12 replies to this topic

#1 genjenkry

genjenkry
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Pending)
  • ch

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

Pls. I need help, my dad past away just this morning in the phils. I wanna go home but i did not renew my PI passport its already expired. Is there any way i can fly for emergency or death of the family as a reason.Now, alsoim still waiting for my ten year greencard, i already had biometrics done and just waiting for my card, is there anyway i can ask USCIS to expedite the card or any form that they can give me as a proof that it was process? Im gonna call the ofc. tomorrow to clarify but i posted here just in case someone has the same experience what im having now, I just did my biometrics last dec.

#2 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,103 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • te
  • Local Office:Atlanta

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:33 AM

Pls. I need help, my dad past away just this morning in the phils. I wanna go home but i did not renew my PI passport its already expired. Is there any way i can fly for emergency or death of the family as a reason.Now, alsoim still waiting for my ten year greencard, i already had biometrics done and just waiting for my card, is there anyway i can ask USCIS to expedite the card or any form that they can give me as a proof that it was process? Im gonna call the ofc. tomorrow to clarify but i posted here just in case someone has the same experience what im having now, I just did my biometrics last dec.

when does your 2 year green card expire? the philippine embassy will give you a special letter to travel back home but you must remain there until you get a new passport to travel back to the states. however if your green card is expired or expires while you are back home then you have a problem.

Edited by rcars3, 20 January 2011 - 12:34 AM.

#3 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,297 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ch

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:40 AM

TRy calling the LAX consulate and see if they can get you in and do it there while in transit??

#4 AndrwMrk

AndrwMrk
  • Moderators
  • 1,908 posts
  • ch
  • Local Office:Chicago

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:02 AM

when does your 2 year green card expire? the philippine embassy will give you a special letter to travel back home but you must remain there until you get a new passport to travel back to the states. however if your green card is expired or expires while you are back home then you have a problem.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the NAO1 for the removal of conditions serve as proof of a one year extension on residency?

genjenkry, see if you can find your first notice of action after submitting your removal of conditions, and see what it says. I think that's your one year extension on your greencard.

Edit: I've found my wife's old NOA for when she was removing conditions, it says in the first paragraph: "Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year. During the one-year extension you are authorized employment and travel." Just find yours, genjenkry, and that should solve your greencard problem.

Edited by AndrwMrk, 20 January 2011 - 01:10 AM.

"Mix those mixed nuts! I see two almonds touching!"
~Kif Kroker

#5 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,103 posts
  • te
  • Local Office:Atlanta

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:53 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the NAO1 for the removal of conditions serve as proof of a one year extension on residency?

genjenkry, see if you can find your first notice of action after submitting your removal of conditions, and see what it says. I think that's your one year extension on your greencard.

Edit: I've found my wife's old NOA for when she was removing conditions, it says in the first paragraph: "Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year. During the one-year extension you are authorized employment and travel." Just find yours, genjenkry, and that should solve your greencard problem.

yes you are correct...you can travel in and out of the states with the letter...so she should contact the embassy and get the travel letter...but again she must agree to process her passport there before coming back to the states...i can take 6-9 weeks there....good call!!!

#6 liahsterling

liahsterling
  • Moderators
  • 1,523 posts
  • te

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

I had a problem with using just the NOA for proof of extension while removal of conditions was in process then. Some agencies wanted to see a specific date. So I had to go to a nearest USCIS office, brought my NOA and passport and they stamped an I-551 with a date on it.

#7 username

username
  • 1,918 posts
  • te
  • Local Office:Had to use snail mail

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

My wife traveled on the extension letter NOA and her expired 2 year green card. We had no issues.

#8 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,297 posts
  • ch

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

One of the issues outstanding here is her statement - I wanna go home but i did not renew my PI passport its already expired.. This is not going to allow travel with or without extension papers, right? She will need to try to get the closest consulate to hopefully fix this before she can go and I am not sure they can do it without shipping it off to the Phils for processing??

My wife traveled on the extension letter NOA and her expired 2 year green card. We had no issues.

#9 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,660 posts
  • lo

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

I would recommend that you contact the Chicago Philippine Consulate in regards to your Philippine passport. See: http://www.chicagopcg.com/contact.html

It is possible that you could fly to the Philippines on an expired Philippine passport, but I would not recommend it. The hassle would probably be enormous although you would probably end up in the Philippines sooner or later.

As others have said your NOA from your application to remove conditions should contain a one-year extension of your green card, and you should be carrying that letter with your green card.

Also keep in mind that you could get scheduled for an interview for your 10-year green card, which both your husband and you must attend, otherwise you could loose your permanent resident status and you get to go through the entire process again (starting with a new petition).

