Engagement party
December 20, 2010 : Leaving in Davao going to Manila
December 21, 2010 : Back to U.S
January 28,2011 : Sent letters to USCIS
February 4, 2011 : NOA1 Receipt
February 14, 2011 : Surprise again i receive flowers from my honey a very lovely red roses
March 16, 2011 :I receive Card from my honey bug with 470 philippine peso ^_^
May 16,2011 : they send our NOA2 yahoo.. APPROVE! yay ^_^
May 24, 2011 : Recieve letter again and its our MNL case number Woooooooooo.(^_^)
June after period going to manila for my medical lol
July 5, 2011 ....... Interiew
july 4,2011 : vaccine, its four shot.they wont issue my Cd unless if i took sputum sisghh... delay interview..
July 5, 2011 : Sputum 5,6,7 got the sputum result its negative wait for 2 months for culture.
july 6, 2011 : Done my CFO
September 2 2011 : Call to st.luke for the result hope its a birth day gift i can get the result on sept. 2 :)
September 19, 2011 : Went back to manila to get my CD at st.luke
September 22,2011 : Iinterview ........Visa Approve[/color
October 2011 .......Receive my pocket
October 2011.... CFO stamp done!
October 11 2011 ... arrive in the U.S.A finally spending my honey already ^_^
October 18,2011 ...My wedding day!

November 12,2011..... Receive my SSN Number Card

****Where both happy now and waiting to be together again****

#4 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,580 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Yes, I've heard of all the other remittance services.  XOOM works fine and the fees are fine with me.  I wouldn't switch to another service to save $2 on $500 remittances when I have never had a bad experience with XOOM.

--RayB

Thank you Sir ray but have you heard about remitly.com just wondering if this site is safe to used . we always used remit home and i'm trying to save some penny's :) so i always as my husband to switch xoom  coz its only 4.95 compare remit home $10 and the remitly is only 2.99 and its  higher rate compare xoom  but i'm scared if its safe or scam .

#5 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:18 AM

BBB gives them an A-.  BBB has had no feedback positive or negative & gives the standard warning of be careful with a new company.  They are not BBB accredited, but that is a status that requires paying a fee for an official BBB Accreditation seal.

Scamadvisor gives them a trustworthy rating based on no negative reports & being open about their officers and location.

Exchange rate is similar to Xoom.  As I write this, Xoom offers P39.70=$1 and Remitly offers P39.88=$1

The reported investors give this company an air of legitimacy.  Here is an old article posted at http://www.geekwire....ash-jeff-bezos/

(The company name is Beamit.  They adopted Remitly as the name for their remittance service shortly after this was written)

Beamit Mobile
April 11, 2012 at 8:37 am by John Cook 3 Comments

Seattle startup Beamit Mobile has raised $2.4 million in fresh financing from former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s TomorrowVentures, Founder’s Co-op and Bezos Expeditions, the venture capital firm of Jeff Bezos. The money will be used to continue development of the company’s technology, which allows immigrants to transfer money to mobile phones in developing countries.

“These investors share our vision of enabling a faster, less expensive and far more convenient way for sending money across borders,” said founder Matt Oppenheimer who came up with the idea while overseeing mobile and Internet banking for Barclays Bank Kenya.

“Many Kenyans received money in an old and antiquated way using a cash-based system on both ends but it was an expensive and a painful customer experience,” says Oppenheimer. “I knew that there was the opportunity to leverage digital channels, including mobile phones, to improve the lives of our customers.”

Oppenheimer returned to the U.S. in May 2011, later landing a coveted spot in the TechStars Seattle program. Last October, Beamit recruited Josh Hug — a Seattle entrepreneur who previously sold online book social network Shelfari to Amazon.com and his mentor at TechStars — as chief product officer.

The new round of funding includes a $750,000 convertible note, which we previously reported on here. Beamit is currently testing its technology with a small number of customers who can transfer money from the U.S. to the Philippines.

