21 replies to this topic

#1 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

In the past few weeks WOF has been blasted by spam bots trying to join the forum. I had them under control until something happened to the captcha. It wouldn't let people join. So like a dumb ass I shut it off and thought I could weed out the bots from real people and I was doing pretty well until the bots started hitting 60 to 80 a day. Then it was out of control. I got a hold of Roaddog and he did an upgrade on the forum and that seems to have fixed the captcha problem.

We shouldn't have any more bots getting in but I might not have gotten all of them banned that got in.

So if you come across any spam , just hit the report button and we'll get to it as quick as we can.

Thank you,

HAWK

#2 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:57 AM

Hawk,

You're our hero!

#3 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,677 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • em

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Yah..you're an hero Sir Hawk you made me shock for the screen and style of the new Wof as i opened for the first time. I said to myself " Is there something wrong in my pc?" :lol:

But my annoying and provoking avatar pic doesn't move anymore. :(

Anyway..i like the color and presentation...good job :)

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#4 JLW36

JLW36

GeorgiaOnMyMind

• 750 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

I dont even know how to post a new topic on this forum. I couldn't find the new topic button. And why if you quote someone's post, your replyis completely in a Silhouette?

My Daugther's IR2 Visa Timeline

October 03-2011-Sent the Application for I-130 Package
October 07-Received USCIS acceptance of Application by e-mail
October 12, 2011-Received Notice of Action by Mail
April 27,2012-Finally Petition is approved!
May 3,2012-Received NOA 2 in the mail
May 29,2012-NVC assigned Manila Case Number MNL2012XXXXXX
May 30,2012-Assigned myself as the Choice of Agent for (DS3032)
June 3,2012-Received and Paid AOS Bill Invoice Bill
June 7,2012-Registered as The Choice of agent
June 7,2012-Receieved and Paid Immigrant Visa Application Bill Invoice
June 10,2012-Complete/signed forms DS230, Affidavit of Support I-864, I-864A
June 26,2012-Mailed all required documents to NVC
July 11,2012-NVC Case Complete!
Aug 6 & 7 - Medical Schedule
Aug 15 - Interview Appointment @ 6:15AM
Aug 15 - Interview Approved.
Aug 23 - Visa/Packet Received
Oct 15 - Bound for PI to pick her up.
October 31, 2012 - Our(POE)Atlanta, Ga.

November 12, 2012- She got her 10 years Greencard

N-400 (U.S Citizenship)
March 08,2011-Mailed package Application for U.S Citizenship
March 17-Receipt Notice (Form I-797C)Received by E-mail
March 21-Recieved I-797C by mail
April 12-Biometrics @ 8AM
August 4-Interview @ 8:40AM. Interview & Oath taking the same day.

I-751 Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence
June 01,2009-Submit my application (VSC)
June 12-Received NOA 1
June 19-Received Biometrics Appointment
July 08-Biometrics Schedule
Oct 25-Request for the removal of condition approved
Oct 29-Production of the new card
Nov 07-Got my 10 years Greencard

Mom's 2006 IR5

#5 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

And why if you quote someone's post, your replyis completely in a Silhouette?

I think because in the World of Filipinas..Filipinas are petite :lol:

But oh Sir Hawk i think the update of Wof makes some of the statement in my post (Personal-interior-cleanliness) ommitted that there were before :( ...sorry,i understand and its up to you to check that everything is under control ;)

Oh..another thing i observe..i can't put more than two smilys together that i used to do :wacko:

Edited by melody, 30 November 2012 - 12:30 PM.

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#6 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I was wondering why things have been so quiet since the update. Whenever there are updates there are usually some issues that need to be worked out or new ways to do things, I guess you ladies have hit on a couple that needed to be looked at. Thank you. 

In which sections can you not start a new topic? The reason I ask is because I can see the new topic icon in the sections I have looked at. Try going to the top and clicking on the section itself and then see if you can start a new topic icon in it.

Edited by Mr. Lee, 30 November 2012 - 01:29 PM.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#7 nite_guy

nite_guy
  • 1,096 posts
  • AZ
  • Local Office:St Paul Mn

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Doesn't seem to like to play well with Chrome either. Drop down menus will quit functioning at times. Might just be all the old cached items need clearing though, as it seems to have gotten better.

#8 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Doesn't seem to like to play well with Chrome either. Drop down menus will quit functioning at times. Might just be all the old cached items need clearing though, as it seems to have gotten better.

I am using chrome and it works okay for me.

Also I like the new quote box, IMO it cleans up the forum look. 

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#9 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

I like the new color,fresh and light but this Sir Hawk huh...doesn't want me to be contented still for my avatar pic,i can't tease anymore any one here :angry:

Not my intenttion to offend.....But it is really necessary to change other aspect and features while making update? I ask this because the old WOF seemed to function well and i heard not of someone murmuring. Just my sincerity.

Edited by melody, 02 December 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#10 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • ch

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

We are still working on it so just give us some time to get the bugs worked out.

#11 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Here i am murmuring again . Sorry Sir Hawk just need to inform you that i got difficulty and i was crazy posting a new thread (moving in PI). I edited it many times coz some words are ommitted when i click post the thread. I used paste from word pad..ok but it can't paste the entire page of what i wrote.When i edited it another time with smileys it came back the error of ommitted words . What's wrong? Nothing left to do but to rewrite here wthout smileys what i prepared to solve the problem :angry: .

