100 replies to this topic

#1 chris08

chris08
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

I have met a woman online 3 months ago, and she is wonderful. She's never asked for money, and I know she's sincere. But she just told me a few nights ago that she belongs to the religion 'Iglesia Ni Cristo'. I've never heard of that until she told me, and I've searched it and asked about it on other forums. Just like any other religion, there is negative feedback about it. The scariest thing I've read and heard is that the members of that religion are 'cult' like, extreme about 'pushing' people into their beliefs. She has never tried to push her religion on me, and also said she would accept her being banished from her religion just to marry me. I'm catholic, and from USA.

If anyone can give any feedback or experiences with this religion, positive or negative, please reply. blink.gif

#2 soniamull

soniamull
  • 1,790 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(chris08 @ Apr 27 2008, 05:57 PM)  
I have met a woman online 3 months ago, and she is wonderful. She's never asked for money, and I know she's sincere. But she just told me a few nights ago that she belongs to the religion 'Iglesia Ni Cristo'. I've never heard of that until she told me, and I've searched it and asked about it on other forums. Just like any other religion, there is negative feedback about it. The scariest thing I've read and heard is that the members of that religion are 'cult' like, extreme about 'pushing' people into their beliefs. She has never tried to push her religion on me, and also said she would accept her being banished from her religion just to marry me. I'm catholic, and from USA.

If anyone can give any feedback or experiences with this religion, positive or negative, please reply. blink.gif

Have you tried googling their site online?
Based on what I heard from friends and officemates belonging to Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ), their claim is that there is only one God, the Father as their sole God. Christ for them is just a son of man, not really a God at all. I find their literal title as irony to their own basic faith. They should have not used the word Christ in their denomination only to disown Jesus' diety. This is just my opinion.
How can a person have a great relationship with Jesus if that person denies Jesus' lordship and kingship over his life? I am not sure if they also deny the Holy Spirit.

AlvinMe6a.jpg Sonia6.jpg

Please support JIREH LIM, our very own Pinoy Talent, the Prince of Acoustic Love Songs!
https://www.youtube....jireh214/videos

#3 Mrs_Tee

Mrs_Tee
  • Members
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, eating, and traveling.
  • Visa type:IR-1
  • te

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE(chris08 @ Apr 27 2008, 09:57 PM)  

Hi chris08:

I don't want to scare you, or something, but this is my first-hand experience with the Iglesia ni Cristo fanatics.

First of all, I have a first degree cousin from my maternal side who happens to be Iglesia ni Cristo. Although, it's very hard for me to concur with their religious dogma, I find them very nice, very religious, and friendly nonetheless. One thing that I've noticed though is they try to entice you to be part of them especially if you are close to their hearts, family, or even relatives. I find it very annoying sometimes as they won't stop until you would tell them so.

Personally, what I have learned from them is that if one of their members had a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship outside their church, or who had different religious beliefs, they tried to convert the person before it would lead to marriage. Even if they were still in a relationship, or in their early stage of courtship, they would entice their boyfriends/girlfriends to become part of them. The minister of the church would not marry them until they would embrace their religion, or their religious teachings, and become part of them.

In a worst case scenario, if the "outsider or unbeliever" would strongly dissuade to become part of them, the members would have to choose whether to stay in their church, or to be excommunicated and follow their hearts. This is the reason why that a few of my friends who belonged in this church before, they followed their hearts and left the congregation. It's a bit odd, but I guess most of them are being taught that way.

Sincerely,

Mrs_Tee

#4 Ella

Ella
  • Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE(Mrs_Tee @ Apr 27 2008, 04:56 PM)  
Hi chris08:

I don't want to scare you, or something, but this is my first-hand experience with the Iglesia ni Cristo fanatics.

First of all, I have a first degree cousin from my maternal side who happens to be Iglesia ni Cristo. Although, it's very hard for me to concur with their religious dogma, I find them very nice, very religious, and friendly nonetheless. One thing that I've noticed though is they try to entice you to be part of them especially if you are close to their hearts, family, or even relatives. I find it very annoying sometimes as they won't stop until you would tell them so.

Personally, what I have learned from them is that if one of their members had a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship outside their church, or who had different religious beliefs, they tried to convert the person before it would lead to marriage. Even if they were still in a relationship, or in their early stage of courtship, they would entice their boyfriends/girlfriends to become part of them. The minister of the church would not marry them until they would embrace their religion, or their religious teachings, and become part of them.

