#1 Airplane

Airplane
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • lo

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:16 PM

Hi,

I visited Cebu last july 14 to 28 to visit my fiancee. She is married but live since a long time separated from her husband.

We went to a lawyer for some information about annulment.

He told us. The best way is decaration of death. It take 6 months and the cost is 55000 Peso.

But i read here in the forum, many opinions about it.

I dont know what to do ......................what is the best we can do now?

Thanks for your answers in advance

#2 Cartero

Cartero
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

You will be running a risk that for $1000 and a few months time that a full declaration of nulity would take that the husband will return from the dead and ruin the plan.

#3 soniamull

soniamull
  • 1,790 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Airplane @ Aug 15 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I visited Cebu last july 14 to 28 to visit my fiancee. She is married but live since a long time separated from her husband.
He told us. The best way is decaration of death. It take 6 months and the cost is 55000 Peso.

I'd say NO to that lawyer. I wonder what school did he come from to practice law and give such a kind of dumb legal advice. I think such kind of lawyer as he is, he should declare himself as a dead lawyer who only knows how to collect money but doesn't have any idea how his advice and action will affect his prospective clients.
I would like to recommend to you the lawyer I hired in 2006 who initially handled my case in January and finally handed to me the approved annulment (Final Decision) in the following June (took him 5 months only). His name is Atty. Saquilayan who used to be the Clerk of Court from the Regional Trial Court in Imus, Cavite, telephone number 046-471-5360. He is now at his private practice. All his clients enjoy the privilege of being previously associated with the court he used to work at. Let's call it "influence", which I think as good and consider a huge advantage.
Three years ago, his contract fee, otherwise treated as a package fee, was P100,000. I begged a discount fee thus he priced me down to P90,000 only.

P.S. for Gregg: This is a different lawyer I was trying to recommend last year. I thought you were looking for a low annulment fee (5-digit package fee) so I referred you to my previous boss. I didn't realize that lawyer who used to work as a manager with the same bank I worked with, is charging way too high package fee these days.

AlvinMe6a.jpg Sonia6.jpg

Please support JIREH LIM, our very own Pinoy Talent, the Prince of Acoustic Love Songs!
https://www.youtube....jireh214/videos

#4 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,515 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Airplane @ Aug 15 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

#5 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,515 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

Airplane,

You were being lowballed with a legal procedure which is viewed with suspicion by the U.S. Embassy, with whom you must deal many months later. The attorney with whom you spoke was offering a "presumed death" annulment procedure, something which has already resulted in attorneys there receiving judicial discipline, judges being criticized, and the U.S. Embassy denying visas.

That's not to say that "presumed death" is not a valid basis for an annulment....but it is also a catchall for foreigners seeking faster legal documents at lower fees than legitimate annulments.

--Ray B

QUOTE (Airplane @ Aug 15 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

#6 zzzlpr

zzzlpr
  • 3,843 posts
  • ve

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

Simple argument against the "presumed dead" option.
The loser shows up and your party is over.

The best bet, and it is what we used, is the "no sanity" at the moment of the first marriage (which in our case sounds like the absolute truth smile.gif, must be crazy to marry that loser).

Find a good lawyer, this isn't, with a good track record.
Talk with people that he/she work with.

Cheers,

Carlos.

ps. the reason why these lawyers suggest the "presumed dead" is the money/work ratio. The lawyer makes a little less money with this option, but with very little work.
"A man does not know how alive he can be until a sweet Pinay steals his heart."
my point of view

