Photo

Advantages & Dis-advantages of Dual Citizenship?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rhen

Rhen
  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ne

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:29 AM

I'm just curious to know what are the advantages and dis-advantages of having a Dual Citizenship? Please help.....

#2 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Moderators
  • 3,061 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE (Rhen @ Nov 28 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just curious to know what are the advantages and dis-advantages of having a Dual Citizenship? Please help.....

Advantage: You have the full rights and privileges of a citizen in each country where you can claim citizenship.
For a Fil-Am. You can visit US without a visa. Collect Social Security while residing almost anywhere in the world. Work at any legal job in US or Philippines. Remain in either Philippines or US with no limits on length of stay. Purchase property in Philippines without limitations on type or size other than those generally applied to all citizens.

Disadvantage: You are responsible for all obligations imposed by the government of each country where you are a citiizen. This includes taxes paid only by citizens, such as US income tax for citizens and Resident Aliens living outside US. Selective Service for US citizens & the possibility of compulsory military service in Philippines.

The pros & cons are basically the rights&privileges of each citizenship and the responsibilities&obligations of each citizenship.

If you plan to visit Philippines regularly or eventually return permanently, then retaining Philippine citizenship is desirable. Also children born to a Philippine citizen are Philippine citizens at birth in addition to any other citizenship they may be entitled to claim. They may later renounce this citizenship if they have such a need someday, but that is much easier than trying to become a Philippine citizen later in life smile.gif

Same goes for those retiring in Philippines. As long as a US citizen parent meets the basic US residency requirement, then the children will have US citizenship from birth as well as any other citizenship they may be entitled to claim. The child of a Filipino citizen & a US citizen born in a third country which grants citizenship to children born in their territory would be entitled to 3 passports, with all the rights & obligations of those 3 countries.

Unless you have a good reason for renouncing a citizenship you are entitled to, it is usually to your benefit to maintain your citizen status.

The adventure continues
Fritz
May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#3 Rhen

Rhen
  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • ne

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

Thank you Fritz for your quick reply.

So apparently, if ever I have a dual citizenship I need to pay my taxes for both US and Phil.

#4 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,701 posts
  • lo

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Rhen @ Nov 29 2010, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So apparently, if ever I have a dual citizenship I need to pay my taxes for both US and Phil.

No.

You pay taxes in the U.S. for money earned in the U.S. and you pay taxes in the Philippines for money paid in the Philippines.

The only real disadvantages to dual citizenship U.S./Philippines is divided loyalties. If something where to ever come about where the U.S. and the Philippiens where on seperate sides of a war or major issue it could cause you problems. The chances of that happening are very small.

Edited by MrkGrismer, 29 November 2010 - 02:59 PM.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#5 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Moderators
  • 3,061 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Rhen @ Nov 29 2010, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You would need to comply with the tax laws of each country. As Mark noted, both US and Philippines tend to tax domestic income streams. You will need to keep track of those taxes that you are required to pay or at least file a report on.

Usually the only time you need worry about reporting is when you have an income source in the other country. Whether that be a Philippine pension paid to someone in US or a pension or investment or other income from US paid to someone in Philippines. The latter case can occasionally require a non-citizen, outside US, with no other ties to US to file a US tax return.

A Filipino living in US as a Resident Alien will see no changes after naturalization other than gaining the right to vote in US, and the ability to travel as either a US citizen or Philippine citizen. Tax obligations will be unchanged smile.gif (This occasionally surprises American expats who thought they left the US tax system at home when they moved overseas tongue.gif )

The adventure continues
Fritz
May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users