8 replies to this topic

#1 LuzJohn

LuzJohn
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ne

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:23 AM

Need to exchange peso's for US Dollars in Manila or Hong Kong ...

My fiance will be traveling to Chicago, with a stopover in Hong Kong airport.

I want her to have an emergency fund and spending cash in US Dollars, because I do not think they will take pesos at the Hong Kong Chep Lok Airport.

She will need to have food and drink, and the emergency fund is in case her flight is delayed or canceled for any unknown reason.

What is the best and cheapest way to exchange currency in the phillipines or in Hong Kong airport?

I know they have moneychangers, but I think they charge a huge fee.

I can only send cash to her via a Wells Fargo ATM remittance account.

Are there any ATM's in manila that dispense US Dollars?

Can Western Union dispense US Dollars in the philippines? I hate WU because they are sooo expensive, but maybe in this case it would be worthwhile ... anybody know if they can?

Anyone who has dealt with these issues, your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

#2 soniamull

soniamull
  • 1,790 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE(LuzJohn @ Mar 20 2008, 09:23 PM) View Post
I want her to have an emergency fund and spending cash in US Dollars, because I do not think they will take pesos at the Hong Kong Chep Lok Airport.
She will need to have food and drink, and the emergency fund is in case her flight is delayed or canceled for any unknown reason.
What is the best and cheapest way to exchange currency in the phillipines or in Hong Kong airport?
Answer: Philippine Airport
I know they have moneychangers, but I think they charge a huge fee.
Answer: None
Can Western Union dispense US Dollars in the philippines? I hate WU because they are sooo expensive, but maybe in this case it would be worthwhile ... anybody know if they can?
I don't think so
Thanks,
John

John,
Don't leave the Philippines without having your Phil.Pesos changed. They are sure devalued outside the country. Believe me. I regret, I brought "Pesoses" outside Manila.

Edited by soniamull, 21 March 2008 - 02:27 AM.

AlvinMe6a.jpg Sonia6.jpg

Please support JIREH LIM, our very own Pinoy Talent, the Prince of Acoustic Love Songs!
https://www.youtube....jireh214/videos

#3 les1234

les1234
  • Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:36 AM

Never been to Hong Kong, but I did stop at Taipei, and I don't think they were too interested in buying peso's there. Better to exchange all the peso's she won't need for terminal fee, and whatever else Phils may dream up to get the last peso out of her.

Don't know about western union, but Xoom does offer the option of giving her dollars instead of pesos.....for an extra fee......I have no idea how much that fee might be, though.

#4 honey_angel

honey_angel
  • Members
  • 418 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE(LuzJohn @ Mar 20 2008, 09:23 PM) View Post

What is the best and cheapest way to exchange currency in the phillipines or in Hong Kong airport? as sonia said Philippines

I know they have moneychangers, but I think they charge a huge fee. most money changers don't let people buy dollars, only czarina

Are there any ATM's in manila that dispense US Dollars? None for ATMs, sorry. unless she has a dollar account, it can be over the counter withdrawal biggrin.gif but in other places they will let her buy dollars upon presenting her travel documents, i.e. ticket, passport. try czarina money changer also, she can buy HK dollars there. other money changers don't. but I tried buying dollars at czarina already. they have branches in makati, quezon city

Can Western Union dispense US Dollars in the philippines? I hate WU because they are sooo expensive, but maybe in this case it would be worthwhile ... anybody know if they can? YES, you just have to indicate that blessy should get it in dollars. and when blessy go to WU agent, she should ask first if they have dollar pay-out. for a $400 amount the fee is $12, so i guess its worthwhile. that's what my hubby did before. don't let it be in pesos coz the exchange rate is so low, less than a peso.

Thanks,
John

hope this info helped you. congratulations to both of you... the long wait is over.

God bless....

#5 zan

zan
  • Members
  • 1,555 posts
  • te

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:06 AM

PHILIPPINES

NONE, UNLESS SHE HAVE $$$ ACCOUNT AND SHE CAN WITHDRAW OVER THE COUNTER

YES, THEY WILL IF U WILL SEND $100 AND ABOVE, IF IT'S BELOW $100 THEY WILL GIVE HER PESO. AND MAKE SURE ALSO WHEN U SEND MONEY THRU WU THAT SHE WILL RECEIVE IT IN DOLLAR. JUST TELL THE PERSON THAT WILL HELP U IN WU OFFICE. IF U WILL SEND ONLINE THERE IS AN OPTION THERE IF U WANT THE RECEIVER WILL RECEIVE IN DOLLAR OR PESO.

Zan

#6 Donna

Donna
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:travelling,sports like boxing,skiing,football,volleyball and i love cooking aswell
  • ca
  • Local Office:chicago

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:34 AM

I have been to Hongkong quiet a few times and have had exchanged peso to dollar so your fiancee should be alright.
"Life's a game, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but no matter what your cards in life, whether club, spade, or diamond, always remember - never play without a heart!"

#7 LuzJohn

LuzJohn
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • ne

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

I was not aware that the airport in Manila would exchange for no fee. Maybe this is the best way to go?

Is this a reliable method, that we can plan on, or do they have limits on the amounts etc?

It sure sounds better than searching around Manila for moneychangers.

Donna, was there a large fee in Hong Kong to exchange pesos for dollars? Was this inside the airport or did you travel to the city?

Thanks for the replies everyone rolleyes.gif

#8 dataclese

dataclese
  • Members
  • 954 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Movies, Crafts (some), Music, Computer Science, etc
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Not Sure

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

Expect the airport exchange rate to be 2-3% less buying dollars than you would get outside the airport. Same thing when buying pesos...I usually change the majority of my cash somewhere else. Premium pricing, rules a world away too smile.gif.

Brent

#9 Donna

Donna
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:travelling,sports like boxing,skiing,football,volleyball and i love cooking aswell
  • ca
  • Local Office:chicago

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(LuzJohn @ Mar 22 2008, 03:11 PM) View Post
Donna, was there a large fee in Hong Kong to exchange pesos for dollars? Was this inside the airport or did you travel to the city?

Thanks for the replies everyone rolleyes.gif

Of course there was no fee,unless they change the rules now. Yes i did exchange it inside the aiport.
"Life's a game, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but no matter what your cards in life, whether club, spade, or diamond, always remember - never play without a heart!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users