11/08/2007 - Annulment Process Started
08/21/2008 - Annulment Granted
09/05/2008 - Annulment Court Order Issued
09/10/2008 - Mailed I-129F
09/11/2008 - Arrived at VSC
09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued
01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued
02/07/2009 - Manila Case Number Letter Received from NVC
02/15/2009 - Interview Scheduled for March, 23rd 2009
03/02/2009 - Passed Medical
03/23/2009 - Interview, all went well but NBI Clearance on her Married Name was missing
03/25/2009 - Delivered NBI Clearance to US Embassy
04/17/2009 - Visa on hand
04/24/2009 - CFO done
05/13/2009 - Arrived in US
06/01/2009 - Applied for SSN
06/02/2009 - Pending Immunizations done
06/05/2009 - Received SSN
06/22/2009 - Got Married "downtown" style
06/27/2009 - Requested sealed envelop with immunization form from Civil Dr.
07/03/2009 - Received sealed envelop from Dr.
07/14/2009 - Mailed the AOS
07/16/2009 - AOS arrived USCIS
07/20/2009 - AOS NOA1 Issued
08/21/2009 - Biometrics at local USCIS Office
09/10/2009 - Received EAD cards
11/17/2009 - AOS interview. Given a favorable decision.
11/27/2009 - Received the GC
10/07/2011 - Mailed the ROC
10/11/2011 - Arrived at VSC
10/18/2011 - ROC NOA Received (contains the 1 year extension)
11/14/2011 - Received ROC Biometrics Appointment Notification
12/09/2011 - ROC Biometrics
07/19/2012 - ROC Approved letter(no interview, even though I forgot to send a copy of the GC)
07/25/2012 - 10 year GC Arrived

#7 Ampalaya

Ampalaya

Latest creation!

• 4,744 posts
  • Interests:Staying VERTICAL!!
  • ca
  • Local Office:Honolulu.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (zzzlpr @ Aug 15 2009, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best bet, and it is what we used, is the "no sanity" at the moment of the first marriage (which in our case sounds like the absolute truth smile.gif , must be crazy to marry that loser).

Cheers,

Carlos.

ps. the reason why these lawyers suggest the "presumed dead" is the money/work ratio. The lawyer makes a little less money with this option, but with very little work.

Yo Los,
What was the time and cost of your lady's annulment?
Where was it done also?
Denied K1, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption and US Citizenship. Dual citizenship.
All PAU!
Been there! Did it all!

#8 Airplane

Airplane
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • lo

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for your advise

#9 denterprise

denterprise
  • Moderators
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:Basketball, tennis, traveling
  • te
  • Local Office:Orlando

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

I don't know what the standard fees are for a lawyer to handle this type of case but I am sure it would be cheaper if your fiancee met with the lawyer alone and did not mention you. Once they know a foreigner is in the picture the price will surly go up. .
God is Good all the time

Dave

#10 Cartero

Cartero
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (denterprise @ Aug 16 2009, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know what the standard fees are for a lawyer to handle this type of case but I am sure it would be cheaper if your fiancee met with the lawyer alone and did not mention you. Once they know a foreigner is in the picture the price will surly go up. .

I often question that aside from those seeking a political career how often do Filipinos get annulments when there is no foriegner involved whose government will only allow a spouse and not a girlfriend to be petitioned. From my family and the extended friend network I have seen a 50% family break up rate and all in society seem to accept the separated spouse living together with the new boyfriend/girlfriend although it is against the law. Shall we look at Kris Aquino's life? ohmy.gif

http://services.inqu...20080210-117984
OSG alarmed by rising marriage annulment cases

By Kristine L. Alave
Philippine Daily Inquirer

Posted date: February 10, 2008

MANILA, Philippines -- The number of marriage annulment cases in the country has been rising at an alarming rate, the Office of the Solicitor General, whose task is to challenge every petition for annulment, has said.

Speaking at a recent news forum at Ortigas Center, Solicitor General Agnes Devanadera expressed surprise at the number of annulment cases landing on her desk.

Devanadera's office represents the State in all its cases, including the annulment of marriages, which the State has the duty to protect.

From only one or two cases a week in the past, the number of marriage annulment cases received by Devanadera rose to eight cases a week in 2007.

"We are disturbed by the surge in the number of annulments of marriage filed," she said.

Statistics from the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) showed that 7,753 annulment cases were filed in 2007 compared to 7,138 in 2006.

Before 2006, the number of annulment cases never breached the 7,000-mark.

Pressed to explain the surge, Devanadera said it could be because society now accepted separated couples.

"The society tolerates it. It is now acceptable for a couple to be separated," she said.