In a worst case scenario, if the "outsider or unbeliever" would strongly dissuade to become part of them, the members would have to choose whether to stay in their church, or to be excommunicated and follow their hearts. This is the reason why that a few of my friends who belonged in this church before, they followed their hearts and left the congregation. It's a bit odd, but I guess most of them are being taught that way.

Sincerely,

Mrs_Tee

Yes Tes, it is true.. my elder sis' Ex-boyfriend is I.N.C. so they sent her some books about their religion and books about Felix Manalo. When father knew about it, He sent them back the NOVENA BOOKLET and some other Catholic stuffs laugh.gif
You will be sad I understand, but don't let grief then stay your hand, For on this day, more than the rest, your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years, you wouldn't want me to suffer so. When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend, only, stay with me.. until the end, and hold me firm and speak to me until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree, it is a kindness you do to me. Although my tail at last has waved, from suffering I have been saved.

We've been so close--we two---these years, don't let your heart hold any tears."

= Unknown=

#5 chris08

chris08
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • te

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:06 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies. She doesn't seem to push it on me, and like i said, she even said she would marry me and take the risk of being banished from her church. Her mom is originally INC, and her dad was catholic, then converted. He sisters have married catholics, but I'm not sure if they converted or not. Her parents don't seem to be the 'extreme' type. She has told them about her feelings for me, and that i'm catholic, and they told her as long as she's happy.

As long as she's not an atheist, then i'm ok with it... hahahaha.. Though there are extremists in every religion. tongue.gif

#6 mgmarly

mgmarly
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:love life, outdoors, travel, family, food, music, internet, nature, purses, shoes :)
  • te

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE(chris08 @ Apr 27 2008, 11:06 PM)  
Thanks for everyone's replies. She doesn't seem to push it on me, and like i said, she even said she would marry me and take the risk of being banished from her church. Her mom is originally INC, and her dad was catholic, then converted. He sisters have married catholics, but I'm not sure if they converted or not. Her parents don't seem to be the 'extreme' type. She has told them about her feelings for me, and that i'm catholic, and they told her as long as she's happy.

As long as she's not an atheist, then i'm ok with it... hahahaha.. Though there are extremists in every religion. tongue.gif

Hi Chris! People who are saying negative things about the Church of Christ are those who didn't know what the doctrine is.
If they will listen and understand the doctrine well, they may be enlightened smile.gif

Marly
------------------------------------------

My Blogs:
Mhar's Display
Mommy's Bright Bundles
Online Notebook
My Dream Love
Foodsense
Blogger's Tech Notes

June 2006 - Met online
March/April 2007-First meeting/visit
April 1, 2007 - First date, Sulo Hotel/Diwata Bar
April 4, 2007 - Engagement, Ormoc City-Sabin Hotel (with family)
April 8-12, 2007 - Summer get-away, Puerto Galera
June 2007 - K-1 Visa application
October 2007 - Visa approved!
November 2007 - We met again (wonderful!)
January 29, 2008 - Medical exam, St. Lukes Manila
February 05, 2008 - Interview, US Embassy Manila (Approved!)
February 11, 2008 - Received my K-1 Visa
February 23, 2008 - Flew to Texas, USA via KE (DFW-POE)
April 01, 2008 - Td shot (Ouch!)
April 05, 2008 - Wedding Shower (great!)
April 12, 2008 - Wedding at The Rose Garden(Tyler, TX)

May 23, 2008 - Filed AOS
June 7, 2008 - NOA received for I-485, I-765, I-131
June9, 2008 - Received ASC letter
June 24, 2008 - Biometrics
July 9, 2009 - AOS transferred to CA
July 28, 2008 - AOS approved
Aug. 5, 2008 - Received the Residency Card
May 5, 2010 - Mailed packet for Removal of Conditions
July 11, 2010 - Biometrics
August 2, 2010 - Application Approved (online status update)
August 17, 2010 - Received GC in the mail

#7 chris08

chris08
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • te

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(mgmarly @ Apr 28 2008, 05:43 AM)  
Hi Chris! People who are saying negative things about the Church of Christ are those who didn't know what the doctrine is.
If they will listen and understand the doctrine well, they may be enlightened smile.gif

Marly

I agree Marly. There are a few things i disagree with in their beliefs, but the main thing is that they believe in God. It doesn't matter what someone thinks God looks like, as long as they believe in a power beyond this earth. She's a good girl too, so I'll have to give her a shot and meet her when I go there to see what becomes of it.