The market for money transfers is a big one, with Oppenheimer noting that the World Bank estimates that $350 billion of remittances are transferred each year with an average cost of more than $27. It’s primary competitor is Xoom.

I had not heard of this company before, but based on what is available in Tech News publications they are likely to be honest.  However they do not yet have a track record, so keep that in mind when vetting this service yourself.

The adventure continues

Fritz

Edited by Fritz, 13 January 2013 - 04:23 AM.

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#6 egarcia

egarcia
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • te

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

If you have used Xoom before why the need to try a new site just for saving a few dollars?  I'd still go for something that is a bit expensive but but also giving me peace of mind.  Well, it's just me.

Jun 26, 2012 - Interviewed in US Embassy Manila
Jul 16, 2012 - Got my K1 Visa
Sept 16, 2012 - Arrived in the US
Oct 19, 2012 - Got married. Yehey!
Oct 22, 2012 - Got a copy of our marriage certificate and applied for SSN
Oct 26, 2012 - Mailed I-485 and other docs for Adjustment of Status
Oct 29, 2012 - Got my SSN from the mail
Nov 9, 2012 - Received Biometrics appointment in the mail
Dec 3, 2012 - Biometrics appointment (failed due to some dryness in the fingers)
Jan 7, 2012 - Biometrics appointment again 
Jan 15, 2012 - EAD/AP combo card arrived from the mail
Mar 14, 2013 - AOS interview. Result: "For Review"
Jul 19, 2013 - 2 year Green card arrived. Yahoo!

#7 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

If you have used Xoom before why the need to try a new site just for saving a few dollars?  I'd still go for something that is a bit expensive but but also giving me peace of mind.  Well, it's just me.

So I should have stuck with WU instead of switching to Xoom to save a few dollars? WU is a little more expensive, but has an excellent track record...I knew less about Xoom at the time I made the choice to "save a few dollars with something new" than I know about Remitly.com today and I had experienced no problems with WU at all, other than less money (vs Xoom) arriving in Cebu for the same dollar amount spent.

When there are options available, then there is a choice to make.  The request was for more information to base a choice on.   "Why switch?" is a non-responsive answer with a simple answer.  If the cost is less, then the payout is more, for exactly the same dollar/euro expense.

The adventure continues

Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#8 buzzlanda

buzzlanda
  • Members
  • 108 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Manila

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

They have their onw Facebook account and they have their own review from the customer. So i guess its legit. :)

buzzy and Yolanda's Journey Of Love

January 2005 - On
January 2006 - communicating
January 2007 - communicating
May 10, 2008 - My Baby visit me in Cebu for so many years of waiting.
May 11, 2008 - got engaged!!! and we are so happy.
May 20, 2008 - My Baby fly back to Portland
May 31, 2008 - We filed I-129F
June 6, 2008 - NOA1 Notice Sent
July ..... 2008 - Waiting for NOA2
August.. 2008 - Waiting for NOA2
Sept..... 2008 - Waiting for NOA2
Oct. 7, 2008 - NOA2 Approved Notice Sent
Oct. 14, 2008 - Got letter from NVC ( hardcopy)
Oct. 23, 2008 - GOT MY MNL CASE NUMBER BY MAIL ( AIR 21)
Nov. 17 & 19 2008 - MEDICAL AT ST. LUKES (PASSED)
Nov. 25, 2008 - GOT PINK SLIP AND WHITE PAPER with check (submit NBI clearance with alias name)
Nov. 26, 2008 - SUBMITTED MY LACK DOCUMENTS
Dec. 01, 31 2008 - waiting deliver for visa
Jan. 01-31, 2009 - Waiting delivery for Visa
Feb.01-04 2009 - waiting delivery for visa
Feb. 07, 2009- VISA RECIEVED!
Feb. 12, 2009- Arrived in PDX
April 10, 2009- Wedding Day!
GOD SPEED!!

#9 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

My experience so far has been no problems.  I switched to Remitly about the time I put up the previous response.  On the receiving end in my case there is no difference as the money is picked up at a L'Huillier location.