Devanadera said the Catholic Church should be aware of the trend and help troubled couples.

"We call on the Church to do something about this," she said, noting that break-ups had the greatest effect on the children. "In the end, the losers are the children," she said.

According to Devanadera, the rising number of annulment cases has also affected the undermanned OSG.

She noted that more cases meant more work for her lawyers, who must also represent the government in other cases such as the ownership battle for the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 and the recovery of the ill-gotten Marcos wealth.

An annulment is the only option for Filipino couples who want to cut and cut cleanly from their marriages since the government does not recognize divorce. The Philippines is the only country, aside from Malta, that has no divorce law.

The last time a divorce bill was introduced in the House of Representatives was in 2005. It was authored by Liza Maza, of the Gabriela Women's party-list group, who said the annulment process has been expensive for most Filipinos and has not been responsive to the needs of women, particularly those suffering from marital abuse.

Although the author says that separated couples are accepted leading to more outright annulments the rate of 8 thousand a year out of 90 million still seems low.

#11 zzzlpr

zzzlpr
  • 3,843 posts
  • ve

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Ampalaya @ Aug 15 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yo Los,
What was the time and cost of your lady's annulment?
Where was it done also?

It was done in Laguna.
She was living in Manila, but we got his name from a classmate in her college.
Could be better, but I say it worked pretty good.

As far as cost, it depends on how fast you want.
The table goes like, $1-2K in about one year, $3K in about 7 months, but the $8K special can get you in less than 60 days(this I only heard exists).
I opted for the middle price. wink.gif

QUOTE (denterprise @ Aug 16 2009, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, but if the lawyer is half smart, the first question is "Why did you decide to file?". Couple of questions later, and I am sure he knows which service center the kano is going to file the visa. wink.gif

BTW, the key with any annulment is $$$.

DO NOT PAY IT IN FULL!!!!!!!

We had a schedule by deliverable, and the last 1/3 was not paid until the annulment was on hand.

Cheers,

Carlos.

Edited by zzzlpr, 16 August 2009 - 09:38 PM.

my point of view

09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued
01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued
03/23/2009 - Interview, all went well but NBI Clearance on her Married Name was missing
04/24/2009 - CFO done
07/19/2012 - ROC Approved letter(no interview, even though I forgot to send a copy of the GC)

#12 Pilot Mike

Pilot Mike
  • 872 posts
  • ve

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (zzzlpr @ Aug 16 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DO NOT PAY IT IN FULL!!!!!!!

We had a schedule by deliverable, and the last 1/3 was not paid until the annulment was on hand.

Cheers,

Carlos.

We also went by milestones agreed to up front. The atty was very trustworthy but we never gave the final payment until the papers were filed in Binyan and at the NSO.

5 months for a questionable annulment is a risk in my opinion when you can do 6 months guaranteed and get it all done. Husband will never know what hit him. In our case, he was not to be found anyway as he walked away from the family years ago. But still there are ways.

To the other replies, no matter how the annulment was done even ifs its a presumed dead type thing, why in the world would the embassy deny that the annulment took place if they have the proper paperwork? I dont understand that at all.
My OCD has ADD and the voices in my head are speaking Polish....

#13 Cartero

Cartero
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (Pilot Mike @ Aug 17 2009, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We also went by milestones agreed to up front. The atty was very trustworthy but we never gave the final payment until the papers were filed in Binyan and at the NSO.

5 months for a questionable annulment is a risk in my opinion when you can do 6 months guaranteed and get it all done. Husband will never know what hit him. In our case, he was not to be found anyway as he walked away from the family years ago. But still there are ways.

To the other replies, no matter how the annulment was done even ifs its a presumed dead type thing, why in the world would the embassy deny that the annulment took place if they have the proper paperwork? I dont understand that at all.

Ever notice how USEM keeps changing its procedures, perhaps when dealing with a political culture of corruption paper work ain't worth the paper its printed on. The Republic of Philippines itself doesn't even accept a judge's decision as the Solicitor General has to come back and investigate again after the nulity is issued.