#8 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,696 posts
  • lo

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

Wikipedia seems to give a good overview: http://en.wikipedia....lesia_ni_Cristo

Because of what you said above (in bold) it probably won't be a big deal. Probably the biggest thing to keep in mind is that you won't be be able to have a church wedding until one or the other converts.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#9 chris08

chris08
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • te

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(MrkGrismer @ Apr 28 2008, 12:52 PM)  
Wikipedia seems to give a good overview: http://en.wikipedia....lesia_ni_Cristo

Because of what you said above (in bold) it probably won't be a big deal. Probably the biggest thing to keep in mind is that you won't be be able to have a church wedding until one or the other converts.

Thanks for the link. Well, we're doing the fiancee' visa and will have a civil wedding here in the USA, and a marriage reception/party in the Phil.'s before she arrives in USA. I see a lot of people's timelines on here seem to be moving faster than what the govt. visa sites claim for processing times. I am REALLY amazed at how fast a lot of women are getting the visa in hand!

#10 Ampalaya

Ampalaya

Latest creation!

• 4,744 posts
  • Interests:Staying VERTICAL!!
  • ca
  • Local Office:Honolulu.

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:46 AM

My wife and daughter were INC before we married. They gave the religion up when we married without trying to convert me or any problems at all.
In the 4 years we've been together I've never heard a word about religion.
I know the religion well and to me it's one of the better religions there is.
I'm not very religiuos but if I were to pick one INC would be one of the ones at the top of the list.
All our family in the Philippines are INC and great people. Mostly younger people in INC.
The catholic religion basically wrecked the Philippines and other countries not allowing birth control.
INC allows BC.

Nothing personal to all you Catholics but the facts speak for themseves.
Hopefully INC will end up being one of the most popular religions there.
May be a chance for the Philippines yet if there is better population control there.
Same goes for the entire world tho.

Edited by Ampalaya, 29 April 2008 - 12:49 AM.

Denied K1, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption and US Citizenship. Dual citizenship.
All PAU!
Been there! Did it all!

#11 chris08

chris08
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • te

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE(Ampalaya @ Apr 29 2008, 12:46 AM)  
My wife and daughter were INC before we married. They gave the religion up when we married without trying to convert me or any problems at all.
In the 4 years we've been together I've never heard a word about religion.
I know the religion well and to me it's one of the better religions there is.
I'm not very religiuos but if I were to pick one INC would be one of the ones at the top of the list.
All our family in the Philippines are INC and great people. Mostly younger people in INC.
The catholic religion basically wrecked the Philippines and other countries not allowing birth control.
INC allows BC.

Nothing personal to all you Catholics but the facts speak for themseves.
Hopefully INC will end up being one of the most popular religions there.
May be a chance for the Philippines yet if there is better population control there.
Same goes for the entire world tho.

I agree with you about population control. That is one of the reasons our world has so many problems right now. Thanks for your insight.

#12 yap

yap
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • te

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:31 AM

Hello Chris, I am married now for ten years with an INC member, the first time a met her she told me already she will never abandon her religeon. I can tell you marrying her is the best thing that happened in my life. After our marriage in philippines we moved to europe ,and we have 2 wonderfull kids now. Catholics keep on attacking the INC by saying its a sect, who says that Jesus is man not God. If people read the bible they can read its Jesus Christ himself who state many times: Altough Iam Gods son ,I am just a man with flesh and bones. Chris if the girl you met is sincere, dont worry about the religion, INC is surely not something like a dangerous sect as others may say. I wish you al the best.

#13 Cartero

Cartero
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(chris08 @ Apr 28 2008, 02:30 PM)  
Thanks for the link. Well, we're doing the fiancee' visa and will have a civil wedding here in the USA, and a marriage reception/party in the Phil.'s before she arrives in USA. I see a lot of people's timelines on here seem to be moving faster than what the govt. visa sites claim for processing times. I am REALLY amazed at how fast a lot of women are getting the visa in hand!

