#1 shrek

shrek
  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Pending)
  • ca

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

Hello to everyone.

I had vietnamese friend who came here 20yrs ago thru a petition of his US military father. He was handling a resident alien card and up to this time he never adjusted his status for his US citizenship. The wife of this guy is a permanent resident.

What then is the difference between resident aliean and permanent resident, in terms of benefits?

my vietnamese friend who was a resident alien was planning to petition his 15yrs old son here, is the documents required to go on the petition same as filling-up I-130?

thanks in advance for your inputs.

thanks for this very informative site as well

#2 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,514 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:21 PM

Resident alien and Permanent Resident are just two different terms for a "Green Card" holder.

For your friend to petition his 15-year-old, the waiting period will be about 5 years. If the child ages out before a visa slot is available for him, the waiting period will go up to 8 years or more.

If your friend gets U.S. citizenship, the 15-year-old will have "immediate priority" and can get here in about 9 months.

--Ray B

QUOTE (shrek @ Oct 30 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello to everyone.

I had vietnamese friend who came here 20yrs ago thru a petition of his US military father. He was handling a resident alien card and up to this time he never adjusted his status for his US citizenship. The wife of this guy is a permanent resident.

What then is the difference between resident aliean and permanent resident, in terms of benefits?

my vietnamese friend who was a resident alien was planning to petition his 15yrs old son here, is the documents required to go on the petition same as filling-up I-130?

thanks in advance for your inputs.

thanks for this very informative site as well

#3 shrek

shrek
  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Pending)
  • ca

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (rbacon @ Oct 30 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Resident alien and Permanent Resident are just two different terms for a "Green Card" holder.

For your friend to petition his 15-year-old, the waiting period will be about 5 years. If the child ages out before a visa slot is available for him, the waiting period will go up to 8 years or more.

If your friend gets U.S. citizenship, the 15-year-old will have "immediate priority" and can get here in about 9 months.

--Ray B

thanks sir ray for sharing your knowledge. god bless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users