#14 Pilot Mike

Pilot Mike
  • 872 posts
  • ve

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (Cartero @ Aug 17 2009, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ever notice how USEM keeps changing its procedures, perhaps when dealing with a political culture of corruption paper work ain't worth the paper its printed on. The Republic of Philippines itself doesn't even accept a judge's decision as the Solicitor General has to come back and investigate again after the nulity is issued.

Understood. But if its added as fact to the holy grail that is the NSO, I am assuming its gone through all the formalities like you spoke of.

Point being, paid for annulment, gone through process, SG 'approves' or 'accepts gift', NSO registered. Why is it up to the USEM to decide if something is real or not? And if, as the previous poster mentioned, that some types of annulments result in denial of visa, why? As a person that has had considerable experience in this, what are the reasons they have? I am assuming if its documented and submitted why does the embassy care? They can verify docs all day long but the point is where they going to verify them? NSO. I am sure they are not sending runners to all points in the phils to investigate every courthouse when the same documentation is submitted to the NSO.

Im not trying to hijack this thread I just want to know why some people feel like that.

Maybe I am not making sense.
My OCD has ADD and the voices in my head are speaking Polish....

#15 Airplane

Airplane
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • lo

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (zzzlpr @ Aug 15 2009, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best bet, and it is what we used, is the "no sanity" at the moment of the first marriage (which in our case sounds like the absolute truth smile.gif, must be crazy to marry that loser).

Cheers,

Carlos.

Yes OK, Find a good lawyer, but how I know who is a good lawyer?

#16 zzzlpr

zzzlpr
  • 3,843 posts
  • ve

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Airplane @ Aug 19 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is not different than how you would look for a divorce lawyer here.
This is how I did.
I told my wife to look for people that actually did an annulment.
We partially based our decision on how reliable was the person she knows and how was the experience.
In our case one classmate in her university did her annulment successfully and indicated to a 2nd that was underway at that time.
It is tough cause I was not there to "interview" the client, so I had to rely on my wife's perception, but all went well.

Questions that I found important:

What were the steps?
How long?
How much? (this helped keeping the price align with the one done by a pinay)
How did you pay?
Any problems?
Any risks?

Once we had all this info, I told her to visit the lawyer and obtain all the information from him.
I compared the answers and decided to go with him.

It is all common sense.
For example, a good lawyer won't hide that there are risks, or promise something impossible.

It was not all smooth sailing, I had to push a little, and 3 WoF members helped me to keep him in check.
I asked questions to these members during the process, so I knew if the lawyer was telling me the truth.

This is not something to take lightly, it does involve risks (ANY annulment can be rejected) and cost a lot (at least for me), so you all have to do your homework.

Cheers,

Carlos.
my point of view

09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued
01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued
04/24/2009 - CFO done

#17 lalaine

lalaine
  • 249 posts
  • ca

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (Airplane @ Aug 19 2009, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i know one good lawyer for annulment in our place he is a friend of my uncle
infact he is the one handled the annulment case of my co teacher in butuan city.
most of his cases is annulment and as far as i know evrything is granrted...
K-1 TIMELINE    
04/18/08 FILE K-1 VISA 09/12/08 approve
AOS
01/21/09 FILE 03/30/09 GOT THE 2 yrs GC

REMOVE CONDITIONS
01/24/11 SENT TO CALIFORNIA
02/02/11 RCVD NOA-1
02/07/11 Rcvd biometrics schedule
02/18/11 Biometrics
03/28/11 Rcvd Approval notice from DHS for my 10 yrs greencard
03/29/11 GOT MY 10 YRS GREENCARD TODAY.

#18 zzzlpr

zzzlpr
  • 3,843 posts
  • ve

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (lalaine @ Aug 19 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i know one good lawyer for annulment in our place he is a friend of my uncle
infact he is the one handled the annulment case of my co teacher in butuan city.
most of his cases is annulment and as far as i know evrything is granrted...

This is exactly how you should start.
Get a reference and do the home work.

Most cases are granted, but is not 100% risk free.