I know its off topic of an interfaith relationship with this specific Christian cult, sect or denomination but you should be REALLY amazed that a woman would drop a tenant of her professed faith to go so far into the planning to marry a man she has been online chating for only three months.

#14 chris08

chris08
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • te

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(Cartero @ May 7 2008, 10:03 AM)  
I know its off topic of an interfaith relationship with this specific Christian cult, sect or denomination but you should be REALLY amazed that a woman would drop a tenant of her professed faith to go so far into the planning to marry a man she has been online chating for only three months.

Well, she told me she would 'risk' her religion banishing her. They might not have even found out, because we will have a civil wedding in US. Also, I never 'officially' asked her to marry me yet. We were just talking about 'if' we marry. By three months time, I know for sure if a woman is right for me or not, in person or on the net. I didn't meet her on a 'dating' site either, it was on myspace. So, she wasn't looking a husband or a boyfriend, ratherless a foreigner, and I wasn't looking for an instant wife. She is sick of young, immature boys, and loves my maturity and respect for her. By the way, she's only 19 and I'm 29, and she has one year left of college. After 3 months, we talked of the obvious way that a long term relationship would end up, and that is in marriage.

Since then, I have decided to convert to INC, because I don't want it to weigh on her heart if she is banished. Besides, the catholic church has it's own negative opinions and questionable beliefs and history. I was raised in a catholic church since a child.

#15 mgmarly

mgmarly
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:love life, outdoors, travel, family, food, music, internet, nature, purses, shoes :)
  • te

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(chris08 @ Apr 28 2008, 04:59 AM)  
I agree Marly. There are a few things i disagree with in their beliefs, but the main thing is that they believe in God. It doesn't matter what someone thinks God looks like, as long as they believe in a power beyond this earth. She's a good girl too, so I'll have to give her a shot and meet her when I go there to see what becomes of it.

I wish you and your gf all the best Chris. I am so happy that she's a member of Church of Christ.
I know you will cherish and treasure her.
God bless!

Marly

My Blogs:
Mhar's Display
Mommy's Bright Bundles
Online Notebook
My Dream Love
Foodsense
Blogger's Tech Notes

June 2006 - Met online
March/April 2007-First meeting/visit
April 1, 2007 - First date, Sulo Hotel/Diwata Bar
April 4, 2007 - Engagement, Ormoc City-Sabin Hotel (with family)
April 8-12, 2007 - Summer get-away, Puerto Galera
June 2007 - K-1 Visa application
October 2007 - Visa approved!
November 2007 - We met again (wonderful!)
January 29, 2008 - Medical exam, St. Lukes Manila
February 05, 2008 - Interview, US Embassy Manila (Approved!)
February 11, 2008 - Received my K-1 Visa
February 23, 2008 - Flew to Texas, USA via KE (DFW-POE)
April 01, 2008 - Td shot (Ouch!)
April 05, 2008 - Wedding Shower (great!)
April 12, 2008 - Wedding at The Rose Garden(Tyler, TX)

May 23, 2008 - Filed AOS
June 7, 2008 - NOA received for I-485, I-765, I-131
June9, 2008 - Received ASC letter
June 24, 2008 - Biometrics
July 9, 2009 - AOS transferred to CA
July 28, 2008 - AOS approved
Aug. 5, 2008 - Received the Residency Card
May 5, 2010 - Mailed packet for Removal of Conditions
July 11, 2010 - Biometrics
August 2, 2010 - Application Approved (online status update)
August 17, 2010 - Received GC in the mail

#16 chris08

chris08
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • te

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE(mgmarly @ May 7 2008, 04:25 PM)  
I wish you and your gf all the best Chris. I am so happy that she's a member of Church of Christ.
I know you will cherish and treasure her.
God bless!

Marly

Thanks Marly. I've met many pinay's in person while in the Army and chatted with many online. This one is unique. For one, she's NEVER asked for money, and she's VERY intelligent, graduating in a year with a Bachelors degree in Elementary Education. I have had many fall in love with me in a few days, and many ask for money. I will convert to INC, even though she said she'd risk being banished. We'll marry in the USA once she gets her Visa, but I love her too much to let her heart be in pain from knowing she turned her back on her religion. I hear a lot of issues on these forums about women asking for money, and age differences. But she'll be 20 soon, and i'll be 30 soon. She's young, but is tired of young, immature guys and the games they play. I feel lucky to have found her. I can't even begin to describe how wonderful she is. Of course she's a female, and loves children. So she wants to put her career on hold to have a baby as soon as we get married.

