21 replies to this topic

#1 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,677 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • em

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

Some friends and relatives would like something new to give as gifts during courtship,the idea of flowers,chocolates,teddy bear,necklace and perfumes seem to be out-of-date in this modern world..huh…I said, " oh buying gifts is costly and we don't earn dollars in pinas to have this convenient of change rate and have the extravagance of purchasing gifts. Flowers for women are always be appreciable I think..

The foreign influence take the lead in pinas as for clothing and buying stuffs (I think),so Wofers could you have great idea gifts during courtship? Aside from those normal gifts being mentioned,what things fit for male and female?

Edited by melody, 17 April 2011 - 11:09 AM.

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#2 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ch

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

Hmm - local courtship there in the Phils I would think home made gifts, flowers as can be obtained, special prepared foods perhaps? If it was a LD courtship then it is more or less up to the suiters discretion, for me it was supporting my wife and her kids almost immediately even during the get to know stage ( it was a battle though as she did not want to accept it readily, eventually it did make her life easier there and reduced the stress level).. I took gifts and such (as everyone does) when I went there..

#3 liahsterling

liahsterling
  • Moderators
  • 1,523 posts
  • te

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:51 AM

Nothing says I Love You better than "mahal your MTCN is 098765431.

Sorry can't help it. Lol

#4 asianstreak

asianstreak
  • Banned
  • 6,039 posts
  • Interests:too many to mentions
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:20 AM

with my son he didn't bother buying his gf any gift infact his gf bought him lots of gifts :P With my daughters they accept all kinds of gifts my Elaene she recieve stuff toys every occasions ,I guess those boys thinks she is a sweetie and deserve a stuff toy with my Michelle she accept all kinds of gifts like books,dvd movies,food ,she never say No actually she said "ITS A GIFT...so why refuse?" So in this case I wouldnt say that its out of -date.Maybe it depends on the individual.Still it is existing in modern days maybe it just depend somehow :rolleyes: esp.if you got the looks.

In my younger years I recieve gifts like flowers and chocolate and even when I was a widow I also recive gift from my admirers the most expensive gifts I recieve are jewelries .

With my husband now the gifts that he sent through FEDEX are Victoria Secret lengeries....We will both open the website and he let me choose and after a week it is already delivered in my house.How about that??

I hope this will give you more ideas melody...

#5 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

Nothing says I Love You better than "mahal your MTCN is 098765431.

Sorry can't help it. Lol

Sorry i can't help my mind.. can i call that number s,o i can recieve "i love you'? LOL

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#6 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

Hmm - local courtship there in the Phils I would think home made gifts, flowers as can be obtained, special prepared foods perhaps?

I like your idea guy of home-made gifts! In my life now i usually make gifts for hubby..it works..i think it is more appreciable than costly gift since it is being made by your own hands and skill ;) ....i didn't even think of it till you give me the idea..thanks :)

#7 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

with my son he didn't bother buying his gf any gift infact his gf bought him lots of gifts :P With my daughters they accept all kinds of gifts my Elaene she recieve stuff toys every occasions ,I guess those boys thinks she is a sweetie and deserve a stuff toy with my Michelle she accept all kinds of gifts like books,dvd movies,food ,she never say No actually she said "ITS A GIFT...so why refuse?" So in this case I wouldnt say that its out of -date.Maybe it depends on the individual.Still it is existing in modern days maybe it just depend somehow :rolleyes: esp.if you got the looks.

In my younger years I recieve gifts like flowers and chocolate and even when I was a widow I also recive gift from my admirers the most expensive gifts I recieve are jewelries .

With my husband now the gifts that he sent through FEDEX are Victoria Secret lengeries....We will both open the website and he let me choose and after a week it is already delivered in my house.How about that??

I hope this will give you more ideas melody...

Much appreciated your comment Shone..surely you give more ideas to me..thanks :)

#8 shipscook

shipscook
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Civic works, Cooking, sailing, Diving, Motorbiking
  • em

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:36 AM

Difficult, difficult.

Times have changed so much, we all became materialistic, all the influence of the industries made us believe, that it is important to "buy" and "give"

Examples:
Valentines Day -Hallmark Greeting Cards
Fiance rings - De Beers
Our Santa Claus "idea"- Coca Cola Company
Mothers Day - also used by many Companies, i forgot now who started to propagate it.

I think it is very important to go back to the old values of courtship. Writng letters which express feelings. Writing letters with vows.
Yes, Flowers are nice and appreciated as well as small gifts, but to rate one's persons feelings by the amount of "givings" or the lack of it, is very wrong in my eyes.

Or i ask, who is more in love and devoted, the person who showers with small presents or the person who writes a beautiful letter or poem to you? ( NOT A "Googled" one, an own one !)
Who loves you more, the person who keep saying "I.L.U." every 5 minutes or the one actually showing it through his deeds and behavior ( Like making plans for the distant future, even when not so romantic in appearance)

I also think it is time for all of us to try to get away a little more from consumerism and rather spend our time together, then i endless hours of work just to pay of the credit for all those useless things we "need" and buy.