I hate to say this, but this should serve as a reminder to others to renew their passport unless they know they will not be leaving the country for any reason.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#10 genjenkry

genjenkry
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • ch

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

Thanks everyone who replied to my inquiry,Im here in the Phils. now..i mistakenly check my passport and it shows April 2011 is the expiry date.I arrived in PI Jan.23rd and my husband booked me a ticket to come back this Feb.3rd. With all the emotions im carrying when my dad past away and one main reason I did went home to PI, I didn`t really bother to ask about if i can still fly back to US even my passport will expire this coming April 2011. Someone told me I need to renew it before i can fly back, but i was thinking i can still used it to comeback to US coz it will not expire yet by the time we will be flying. But someone told me i need at least have not less than 6 months passport validity before i can fly back to US? This worry so much coz i need to go back after 10 days staying in PI coz i am a nursing student there in US and i just had an emergency excuse to be not in class for 10 days.
Im so worried now, hope anyone can help me if i am still allowed to travel back to US with my passport that will expire this april 2011 or not?If not, what is needed to be done, my flight is scheduled on Feb. 3rd already, i have my 2 year old girl with me whos a US citizen and will be travelling just me and her.Hope to hear from you again guyz.Thanks for the info in advance.

uote name='MrkGrismer' timestamp='1295533318' post='272557']
I would recommend that you contact the Chicago Philippine Consulate in regards to your Philippine passport. See: http://www.chicagopcg.com/contact.html

It is possible that you could fly to the Philippines on an expired Philippine passport, but I would not recommend it. The hassle would probably be enormous although you would probably end up in the Philippines sooner or later.

As others have said your NOA from your application to remove conditions should contain a one-year extension of your green card, and you should be carrying that letter with your green card.

Also keep in mind that you could get scheduled for an interview for your 10-year green card, which both your husband and you must attend, otherwise you could loose your permanent resident status and you get to go through the entire process again (starting with a new petition).

I hate to say this, but this should serve as a reminder to others to renew their passport unless they know they will not be leaving the country for any reason.
[/quote]

#11 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,660 posts
  • lo

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

Thanks everyone who replied to my inquiry,Im here in the Phils. now..i mistakenly check my passport and it shows April 2011 is the expiry date.I arrived in PI Jan.23rd and my husband booked me a ticket to come back this Feb.3rd. With all the emotions im carrying when my dad past away and one main reason I did went home to PI, I didn`t really bother to ask about if i can still fly back to US even my passport will expire this coming April 2011. Someone told me I need to renew it before i can fly back, but i was thinking i can still used it to comeback to US coz it will not expire yet by the time we will be flying. But someone told me i need at least have not less than 6 months passport validity before i can fly back to US? This worry so much coz i need to go back after 10 days staying in PI coz i am a nursing student there in US and i just had an emergency excuse to be not in class for 10 days.
Im so worried now, hope anyone can help me if i am still allowed to travel back to US with my passport that will expire this april 2011 or not?If not, what is needed to be done, my flight is scheduled on Feb. 3rd already, i have my 2 year old girl with me whos a US citizen and will be travelling just me and her.Hope to hear from you again guyz.Thanks for the info in advance.

You do not need to have 6 month validity to return to the U.S. You don't even need your passport, you only need your green card (that doesn't mean you should ditch your passport or anything tho ;) ). Only some countries require a 6 month validity on passports (neither the U.S. nor the Philippines are among them), if you will be traveling THROUGH one of those countries you might need to have the 6 month validity to board the plane. Double-check with your airline as they are the ones that will make the determination (because they are the ones that get fined for non-compliance).

Once you get back to the U.S. you should renew your passport as soon as possible.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#12 genjenkry

genjenkry
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • ch

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

You do not need to have 6 month validity to return to the U.S. You don't even need your passport, you only need your green card (that doesn't mean you should ditch your passport or anything tho ;) ). Only some countries require a 6 month validity on passports (neither the U.S. nor the Philippines are among them), if you will be traveling THROUGH one of those countries you might need to have the 6 month validity to board the plane. Double-check with your airline as they are the ones that will make the determination (because they are the ones that get fined for non-compliance).

Once you get back to the U.S. you should renew your passport as soon as possible.

thanks, i did call the bureau of immigration to get an answer yesterday,they said its not neccesary to have 6 months.. so no problem for me now.:)I appreciate the info.

#13 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,297 posts
  • ch

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

Good - now you can get home and get it renewed :huh:

thanks, i did call the bureau of immigration to get an answer yesterday,they said its not neccesary to have 6 months.. so no problem for me now.:)I appreciate the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users