• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 outacontrol

outacontrol
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • te

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

My Filipina gf and her family speak Visayan or Bisaya.  She would like for me to learn a little and I would also like to learn what I can.  My problem is that I can't find a good method to learn Bisaya.  I have a Visayan to English translator and I can only translate a few words. It doesn't work.  There are many programs for Tagalog, but Bisaya or Cebuano is much much harder.  So, everyday she texts me a new word and its definition.  The problem is not HEARING the word.  You get my point.  Does anyone know a program that works that I can use to help me?  TIA

#2 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

One you might wish to try is

Bud Brown Online

Or check out his youtube videos learn Bisaya or learn Cebuano such as the ones I picked out quickly below

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#3 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

As a sometime student of Spanish, French, German, Tagalog and Pangasinan....I can tell you that the books are secondary.  You need to be in an intensive "Bisayan only" environment.  

Unless you're a sucker for pain....concentrate on Tagalog, at least that will be handier outsider of the PI, and even in the PI.

I remember seeing Filipino business people meeting in Makati and speaking only English...because one of the speakers was from a remote province and didn't speak Tagalog.

--Ray B

My Filipina gf and her family speak Visayan or Bisaya.  She would like for me to learn a little and I would also like to learn what I can.  My problem is that I can't find a good method to learn Bisaya.  I have a Visayan to English translator and I can only translate a few words. It doesn't work.  There are many programs for Tagalog, but Bisaya or Cebuano is much much harder.  So, everyday she texts me a new word and its definition.  The problem is not HEARING the word.  You get my point.  Does anyone know a program that works that I can use to help me?  TIA

#4 Ako Ay Pilipino

Ako Ay Pilipino
  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Location:Northern Central Region of Luzon. Formerly from Northern & Southern California
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

The "basic language" in the Philippines is Tagalog, which is pretty much understood in most regions of the Philippines, but it seems that in some cases, it's all about "when in Rome", which is just unavoidable at times depending what part of the Philippines one will be living in for the long haul! If one wants to fit in with the locals, learn what is most spoken in your area, you'll put smiles on your in-laws faces let alone your girlfriend or spouse!         

"Life is what we all make it to be!" 

"It's always a matter of money!"

"Do on to others as they would do on to you, but do it first!"

"QUE SERA SERA!"

#5 outacontrol

outacontrol
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • te

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Thanks Mr. Lee I will certainly look into that.  

I suggested Tagalog to my gf cuz she can speak it as well but she wants me to learn Bisaya.  So there ya go.  Gotta keep her happy cuz everyone does their best to speak English for me. lol

Bisaya probably won't help me in Manila but I don't like the city anyway. haha.  I doubt I can become fluent without immersion but I don't have a choice.  I will just do my best to learn some common phrases and words.  She promised me she won't laugh.  (-:

#6 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

HERE is a free site that might help you a little but pronunciation is the hardest for me, yet I have found if a person speaks Spanish then they can more easily pronounce Cebuano, so if you know any Spanish then that might help. 

As for what to learn, for me it is more about understanding what is going on around me than trying to talk to the people, so if you will be among her family then you need to understand what they feel comfortable speaking and then you can slowly branch out to learning some Tagalog/Filipino too if you wish to and that too would be good to learn since that is the national language but one thing at a time. 

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#7 saccharine

saccharine
  • 354 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:San Jose CA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

Dont focus on the bad words though...just kidding..

Here's some helpful tips when you speak the bisayan or tagalog words, when you read the words sylabble by syllable be mindful of the how the vowels sounded:

A - should be pronounce like the first letter of  Apple , not like the A  in bAsil or dAy

E - should sound like the first letter E in Elephant

I -  should be pronounce like the hard E , as in the I in Ignorant, not I in Irate or Isoprophyll

O - should be pronounce like O in Opera

U - should be pronounce like hard O  as in the U in rUde, not U in Under

so you may sample some consonants with vowels:  ba be bi bo bu , da de di do du and so on and so fort..

.and you may come across with this words that will confuse you like NG, NGA, MGA, ANG, just ask your gf to help you out with the  pronunciation  , 

my husband pronounce it so funny , couldnt help but laugh...

#8 GregOry

GregOry
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Learning more about my Filipina! ;-)
    Sports with my Filipina.
  • ve

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Mr. Lee I will certainly look into that.  