Honestly, sometimes i wish i would be living 100 years ago without the feeling of being backwards because i do not have the latest techno gizmo. I am quite intelligent, but i hardly understood the time settings how to program my VCR to auto record TV shows, when DVD's came up. (i still have not bought a DVD recorder, enough is enough) Same with Cellphones...

I really believe we would have more Love and quality time, if we cut down on real necessary things to consume and why not starting it in courtship right away ? Back to LOVE, back to basic ! :)

#9 W. Thomas

W. Thomas
  • Members
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Theology. Children's issues. Computers.
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • te

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

An interesting topic, I appreciate your post.

I find the perfect gift for me is one that is hand made... It can be just a card, but if you took the time to find JUST the right things to put it together, that speaks more to my heart than tickets to football or a new drill etc...

MY THINKING is that a filipina might like something from here that was quality made. Nothing flashy, unless she is a mean person to want to rub it in someone's face. I think the filipina for me would just appreciate something well made but simple. But EVERYONE is different. The real key is to get to know the person you are gifting. THEN you will KNOW what they want! :)

Bill

#10 kalamputi

kalamputi
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:10 AM

Nothing is more expressive of how much you care for a person than a homemade gift. Anyone can buy perfume, chocolate and body lotion. In my case, I chose to give a little bit of everything. Not all of the gifts I had to buy; I had colored pencils and paper for the kids already and I had some jewelry left over from a trip to India,it was just sitting around collecting dust. So I gave it all away, it was the perfect use for it...and I didn't spend any (more) money on it. None of the gifts need to be expensive...I got body lotion and crayons at a local discount store and decent perfume at Walgreen's. I gave her uncle some heavy duty cord from my fishing boat (he's a fisherman). I found an old frisbee and slinky in the attic and gave those as gifts. Basketballs (with pump) are great gifts. And toothbrushes.

My engagement ring came from my lola. Beautiful diamond in an art deco setting,white gold, which had to be reduced two sizes. We found a guy at the mercado to do the work for 100 PHP. My fiancee is nuts about it. The total cost to me: $2.35.

I would have liked to have made more but time ran out; I was able to finish a cutting board using a piece of hardwood lying around the basement. It took me a couple of hours to shape and sand and oil. I did not get crazy with the router but still made a very pleasing board, in the shape of a recognizable fish. Long after the chocolates get eaten and the perfume gets used up my in-laws will be cutting sayute on that board.

Incidentally, the chocolates were gone before I left Cebu. Who am I kidding? The chocolates were gone within a day or two of giving them away hehehe. For those of you who have tasted Filipino chocolate, as I did recently, there's really no comparison-and this is why the American (and European) stuff doesn't last long.

What more can I say? I love to give gifts anyway so it's natural for me to spoil people. Especially the kids. For all the money we blow on stuff we don't need here in the West, what's a few dollars for pasalubong once a year?

#11 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Posted Image

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#12 W. Thomas

W. Thomas
  • Members
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Theology. Children's issues. Computers.
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • te

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Posted Image

LOVE IT!

You have a wonderful cuddly thing there... and the bear looks nice too!

I do not know you but she looks happy and that speaks well of you!

Bill

#13 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Happy wife = happy life :D

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#14 beeguy

beeguy
  • 884 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

I like your idea guy of home-made gifts! In my life now i usually make gifts for hubby..it works..i think it is more appreciable than costly gift since it is being made by your own hands and skill ;) ....i didn't even think of it till you give me the idea..thanks :)

I made Alma a "friendship" ring from a US silver Quarter from the year of my birth. It took most of a day of carefully tapping with a small hammer with the coin on edge on an anvil, but it turns the edge inside so you end up with a silver wedding band width (depending on the finger size, smaller finger wider band) with the "U.S. Quarter Dollar", the date, and "In God We Trust" on the inside after you bore out what is left. It only cost a couple of dollars at the coin store because it is best if the coin is not in shiny mint condition. The ring takes a good polish when chucked into an electric drill using the tiniest amount of metal polish and a clean cotton rag. If she wears it all the time like she does now it will wear out fast because it is soft, but I am pretty certain none of her friends have one like it!

Just my "two-bits" worth. :lol:

-Keith

https://www.facebook...95&l=7a88bc1a8f

Edited by beeguy, 22 February 2012 - 06:32 PM.

03/02/2010: First trip to the Philippines.
04/06/2010: Joined WOF
04/11/2010: Met on Cherry Blossoms.
05/06/2010: Talked her into joining WOF.
05/13/2010: Changed our statuses on Facebook to "in a relationship".
05/28/2010: Met her friend and her employer in Chicago (here on business).
08/17/2010: Booked trip to the Philippines.
09/05/2010: Arrived in Manila late at night. Met her in the waiting area. WOW!
09/08/2010: Met her parents and most of the family!
09/10/2010: Trekked to the top of Mt. Pinatubo and surprised her with a ring. She said YES!
09/19/2010: Had to return to US. :(
03/25/2011: Arrived second visit with her. Together again.
04/14/2011: Flew back to Chicago :(

K-1
07/25/2011: Starting on K-1 package. Where did I put all that stuff???
08/02/2011: K-1 Petition package mailed via Priority Mail to Texas Service Center! The clock is running...

