#1 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • 209 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • lo
  • Local Office:Vermont Service Center

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Been couple yrs since I posted on the site looking for help/advice. Trying to go see the wife's family in August. Went to renew passport in DC and they made her use her maiden name as her middle. My wife had no idea they would do that because she used her mothers maiden name as her middle name when we got married. Now her green card and Philippines passport have different middle names. Anything we can do about this?

#2 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,684 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Been couple yrs since I posted on the site looking for help/advice. Trying to go see the wife's family in August. Went to renew passport in DC and they made her use her maiden name as her middle. My wife had no idea they would do that because she used her mothers maiden name as her middle name when we got married. Now her green card and Philippines passport have different middle names. Anything we can do about this?

That is a Philippine law:

http://www.chanroble...ppinesbook1.htm

(Title XIII. - USE OF SURNAMES (n))
Art. 370. A married woman may use:

(1) Her maiden first name and surname and add her husband's surname, or
(2) Her maiden first name and her husband's surname or
(3) Her husband's full name, but prefixing a word indicating that she is his wife, such as "Mrs."

Keeping the mother's maiden name as the middle name is not an option. The U.S. doesn't care about this, but the Philippines does and failure to follow the convention can lead to problems when renewing passports in the married name.

I have to say I am surprised your wife did not know about this law, from my understanding it has been the Philippine tradition for a very long time.

You can either file a name correction ($450: http://www.uscis.gov...000d1f1d6a1RCRD ) for the green card or wait until removal of conditions to correct it.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#3 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • 209 posts
  • lo

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

That is a Philippine law:

http://www.chanroble...ppinesbook1.htm

Keeping the mother's maiden name as the middle name is not an option. The U.S. doesn't care about this, but the Philippines does and failure to follow the convention can lead to problems when renewing passports in the married name.

I have to say I am surprised your wife did not know about this law, from my understanding it has been the Philippine tradition for a very long time.

You can either file a name correction ($450: http://www.uscis.gov...000d1f1d6a1RCRD ) for the green card or wait until removal of conditions to correct it.

She is already a 10yr green card holder. I assume then if we do a name change she will have to legally change her name in the US as her SSN has the mothers maiden name. I guess our trip in August is out and may be best to shoot for citizenship then. She does not really know much about the laws in the philippines so she assumed that her middle name would be the same.

#4 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,684 posts
  • lo

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

She is already a 10yr green card holder. I assume then if we do a name change she will have to legally change her name in the US as her SSN has the mothers maiden name. I guess our trip in August is out and may be best to shoot for citizenship then. She does not really know much about the laws in the philippines so she assumed that her middle name would be the same.

She can contact the Philippine Embassy about getting an Affidavit of one in the same person to use with her Passport and Green Card for your August Trip. She can get the name changed on her green card for the $450, wait for citizenship (which has a free name change attached), or possibly even try to get the passport changed to just first name and last name, Philippine Law does not appear to require her to use a middle name.

You can even try going on your trip in August without doing anything. Just make sure the airline tickets are booked in the same name as in the passport. You only show the tickets and passport when boarding the planes and when she gets back to the U.S. she will only need to show her green card to clear customs.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#5 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Moderators
  • 3,045 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

The way she changed her name is the American custom. Philippines drops the middle name and tacks the husband's family name on to the end.

She has two options
1. Change all her American records to match her passport
2. Apply at the Philippine Consulate for an Affidavit of One and the Same Name.

The affidavit is usually used when a Filipina has remarried and the dissolution of the first marriage is not recognized by the Philippines. But you should be able to get one in this case also. It will list both names and explain that the difference is due to the passport name being defined by Philippine law.

This is a problem that is very common so the consulate will not be surprised at the request :)

Mark's suggestion that you simply ignore the difference is also commonly used :P

The adventure continues
Fritz
May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#6 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • 209 posts
  • lo

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

She can contact the Philippine Embassy about getting an Affidavit of one in the same person to use with her Passport and Green Card for your August Trip. She can get the name changed on her green card for the $450, wait for citizenship (which has a free name change attached), or possibly even try to get the passport changed to just first name and last name, Philippine Law does not appear to require her to use a middle name.

You can even try going on your trip in August without doing anything. Just make sure the airline tickets are booked in the same name as in the passport. You only show the tickets and passport when boarding the planes and when she gets back to the U.S. she will only need to show her green card to clear customs.

Seems this issue has happened to others. We will travel in August and take her birth Cert and our Marriage Cert in case we run into a problem. Will make sure ticket is in the name on the passport and go from there. Will apply for citizenship when we get back here was either do that now or go home this yr. We will also look into the Affidavit of one in the same person. Thanks for your help

#7 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,041 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

Good to see you again Matt.

#8 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • 209 posts
  • lo

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

Good to see you again Matt.

It sure has been awhile good to be back. So much has happened in these 5 short yrs. Still the best decision I ever made! Finally can afford to make the trip and then this came up and has me worried.

#9 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,041 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Well these guys are good so listen to them and every thing will work out fine.
Post some photo's of your trip when you get back. We all enjoy seeing new photo's from the Philippines.
Have a great trip.

#10 Bell2

Bell2
  • 2,219 posts
  • Local Office:OH

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:28 AM

Hi Matt. My situation is the same with your wife's situation. So, when I renew my Philippine passport they want me to change my middle name. I told them that I'll just use my single name, my name in my birth certificate, in my passport to avoid problem and I'll just bring my Marriage Certificate when I'll travel. They let me use my single name. Maybe you can change her name in her passport and use her single name.

#11 Bell2

Bell2
  • 2,219 posts
  • Local Office:OH

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:53 AM

The way she changed her name is the American custom. Philippines drops the middle name and tacks the husband's family name on to the end.

She has two options
1. Change all her American records to match her passport

Hi Fritz, I tried to change all my american records to match my new married name now but the SSN can't change my name, they said I have to change my name in my green card first. I don't want to pay $450 to change my name in my green card because I am eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship this year.

So, I still use my name in my green card. I got 3 names now. In my philippine passport I used my single name, in my green card I used my first married name, in my driver license, car insurance, life insurance I use my second married name. I just bring my first husband's death certificate, my marriage certificates when I go to the bank because the bank did not change my name. My name need to match with my SSN.

Edited by Bell2, 14 March 2012 - 04:55 AM.

#12 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Moderators
  • 3,045 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:20 AM

Hi Fritz, I tried to change all my american records to match my new married name now but the SSN can't change my name, they said I have to change my name in my green card first. I don't want to pay $450 to change my name in my green card because I am eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship this year.

So, I still use my name in my green card. I got 3 names now. In my philippine passport I used my single name, in my green card I used my first married name, in my driver license, car insurance, life insurance I use my second married name. I just bring my first husband's death certificate, my marriage certificates when I go to the bank because the bank did not change my name. My name need to match with my SSN.

Yep you get some wonderful confusion when you start dealing with the rules on names that are acceptable :)

The adventure continues
Fritz
May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users