The benefits (for me) are

Lower cost per transaction

Higher exchange rate per transaction

Debit Card rewards earned.

For a bank to bank transfer with a 3-5 day delay acceptable, Remitly offers no cost transfers.  I have not had a chance to try this option, but it is an option that is offered.

Strictly anecdotal, but so far the only problem I have had was right after I made an online purchase from a store in Manila.  My bank put a hold on the debit card, so I just used Xoom one time and went to the bank to add a note to my account to let their watchdogs know that I make occasional purchases from Philippine stores.

With nearly 6 months of transactions now, I will be staying with Remitly and use Xoom as a backup option.  I have had good experiences with both and will continue to use Xoom occasionally when there is a need or advantage.

The adventure continues

Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#10 JLW36

JLW36

GeorgiaOnMyMind

• 750 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ca
  • Local Office:Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:08 AM

I been using remitly on a monthly basis of sending money to my savings account in the PI. for 4 months now. I like their exchange rate and its Free for sending $100 and up, bank to bank transaction for 5 days processing. And I been using the free bank to bank transaction twice with no problems and when I call them there's always someone who would attend to your call and queries.

My Daugther's IR2 Visa Timeline

October 03-2011-Sent the Application for I-130 Package
October 07-Received USCIS acceptance of Application by e-mail
October 12, 2011-Received Notice of Action by Mail
April 27,2012-Finally Petition is approved!
May 3,2012-Received NOA 2 in the mail
May 29,2012-NVC assigned Manila Case Number MNL2012XXXXXX
May 30,2012-Assigned myself as the Choice of Agent for (DS3032)
June 3,2012-Received and Paid AOS Bill Invoice Bill
June 7,2012-Registered as The Choice of agent
June 7,2012-Receieved and Paid Immigrant Visa Application Bill Invoice
June 10,2012-Complete/signed forms DS230, Affidavit of Support I-864, I-864A
June 26,2012-Mailed all required documents to NVC
July 11,2012-NVC Case Complete!
Aug 6 & 7 - Medical Schedule
Aug 15 - Interview Appointment @ 6:15AM
Aug 15 - Interview Approved.
Aug 23 - Visa/Packet Received
Oct 15 - Bound for PI to pick her up.
October 31, 2012 - Our(POE)Atlanta, Ga.

November 12, 2012- She got her 10 years Greencard

N-400 (U.S Citizenship)
March 08,2011-Mailed package Application for U.S Citizenship
March 17-Receipt Notice (Form I-797C)Received by E-mail
March 21-Recieved I-797C by mail
April 12-Biometrics @ 8AM
August 4-Interview @ 8:40AM. Interview & Oath taking the same day.

I-751 Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence
June 01,2009-Submit my application (VSC)
June 12-Received NOA 1
June 19-Received Biometrics Appointment
July 08-Biometrics Schedule
Oct 25-Request for the removal of condition approved
Oct 29-Production of the new card
Nov 07-Got my 10 years Greencard

Mom's 2006 IR5

#11 GregOry

GregOry
  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Learning more about my Filipina! ;-)
    Sports with my Filipina.
  • ve

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

Advantage to Xoom right now.  Use code: july4free to send from the USA to the Philippines right NOW.

Cost = Free  And you can send to pickup in US dollars and get a better exchange rate somewhere else.  Actually sometimes the pickup location will give a pretty good rate.  This works from both a credit card or bank account on sending end.  This works for pickup in cash or deposit to an account on the recieving end.

I'm going to check out that Remilty also.  Thanks for the info.

GregOry

btw: I'm not a Filipina but have lived here in the Philippines for the last 14 months.

Edited by GregOry, 04 July 2013 - 07:46 AM.

GregOry & Taring
TIMELINE FOR K-1 VISA
19 APR 12 - Arrived in Philippines to STAY until the VISA is ready.
5 MAY 12 – MAILED PETITION FROM PHILIPPINES TO DALLAS, TEXAS
11 MAY – EMAIL NOTIFICATION “… received and routed to the Vermont Service Center for processing.”
1 NOV 12 - APPROVED - Post Decision Activity (email notification DID NOT happen - found out by checking status at USCIS site)
14 NOV - Called NVC: # assigned and sent to Manila embassy 13 Nov.

