US phone number while in the Philippines

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

I thought I would share another way for family who do not have internet at home to have a US phone number to call you with for just 10 cents a minute.

TMobile offers prepaid plans and the one I use is 1000 minute for $100 and it is good for a year, and can be renewed for as little as $10 the next year if minutes are left over because the minutes will carry over as long as renewed before the year is out. This type of plan would also be good for people in the US who do not talk that much on a cell phone but it can also be used for text in the US and even to text the Philippines but at a long distance text cost.

Now here is what we do but you could easily give a phone with a prepaid TMobile sim to a family member who does not have internet and set up times for phone calls so they can be at an open router or at a friends house that has internet and a wifi router and this will work anywhere in the world that there is an open router set to WEP security.

I have a Blackberry 8320 and in the past had a Nokia 6086 and a Samsung Katalyst that both worked well but there seems to be a number of other phones that I found online HERE that include UMA, so they should work the same way but maybe best to stick with the ones I know work.

So while I am in the Philippines and walking around the malls, I use my phone to scan for unlocked routers and have found quite a few. The only issue is that the routers must be open (no password) or using the lower grade of security called WEP or using WEP and having someone give you the access code to enter into your phone. So while we are home on my routers, or anywhere that I have been in the world and able to find an open router with WEP, my US TMobile cell phone rings and I can pick up my messages, make calls to the US as if I was in the US, and the persons caller id will show my US number and act as a local US call would.

So if you can bring such a phone with you and walk around until you find open routers and try to hook to them, or have a friend or family who has one, then a schedule could be set up when your family wishes to chat or if you wish to call back to the US while in another country. I have found the Nokia store in SM mall in Cebu had an open router last year while we were there and I used it to call a friend, so I know it works while out and about and it sits on my desk at our Cebu condo and rings just as if we were in the US.

Hope that helps someone and gives them yet another option. Oh and I am in no way connected to Tmobile, just passing alone what I have learned over the years.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#2 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,851 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

All SM Malls (at least all that we visited) have free wifi with no password, but you have to open a browser on your device and click on the 'acknowledge terms and conditions' button in order to access it. You have to do so on each visit. So I don't know if that would work with what you are talking about but I thought I would throw it out there.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#3 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

All SM Malls (at least all that we visited) have free wifi with no password, but you have to open a browser on your device and click on the 'acknowledge terms and conditions' button in order to access it. You have to do so on each visit. So I don't know if that would work with what you are talking about but I thought I would throw it out there.

No it would not work with the system I am talking about because it does not have an internet page on a standard phone besides TMobile web which requires payment for its use, but a person can possibly download Google Chrome for Blackberry or possibly another browser to use with a different phone and then acknowledge it that way, and then it would most likely work but I am not sure. I have found standard open wifi's are the easiest to use with my phone, or ones I have the password for.

BTW, the UMA will also work with any TMobile service plan. Basically it turns your router into a cell site. I have been told and researched that AT&T also has such a device but a person would then have to have their own wifi system and bring the unit with them, so if that were the case, then many other forms of communication would also be available to them and no advantage to using the UMA type except it is convenient to only need one number.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#4 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,851 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

No it would not work with the system I am talking about because it does not have an internet page on a standard phone besides TMobile web which requires payment for its use, but a person can possibly download Google Chrome for Blackberry or possibly another browser to use with a different phone and then acknowledge it that way, and then it would most likely work but I am not sure. I have found standard open wifi's are the easiest to use with my phone, or ones I have the password for.

Probably wouldn't work in that case. It appeared to set a session cookie because sometime we would have to acknowledge again if we spent too long inside a store (oddly enough, even the SM stores). The wifi was just in the mall itself, not the stores. Although if you were in a restaurant near the window you could usually use it fine.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users