Cheers,

Carlos.
my point of view

09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued
01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued
04/24/2009 - CFO done

#19 Gregg

Gregg
  • 1,529 posts
  • ca

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:35 AM

Airplane, you've gotten some good replies here.

I'll relay my experience and you can add it to what you've heard so far and hopefully it will help guide you to whatever decision you decide to make.

I think you just do the best you can under the circumstances. You don't have much leverage when hiring a lawyer half way around the world. In my case, the first lawyer we contacted recommended the 'presumptive death petition' and we went along with it thinking it would be quicker and less expensive than an annulment. After receiving advice by members here we pulled out of the deal forfeiting half the retainer. Then I found a well recommended lawyer who was known for quick and reliable service... but he would not return my emails. Eventually, we found a lawyer who was a family friend, competent and reliable.. but wasn't keen on a 'pay as you go' deal. We wound up going with this guy and paid up front. This was a year ago almost. He hasn't disappointed us except that he wasn't well connected in the home town court system where my fiance lives and as such wasn't able to pull any 'favors'. After a hearing where the judge didn't bother to show up do to vague illnesses, and having hearing dates postponed for a couple of months only to have the same thing happen again and again, my fiance contacted the court clerk herself to see if she could 'help the process along'. It was an amazing transformation. After 'tipping' a few folks in the right places, things are moving quickly now.

Who knows? If we had decided to go with the presumptive death thing, she might be here by now. And once she gets here and we are married, I don't think it matters if you go presumptive death or annulment.

For me, it didn't seem worth the risk that the ex would show up before interview time for no other reason than to ruin everything. .. or for a hand out, although as far as the handout part goes it's being handled well even with out him.

03/22/08 Met on CB
09/12/08 Met in person
09/15/08 Engaged
10/16/08 Annulment filed
09/16/09 2nd trip
01/26/11 Annulment granted finally!

........K1 TIME LINE......

01/29/11 K-1 packet mailed to Dallas TX
02/05/11 Package delivered
02/14/11 Received NOA1
05/20/11 Received NAO2 APPROVED!
05/27/11 Received case #
06/15/11 Medical - Sputum cultures ordered - result positive
07/13/11 TB treatment started
09/11/11 3rd trip to Philippines
01/14/12 TB treatment at Saint Luke's Completed
02/10/12 Results of final sputum culture negative
02/14/12 Re-medical
02/26/12 Medical clearance obtained
03/27/12 Embassy interview - Approved!
04/12/12 Visa Received!! - What a great day!!
04/24/12 CFO stickers obtained
04/27/12 Arrive at O'Hare at 8:40 AM via Japan Airlines
05/10/12 Wedded Bilss!

#20 LING LING

LING LING
  • 509 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (Airplane @ Aug 16 2009, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

CEBU?? HUH??OOHH WELL... WHAT DO U EXPECT!! "not all" I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE THERE ARE LIKE THAT!!! WE ENCOUNTER A LOT OF S***T THERE.. MONEY MONEY MONEY.. MAYBE ITS BECAUSE " U R A WHITE GUY" YOUR SKIN HAS A GOOD PRICE $$$$$$.....

IF I WHERE U, FIND A GOOD LAWYER, WHO WOULD REALLY HELP YOU.. JUST THINK THE CONSEQUENCES IF EVER U WILL FOLLOW HIS ADVICE!! LAWYER LIKE HIM WE CALLED HERE ' MUKHANG PERA"

JUST GO WITH THE LEGAL WAY. AT LIST U KNOW IN UR HEART THAT UR PAPERS ARE LEGAL. THINK FOR THE FUTURE OF UR PAPER'S ....WHAT IF SOON THEY WILL FOUND OUT THAT THE GUY STILL ALIVE? SO, ITS MORE COMPLICATED..

YEH ITS TAKES A YEAR'S TO GET AN ANNULMENT BUT AT LIST ALL ARE LEGAL PAPERS.

GOD BLESS U
AND HOPE EVERYTHING WILL WORK
JUST PRAY AND GOOD LUCK

:-)

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users