I suggested Tagalog to my gf cuz she can speak it as well but she wants me to learn Bisaya.  So there ya go.  Gotta keep her happy cuz everyone does their best to speak English for me. lol

Bisaya probably won't help me in Manila but I don't like the city anyway. haha.  I doubt I can become fluent without immersion but I don't have a choice.  I will just do my best to learn some common phrases and words.  She promised me she won't laugh.  (-:

Oh, she is GOING to laugh.  That is the great entertainment value that you will provide.  Just don't be put off and enjoy that you are a source of entertainment.  :D   I have some sound files that you may want.  I'll email them to you if you like.  They are online somewhere, but I'm not sure where right now.  I'll look later and post the link here if I find it.  HOWEVER, if you go to http://www.studyblue.com you can sign up for a free account and get access to online flashcards.  No sound that I know of there, but with a start on the audio files they may help.  AFTER you sign up for the FREE account the cards I am working on are at http://www.studyblue...flashcard/view# with 800 cards in 5 categories.  Remember to get access to MY or ANY OTHER CARDS at Study Blue you have to sign up for and VALIDATE your FREE account through your email.

Enjoy the laughter!!!  (btw-I'm in Manila for now and an amazing number of people here speak Visaya)  My girl says that speaking Tagolog makes her nose bleed.  That is why she wants you to learn Visaya.

One notable pronunciation is that siya (means "him") they say as shya (just a little off what I came up with).

Dont focus on the bad words though...just kidding..

Here's some helpful tips when you speak the bisayan or tagalog words, when you read the words sylabble by syllable be mindful of the how the vowels sounded:

A - should be pronounce like the first letter of  Apple , not like the A  in bAsil or dAy

E - should sound like the first letter E in Elephant

I -  should be pronounce like the hard E , as in the I in Ignorant, not I in Irate or Isoprophyll

O - should be pronounce like O in Opera

U - should be pronounce like hard O  as in the U in rUde, not U in Under

so you may sample some consonants with vowels:  ba be bi bo bu , da de di do du and so on and so fort..

.and you may come across with this words that will confuse you like NG, NGA, MGA, ANG, just ask your gf to help you out with the  pronunciation  , 

my husband pronounce it so funny , couldnt help but laugh...

These vowel sounds are very important.  They only have 1 sound that doesn't change... so good post here.

Edited by GregOry, 15 March 2013 - 09:11 AM.

GregOry & Taring
TIMELINE FOR K-1 VISA
19 APR 12 - Arrived in Philippines to STAY until the VISA is ready.
5 MAY 12 – MAILED PETITION FROM PHILIPPINES TO DALLAS, TEXAS
11 MAY – EMAIL NOTIFICATION “… received and routed to the Vermont Service Center for processing.”
1 NOV 12 - APPROVED - Post Decision Activity (email notification DID NOT happen - found out by checking status at USCIS site)
14 NOV - Called NVC: # assigned and sent to Manila embassy 13 Nov.

19 NOV - Physical - Sputum collection ordered & completed by 23 Nov  :-( :-(  Interview canceled!

28 NOV - Negative initial result on sputum  :-) Waiting 2 months for culture result.  NEG please

7 DEC - Positive Culture. Called to St. Lukes; appointment Tues 11 DEC :-( Ohhh well

11 DEC - Moved to Manila for TB treatment.

15 MAR 13 - The Clinic Does Not Inform the Patients Well.  Ask Questions if You have Them.

10 JUN - Finished treatment and waiting for 1 month for final culture negative. 

11 JUL 13 - Back to SLEC for re-Physical (pay fee again).  Final culture result of 10 JUL requires entry to USA within 90 days.

22 JUL - Back to SLEC for vaccinations.

29 JUL - INTERVIEW - VISA SUPPOSEDLY APPROVED

20 AUG - Still WAITING.  Status said "Administrative Processing" then "Ready" (for interview) then "Administrative Processing" then "Ready" again and the "Case Creation Date" changed to 16 August 2013 from November 2012?  "Check in two business days."

23 AUG - Updated to "Administrative Processing" again :-(

26 AUG - ISSUED - YEAH! ! ! :D

#9 GregOry

GregOry
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Learning more about my Filipina! ;-)
    Sports with my Filipina.
  • ve

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

https://www.box.com/...6bd42ce9a3a6b72
Here is the link to the sound files...