08/09/2011: K-1 Petition package delivered to Texas Service Center.
08/13/2011: K-1 Petition NOA1 received.
01/11/2012: I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) APPROVED
01/27/2012: NVC notification letter received.
02/07/2012: She received the letter from the US Embassy
02/14/2012: She passed the physical at St. Lukes!
02/15/2012: She finished her CFO seminar
02/27/2012: Depart O'Hare for Manila
02/28/2012: Arrived very late in Manila

03/01/2012: Interview at the US Embassy - K1 VISA APPROVED!!
03/07/2012: Visa delivered!
03/08/2012: Got CFO sticker.

03/16/2012: Arrived in the USA together.

05/12/2012: Married!!!

AOS

05/18/2012: Mailed AOS package to USCIS.
08/10/2012: Received temp Emp Auth Card with Advanced Parole from USCIS.

04/04/2013: Received her Permanent Resident Card from USCIS!

Removing Conditions

03/20/2015: Mailed I-751 package to USCIS

03/23/2015: I-751 package arrived at the California Service Center

03/25/2015: I-751 check cashed by USCIS

03/27/2015: I-751 NOA received from USCIS

04/13/2015: Bought tickets to Phil for her brother's wedding in June.

IMG_0692.JPG

#15 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Neat idea.

#16 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Posted Image

Oh i missed this thread of mine having some other topics i posted here..not even noticed the last one of shipscook (wondering why he stops posting)... Thanks for refreshing this thread Sir Mark and thanks for sharing such seductive cleo's photo with that big gift from you! Seems she has the biggest stuff Posted Image in Wof more than that of mine . I feel jealous huh coz you seem to have more money to spend buying that kind of stuff to your wife than my husband :(

Mine is too small compare to that teddybear ...

What a sadness! Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by melody, 23 February 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#17 kalamputi

kalamputi
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Nothing wrong with gift-giving, handmade or otherwise. Especially in a culture that values the practice of always coming home from another place with a gift of sorts, even if it is as simple as a bibingka or two.

I agree also with Shipscook, that there is no substitute for a letter, a poem, a drawing, a sculpture, something more personal than a bought gift can ever be. And time too can be a great gift, just the simple pleasure of relaxing in one another's company, uninterrupted by the din of modern technology, which surely robs us of our ability to really appreciate the essential joys of another's company. One of the keen joys that I found on arrival was seeing how much my fiancee loved the books I gave her, for they had also been well-loved by me; I could not ask for any greater reward than that. Though they were bought second-hand, they seemed like so much treasure in her eager hands.

#18 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Nothing wrong with gift-giving, handmade or otherwise. Especially in a culture that values the practice of always coming home from another place with a gift of sorts, even if it is as simple as a bibingka or two.

I agree also with Shipscook, that there is no substitute for a letter, a poem, a drawing, a sculpture, something more personal than a bought gift can ever be. And time too can be a great gift, just the simple pleasure of relaxing in one another's company, uninterrupted by the din of modern technology, which surely robs us of our ability to really appreciate the essential joys of another's company. One of the keen joys that I found on arrival was seeing how much my fiancee loved the books I gave her, for they had also been well-loved by me; I could not ask for any greater reward than that. Though they were bought second-hand, they seemed like so much treasure in her eager hands.

As for me..i don't like to spend a lot,hehehe..so i make handmade gifts specially to hubby. I see him appreciating more my effort of doing some stuffs for him than buying gifts. I usually make some cards..drops some words like a poem. Most of the time we seem like courting each other,we are still fond of love letters as a surprise on his closet and on the table of the kitchen where i pass some of my time.

From him,i expect less...his " i love you" everyday ( he never forget that) words accompany by gentle touch,sweet kissess and embrace plus a bunch of wild flowers taken from the field when he backs home..is a simple way yet very signifance for me. He even not wait for a special occasion to buy me some teddybears.

There are people like who still appreciate small things as gifts though second at least it was sincerely and heartfully given..it is not important the price. it is nice actitud too to bring some sorts of foods or snacks as a gift.

To some of my friends..i give them books to read and teddybears to embrace at night on the bed as they appreciate more knowing how they are.

Edited by melody, 24 February 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#19 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

Nothin says I LOVE You better than .. Mahal your Mtcn number is ....

I LOVE YOU is much better to hear from the husband but it should be provided application too.. it follows asking your Mtcn number.. thought i don't get what Mtcn means...:lol: (kindly simplify it to me) just figuring it out.

Edited by melody, 24 February 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#20 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

I LOVE YOU is much better to hear from the husband but it should be provided application too.. it follows asking your Mtcn number.. thought i don't get what Mtcn means...:lol: (kindly simplify it to me) just figuring it out.

The MTCN number is what a person needs to pick-up money sent via Western Union.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users