19 NOV - Physical - Sputum collection ordered & completed by 23 Nov  :-( :-(  Interview canceled!

28 NOV - Negative initial result on sputum  :-) Waiting 2 months for culture result.  NEG please

7 DEC - Positive Culture. Called to St. Lukes; appointment Tues 11 DEC :-( Ohhh well

11 DEC - Moved to Manila for TB treatment.

15 MAR 13 - The Clinic Does Not Inform the Patients Well.  Ask Questions if You have Them.

10 JUN - Finished treatment and waiting for 1 month for final culture negative. 

11 JUL 13 - Back to SLEC for re-Physical (pay fee again).  Final culture result of 10 JUL requires entry to USA within 90 days.

22 JUL - Back to SLEC for vaccinations.

29 JUL - INTERVIEW - VISA SUPPOSEDLY APPROVED

20 AUG - Still WAITING.  Status said "Administrative Processing" then "Ready" (for interview) then "Administrative Processing" then "Ready" again and the "Case Creation Date" changed to 16 August 2013 from November 2012?  "Check in two business days."

23 AUG - Updated to "Administrative Processing" again :-(

26 AUG - ISSUED - YEAH! ! ! :D

#12 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,710 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

They have their onw Facebook account and they have their own review from the customer. So i guess its legit. :)

I, personally, would not place any value whatsoever on someone/someplace having their own facebook account. Facebook accounts are easy to make, and provide no validity to whether a company is real or legit.

Edit: As clarification, I am not saying the company being discussed here is legit or not legit, I am just saying that basing the decision on whether or not a company has a facebook account is probably not a good method.

Edited by MrkGrismer, 08 July 2013 - 01:01 PM.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#13 tipmart87

tipmart87
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Climbing Badminton Hiking Scuba My wife
  • ca
  • Local Office:san francisco

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

We have been using xoom for years, it always works well and get's there very quickly.  The only problem we ever had was when her sister left home and no one else in the home had valid I.D.

We sent her mother to the local city hall to obtain I.D, she had no birth certiciate or anything like that.  finally, when she sent all the paperwork in it came back two weeks later being rejected.  

On the forms she had completed she had "underestimated' her age and when they checked it in her home town it came back as wrong.  We had to get her to tell the truth.

Visit Arizona this summer for a great Vacation ----Arizona-----

BAD COMPANY

#14 username

username
  • 1,930 posts
  • te
  • Local Office:Had to use snail mail

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

We have been using Xoom for years now.  Never any problems.

We had sent an ATM card to the RP but with bank fees and now ATM transaction fees Xoom is our best route.

#15 egarcia

egarcia
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • te

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

Tried Remitly recently and I guess I am a happy camper.  They have better exchange rates and the service is also good. I just got paranoid the first time I used it since they called the number I gave them and asked for a copy of my ID (i.e. driver's license, etc.).

Jun 26, 2012 - Interviewed in US Embassy Manila
Jul 16, 2012 - Got my K1 Visa
Sept 16, 2012 - Arrived in the US
Oct 19, 2012 - Got married. Yehey!
Oct 22, 2012 - Got a copy of our marriage certificate and applied for SSN
Oct 26, 2012 - Mailed I-485 and other docs for Adjustment of Status
Oct 29, 2012 - Got my SSN from the mail
Nov 9, 2012 - Received Biometrics appointment in the mail
Dec 3, 2012 - Biometrics appointment (failed due to some dryness in the fingers)
Jan 7, 2012 - Biometrics appointment again 
Jan 15, 2012 - EAD/AP combo card arrived from the mail
Mar 14, 2013 - AOS interview. Result: "For Review"
Jul 19, 2013 - 2 year Green card arrived. Yahoo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users