Below is information on the languages you are referring to.  Interesting to understand (some) of what we are referring to and I incorrectly referred to Visaya as a language earlier.  Bisaya or Cebuano is the languages.  Visaya is a category that has many more languages in it.

The Difference between Bisaya, Binisaya, Visayan & Cebuano
- Short but informative article about these four words often used seemingly interchangably.

Quoting from there in case you want the even SHORTer STORY that I found useful.
Cebuano
is the language of the people of Cebu. It's also known as Sugbuhanon or Sinugbuhanon. It's Bisaya. As a matter of fact, that is how Bisaya is known the world over and even in the academe which encodes it as Sebwano. However, people from Mindanao shy away from calling their language Cebuano which they consider the language of the people of Cebu. They call it Bisaya or Binisaya instead. So I often use both terms interchangeably.
Bisaya, however, should not be confused with Visaya, which is a subgroup of Philippine languages that includes Cebuano/Bisaya, Hiligaynon, Waray, Aklanon, Kinaray-a, etc.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1328460 .....

I also want to share that even though the CLAIM here, by the good doctor,
is that they are the same, there are WORDS that mean something totally
different on Mindinao than on Cebu. I learned that during a short visit
to CDO and area as my Filipina was born on Mindinao and raised BOTH
there and Cebu City.

GregOry & Taring
TIMELINE FOR K-1 VISA
19 APR 12 - Arrived in Philippines to STAY until the VISA is ready.
5 MAY 12 – MAILED PETITION FROM PHILIPPINES TO DALLAS, TEXAS
11 MAY – EMAIL NOTIFICATION “… received and routed to the Vermont Service Center for processing.”
1 NOV 12 - APPROVED - Post Decision Activity (email notification DID NOT happen - found out by checking status at USCIS site)
14 NOV - Called NVC: # assigned and sent to Manila embassy 13 Nov.

19 NOV - Physical - Sputum collection ordered & completed by 23 Nov  :-( :-(  Interview canceled!

28 NOV - Negative initial result on sputum  :-) Waiting 2 months for culture result.  NEG please

7 DEC - Positive Culture. Called to St. Lukes; appointment Tues 11 DEC :-( Ohhh well

11 DEC - Moved to Manila for TB treatment.

15 MAR 13 - The Clinic Does Not Inform the Patients Well.  Ask Questions if You have Them.

10 JUN - Finished treatment and waiting for 1 month for final culture negative. 

11 JUL 13 - Back to SLEC for re-Physical (pay fee again).  Final culture result of 10 JUL requires entry to USA within 90 days.

22 JUL - Back to SLEC for vaccinations.

29 JUL - INTERVIEW - VISA SUPPOSEDLY APPROVED

20 AUG - Still WAITING.  Status said "Administrative Processing" then "Ready" (for interview) then "Administrative Processing" then "Ready" again and the "Case Creation Date" changed to 16 August 2013 from November 2012?  "Check in two business days."

23 AUG - Updated to "Administrative Processing" again :-(

26 AUG - ISSUED - YEAH! ! ! :D

#10 outacontrol

outacontrol
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • te

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

thanks everyone.  Give me some time to evaluate the information and I will get back here to tell ya how it's going.  Be patient. lol  That's what I keep telling her.

#11 outacontrol

outacontrol
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • te

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

I also want to share that even though the CLAIM here, by the good doctor,
is that they are the same, there are WORDS that mean something totally
different on Mindinao than on Cebu. I learned that during a short visit
to CDO and area as my Filipina was born on Mindinao and raised BOTH
there and Cebu City.

My gf and her family use words all the time that I cannot find a translation for.  Even after she tells me what they mean I still can't find a translation.   Mader is a word that I recently tried to translate.  Nope,  no can do.. lol  This is gonna be hard.

Special thanx to Greg for hookin me up with some sound files.  

#12 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

My gf and her family use words all the time that I cannot find a translation for.  Even after she tells me what they mean I still can't find a translation.   Mader is a word that I recently tried to translate.  Nope,  no can do.. lol  This is gonna be hard.

You mean it doesn't mean 'more angry than usual'?

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#13 outacontrol

outacontrol
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • te

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hahahaha.  I guess I missed the obvious huh?  Here is the scenario. My gf posted a  pic of me on FB.  Her Aunt replied Donggggggg!  Then her male cousin replied "Mader"....  :-).   So, to best of my knowledge "dong" means boy.  Maybe her cous was saying hey this is a man. lol..   Well that's my take.  