I don't know how they raise these girls in INC, but her faithfulness, and loyalty to her ONE and ONLY man is rare. I'm sure you know what I mean.

#17 Elja

Elja
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • ch

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hey Chris, people could not say someone is great or honest just because he/she belongs to a certain religion and at the same time one could not judge a woman just because she happens to be Iglesia Ni Cristo.... that from what other people hear is a cult, or annoying, or fanatics. Yes, we are all entitled to our own opinion but we could certainly not judge a person entirely by association. If I believed what I heard that white men are cheap and users, I would have not married my husband....even when I thought that one of my Catholic neighbor is such a b***h, I didn't think that all Catholics are the same. I wouldn't cringe to talk to a person just because he/she happens to come from the same country that Osama Bin Laden is from. We could not simply generalize if we only know a few out of the many.....If we will ONLY base everything on religion as to a person's behavior and personality, we will be at a loss, really. Upbringing, family and environment are also important factors that we should also consider not just on what religion the person belongs to.

You certainly mean so much to her because she considered getting out of her religion to be with you. She never asked for money and is very intelligent as you mentioned...obviously, she gives you that impression that she is a good person, otherwise you would have moved on ahead long ago without even bothering to think about her or her religion. Why not concentrate instead on getting to know her better, the kind of family she has in the Philippines , her goals in life and her overall motivation in marriage. In the end, everything will be up to you...weigh things out and make decisions not from what you heard or people told you about but from what you learned....only you will know if it is right!

Goodluck!

#18 donandfara

donandfara
  • Members
  • 274 posts
  • Interests::)
  • ca

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

hello chris,

i am a member of INC and my husband was a baptist,i never pushed my religion on me,we never talked or debate about religion.When he first came in the Philippines,he asked me to bring him to my church and observed our church services and he liked it coz he felt so solemn and calm inside the church...the second time he visited me he decided to join our church...My church is not a cult and there's nothing to be scared of...and its so unfair why some people here accused our church of being a cult...one of he reason why we are not allowed to married to a person with a different belief is to avoid complications between religion of both sides..and also to build a stronger relationship within the family...We NEVER PUSH people to our religion.

#19 donandfara

donandfara
  • Members
  • 274 posts
  • ca

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE(Ella @ Apr 27 2008, 10:43 PM)  
Yes Tes, it is true.. my elder sis' Ex-boyfriend is I.N.C. so they sent her some books about their religion and books about Felix Manalo. When father knew about it, He sent them back the NOVENA BOOKLET and some other Catholic stuffs laugh.gif

What are these "Catholic stuffs"? did you really read your novena booklet? and understand it word for word and put in into practice?why do catholics kneel before an image and worship them rather kneeling before God?is it okay to say prayers over and over again like the hail mary and our father and rosary?rather saying prayers coming thru our hearts?Why do catholics need to tell their sins to the priest since priest is another person and he also commits sins?

#20 donandfara

donandfara
  • Members
  • 274 posts
  • ca

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

[quote name='Mrs_Tee' date='Apr 27 2008, 08:56 PM' post='143494']
Hi chris08:

WE ARE NOT FANATICS NOR CULT MRS TEE, MOST MEMBERS OF THE INCE USED TO BE CATHOLICS AND WAS JUST ENLIGHTEN AND LEARNED HOW TO EMBRACE THEIR NEW FOUND RELIGION...WHAT DO U MEAN "YOU DONT WANT TO SCARE?"THERE IS NOTHING TO BE SCARED OF SEARCHING FOR RELIGION THAT SUITS YOUR BELIEF AND ITS NOT RIGHT TO JUDGE A PERSON ACCORDING TO HIS/HER BELIEF....AS LONG AS THGE PERSON IS DOING GOOD DEEDS AND DOIN THE RIGHT THING...AND DONT JUDGE A PERSON BY HIS RACE,COLOR,ABILITY AND RELIGION THATS THE IMPORTANT THING IN LIFE..I RESPECT BROAD MINDED PEOPLE...DONT BE TOO JUDGEMENTAL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users