Photo

Possible to keep Philippine Citizenship when attaining US citizenship?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Juan Carlos

Juan Carlos
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:42 PM

My wife heard this from someone, so I am asking those who may know.  Is it possible, when acquiring US citizenship, to keep Philippine citizen ship and not have to re apply for it?

Thank you for your help.  

K1 Visa
Married Nov 2008
AOS Feb 2009
2 yr GC Aug 2009
ROC Applied June 2011
ROC Approved July 2012

#2 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:51 AM

During the U.S. Naturalization oath, you relinquish your former citizenship..

--Ray B

My wife heard this from someone, so I am asking those who may know.  Is it possible, when acquiring US citizenship, to keep Philippine citizen ship and not have to re apply for it?

Thank you for your help.  

#3 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

Philippines does recognize the renunciation of citizenship.  However there was a law passed many years ago to benefit those who wished to be dual citizens.

Contact your Philippine Consulate to file for Retention of Philippine citizenship.  The cost is US$50, renewal of your passport and a trip to the consulate for biometrics and citizenship oathtaking.

RA9225 information posted by the Philippine Consulate in Washington, DC

If this is not the consulate for your residence, use the Consulate Finder Map for other Philippine Consulates in US.

Remember to file Report of Birth Abroad with your consulate for your children born outside Philippines.  US has this requirement also for the children of Americans born outside US.

The report of birth abroad awards the child full citizenship rights.

The adventure continues

Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#4 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

Technically the Philippine Republic Act 9225 says you retain Philippine Citizenship, but the Philippine government requires you to go through the hoops mentioned by Fritz above to document the fact, including the $50 and taking the oath.

The sailiant part of the act is:

Section 3. Retention of Philippine Citizenship - Any provision of law to the contrary notwithstanding, natural-born citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country are hereby deemed to have re-acquired Philippine citizenship upon taking the following oath of allegiance to the Republic:

"I _____________________, solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines and obey the laws and legal orders promulgated by the duly constituted authorities of the Philippines; and I hereby declare that I recognize and accept the supreme authority of the Philippines and will maintain true faith and allegiance thereto; and that I imposed this obligation upon myself voluntarily without mental reservation or purpose of evasion."

Natural born citizens of the Philippines who, after the effectivity of this Act, become citizens of a foreign country shall retain their Philippine citizenship upon taking the aforesaid oath.

http://www.comelec.g...Laws/OAV/RA9225

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#5 Juan Carlos

Juan Carlos
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:33 PM

Thank you for the responses.  Understood.

K1 Visa
Married Nov 2008
AOS Feb 2009
2 yr GC Aug 2009
ROC Applied June 2011
ROC Approved July 2012

#6 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:37 AM

Is there a time limit on reporting a child born in the US ?

#7 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

Is there a time limit on reporting a child born in the US ?

Effectively there is no time limit as long as the required records to document the birth and relationship to a parent who was a Philippine citizen at the time the child was born.

That last requirement is where failing to file for Retention of Citizenship when naturalizing as a citizen of another country makes a genuine difference in outcome.

The actual time requirement is that the Report of Birth Abroad be filed within 1 year.  After that additional paperwork must be included to document the relationship to a Filipino parent at the time of birth and explain the delay.

Report of Birth Abroad-Philippine Consulate, Los Angeles USA

Report of Birth Abroad-Philippine Consulate, New York City USA

The adventure continues

Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#8 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

In addition, generally speaking, if the report is not done by the time the child reaches 18 years of age it greatly complicates any claim to citizenship.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users