Edited by melody, 09 December 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#12 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Here i am murmuring again . Sorry Sir Hawk just need to inform you that i got difficulty and i was crazy posting a new thread (moving in PI). I edited it many times coz some words are ommitted when i click post the thread. I used paste from word pad..ok but it can't paste the entire page of what i wrote.When i edited it another time with smileys it came back the error of ommitted words . What's wrong? Nothing left to do but to rewrite here wthout smileys what i prepared to solve the problem :angry: .

I noticed in my reply to you in that thread when I put in a smiley, that the line after the smiley disappeared when I posted it, so I just left it without that sentence. Let me suggest for you that when you copy and paste from a different service such as word pad that you then try this, click on the icon on the top left which removes coding/formatting of that service so it might be more compatible with the formatting/coding of the forum. I am not sure if that will work or not but I have found it to work for me with the browser I am using which is Chrome, each browser may be different and I have found that often forums have issues with Internet Explorer and sometimes with other browsers when the maker of the software uses one browser and fails to test his product on all browsers.

Just as side note, I am finding issues on other forums I had recently posted on too that also use IPB software like this one, so it is not just this forum. I for one wish they would not have to keep upgrading their software but hackers keep trying to find back doors into the software, so I guess upgrades are necessary and besides that, the maker of the software wants to keep their jobs, so they keep making upgrades so they can make money and stay in business.

#13 Shep

Shep
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • te

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I noticed in my reply to you in that thread when I put in a smiley, that the line after the smiley disappeared when I posted it, so I just left it without that sentence. Let me suggest for you that when you copy and paste from a different service such as word pad that you then try this, click on the icon on the top left which removes coding/formatting of that service so it might be more compatible with the formatting/coding of the forum. I am not sure if that will work or not but I have found it to work for me with the browser I am using which is Chrome, each browser may be different and I have found that often forums have issues with Internet Explorer and sometimes with other browsers when the maker of the software uses one browser and fails to test his product on all browsers.

Just as side note, I am finding issues on other forums I had recently posted on too that also use IPB software like this one, so it is not just this forum. I for one wish they would not have to keep upgrading their software but hackers keep trying to find back doors into the software, so I guess upgrades are necessary and besides that, the maker of the software wants to keep their jobs, so they keep making upgrades so they can make money and stay in business.

Attached File  ed.jpg   33.73KB   7 downloads

The latest version of IPB which is now in use here is using a new editor; it has the same set up as before. Since the upgrade here actually jumped several versions some would not be familial with how it all works and I don't mean the editor but other features. The version that was used here was rather out dated so it could be a learning curve.  ;)

#14 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

attachicon.gifed.jpg

The latest version of IPB which is now in use here is using a new editor; it has the same set up as before. Since the upgrade here actually jumped several versions some would not be familial with how it all works and I don't mean the editor but other features. The version that was used here was rather out dated so it could be a learning curve.  ;)

Thanks sir T you obviously know much more about forums than I do. 

#15 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • ch

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yes the one we were using was an older version, the reason for that is , If its not broke don't fix it. Once it was not working then I had no choice but to update the forum. I don't like change any more then anyone else but sometimes we do what we have to do to keep the fourm up and running and to keep the hackers and spam bots out. In the 7 years that WOF has been on line we have NEVER been hacked. We have at times been hit by spam bots but with the help of the Mods , the bots were quickly disabled.

We are still working on a few things so just hang in there and try to learn how the new forum works. Once you get use to it you'll forget all about the old version.

#16 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • lo

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

Can i suggest Mr. Hawk? I get on how to use the new forum already and i love the way how it looks like now but one thing is bothering on my eyes is the bright color...."if you don't mind"

i thought this forum was gone but ohh thank you Dear God coz Mr. Hawk just upgrading into a new one!

Good job Mr. Hawk!

#17 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • ch

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

Can i suggest Mr. Hawk? I get on how to use the new forum already and i love the way how it looks like now but one thing is bothering on my eyes is the bright color...."if you don't mind"

i thought this forum was gone but ohh thank you Dear God coz Mr. Hawk just upgrading into a new one!

Good job Mr. Hawk!

If you go all the way down to the bottom of this page , look at the bottom left, you'll see it says change theme. click on change theme and change it to old school import. That will give you a darker back ground. Hope that helps and I'm glad you like the new look.

HAWK

#18 way-to-go

way-to-go
  • 1,217 posts
  • lo
  • Local Office:Portland Office

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I'm having a hard time searching for older/previous Posts & Topics through profiles. What should I do to find others & my older posts? 

#19 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'm having a hard time searching for older/previous Posts & Topics through profiles. What should I do to find others & my older posts? 

Put your mouse on the users name on the very left side above a post and hover it and then you will see Find Content and other choices or you can go to the top of the page to Member and find the member you wish and then on the right top will also be a Find Content icon. Hope that helps but if I missed anything then please ask it. 

Edit to add, sometimes when an upgrade has been done on some forums that I have been on in the past, older posts were harder to find, I do not know if that is the case on here since I have not tried to check any members earlier posts but I can find my older posts the way I described above, so hopefully it should work for others as well. 

Edited by Mr. Lee, 10 December 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#20 way-to-go

way-to-go
  • 1,217 posts
  • lo
  • Local Office:Portland Office

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

Put your mouse on the users name on the very left side above a post and hover it and then you will see Find Content and other choices or you can go to the top of the page to Member and find the member you wish and then on the right top will also be a Find Content icon. Hope that helps but if I missed anything then please ask it. 

Edit to add, sometimes when an upgrade has been done on some forums that I have been on in the past, older posts were harder to find, I do not know if that is the case on here since I have not tried to check any members earlier posts but I can find my older posts the way I described above, so hopefully it should work for others as well. 

Thanks Mr. Lee! I did just that & can now see previous posts/topics of other members. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users