Yeah I'm in it now but if this doesn't work, I will never do this again.  The Philippine woman I have met are incredible but there are soooo many odds stacked against us it will be a fricken miracle if works at all.  I'm going back in 2 months and there will be some soul searching for both of us.  Thanks everyone.

#14 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Certainly possible. Other possibilities include 'handsome' (and no it doesn't matter all that much that the cousin is male...)

The other guess I would of made was 'person married to the pader'

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#15 nite_guy

nite_guy
  • 1,096 posts
  • AZ
  • Local Office:St Paul Mn

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

I have a brother in law with the nickname Dodong believe it or not. Given to what that breaks down to in English, its a bit humorous. I find trying to learn Bisaya a bit difficult to. I'm never sure if words I learn online are the proper words for my wife's area. There just seems to be so many variations in the language depending on where its being spoken. I've kind of decided to concentrate more on Tagalog at this point. The Bisaya, I'll pick up as it comes, as I already know that better than Tagalog. I picked up the Rosetta Stone Tagalog, but never seem to take the time out to practice it. When I'm home, I just want to spend time with my wife, and not on the computer studying a language. Maybe when we've been married long enough, I'll be able to tear myself away longer, but its been a year and an half and that hasn't even begun to happen yet. We just seem to be getting closer and closer as time goes by. Even when she gives me tampo now, she doesn't want me out of the room from her. All I need to do generally to get tampo to stop now, is to leave the room and she's "Where are you going?".  :lol:

Hahahaha.  I guess I missed the obvious huh?  Here is the scenario. My gf posted a  pic of me on FB.  Her Aunt replied Donggggggg!  Then her male cousin replied "Mader"....  :-).   So, to best of my knowledge "dong" means boy.  Maybe her cous was saying hey this is a man. lol..   Well that's my take.  

Yeah I'm in it now but if this doesn't work, I will never do this again.  The Philippine woman I have met are incredible but there are soooo many odds stacked against us it will be a fricken miracle if works at all.  I'm going back in 2 months and there will be some soul searching for both of us.  Thanks everyone.

#16 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

As a sometime student of Spanish, French, German, Tagalog and Pangasinan....I can tell you that the books are secondary.  You need to be in an intensive "Bisayan only" environment.  

--Ray B

I totally agree with this base on my own experience. I speak Italian but not never have been to school,i speak Spanish coz i was exposed with the speaking-spanish-people,i speak tagalog coz the telenovela are almost in tagalog language,now i am learning Romanian language and maybe in the near future French too with people.. I recognize the need to stay with speaking Romanian and French citizens to learn more without wasting money for the studies than learning with books though it can help for some primary words if you are a tourist.

outacontro if you are a good listener..sooner you will be a good speaker of our language. At first they laugh at you not because you seem to be a fool nor you are a clown..it's because you're cute doing so and you make filipino people enjoy..they can be amazed of your effort.......

Edited by melody, 05 April 2013 - 04:34 PM.

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#17 username

username
  • 1,953 posts
  • te
  • Local Office:Had to use snail mail

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Practice - - -  Wala Para - Under de saya

They might laugh but it saves you from buying round after round while in county!  They usually buy (pass) me a shot of Tanduay!!  ;)

#18 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Under de saya

What do you mean by under de saya?

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#19 username

username
  • 1,953 posts
  • te
  • Local Office:Had to use snail mail

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Oops.....  Ander de saya

under the skirt

hen pecked

Do whatever you are asked (told) by your woman

follow the example of the wife ... Biblical would be Adam and Eve

man who feared his wife

a husband who is tied to his wife’s apron

Might even be a TV show today in RP.

#20 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Oops.....  Ander de saya

under the skirt

hen pecked

Do whatever you are asked (told) by your woman

follow the example of the wife ... Biblical would be Adam and Eve

man who feared his wife

a husband who is tied to his wife’s apron

Might even be a TV show today in RP.

good explanation man.....but i'm not sure if that under de saya or oops ....ander de saya...has something to do with those. I think there is something wrong with the words depends on where it is used...... :unsure:

HELP from you speaking bisaya peolpe. I think i need to learn more.........

Edited by melody, 07 April 2013 - 12:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users