Photo

Cost of land

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 W. Thomas

W. Thomas
  • Members
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Theology. Children's issues. Computers.
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • te

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

My wife has a plot of land in a small town outside of Dumaguete that is about an acre and they want 150p per SqM (4000).  That works out to about $15,000 per acre.  Is this good ro bad.  Flat and cleared land.

Bill

Edited by W. Thomas, 07 August 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#2 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ch

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:40 AM

Looking in here may give you some idea.. Lots of gotchas in land there - squatters, back taxes that may have not been paid for years, etc. I always canvass here as well as bank sites for repod land - problem here many times is the people still live in/on the property..

.http://realestate.sulit.com.ph/

http://www.ayosdito....e-for-sale-2080

Good luck God bless

#3 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:00 AM

My wife has a plot of land in a small town outside of Dumaguete that is about an acre and they want 150p per SqM (4000).  That works out to about $15,000 per acre.  Is this good ro bad.  Flat and cleared land.

Bill

Bill,

I've had issues of two wives owning land about which decisions had to be made.  My first wife, a Mexican national, owned a lot in her home town of Camargo, Chih., Mexico, that we thought would be used later for retirement or vacation (like so many guys think of their wives' lots in the Philippines).  Well 30 years later, 22 years after our divorce, her home town is at the epicenter of drug trafficking and Cartel activity in Northern Mexico and the lot is worth a fortune (compared to before).  She has gotten a few offers, including one sister--in-law trying to gain legal possession by claiming my ex-wife "gave" the lot to her and died (which did not happen, as I am still paying alimony).  Now, however, the ex-wife has found what she thinks is a "trusted" attorney there (oxymoron) who discovered that my name was still on the lot, and I have to be cleared from the title before she can sell the lot.  I'm not resisting her dumping the lot for $20,000 or more and will not stand in her way.  

My current wife, my Filipina sweetheart, had her interest in family properties in the Philippines bought out by her sister and the money wired to us in the U.S.  No problem with that at all, as it helped pay for a trip to Europe (for both of us).

The lesson here, if we are looking for one..., is to find a realistic solution for property abroad, and that doesn't mean letting it be a money pit  to eat up your disposable income in hopes of having a "retirement home" abroad when you are too old to enjoy it.

--Ray B

#4 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Amen to that Ray!!

Keep your eyes open in all cases as scams are everywhere as well. Its not to say it cannot be done, just be careful.

I will be scouting arounf Batangas and Cavite next year for something to start on before its too late lol..

#5 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,115 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • te
  • Local Office:Atlanta

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

Bill

The price of land continues to rise here. Subdivision lots are from 2,000-10,000 php per square meter, most rice fields are going in the 400 php range. I would think 150 php is a steal, however factor in the cost of getting power, water and sewage to the site.

#6 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

I have seen 300p a sq mtr everywhere I have looked for farm type land or just unoccupied  so it would seem that your price is good with exceptions as mentioned above power, elec, sewer (they have septic setups there?), and cell coverage - some have little to none.. Ron is there allot I think so he has real time knowledge.. My only real experience was the subd home I was buying with my ex..

#7 W. Thomas

W. Thomas
  • Members
  • 231 posts
  • te

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I was thinking Condo, but the wife really wants to live in a house.  Plus she says you can get a lot more for your money that way.  The land is close to utilities etc...  Plus I figure she will have to live in it  a lot longer than me...

What are your thoughts (Kano's) about house or condo.  Saw some interesting points in the "gimme" thread.

Bill

#8 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

I am building again on land, hoping for a hectare with existing mangos etc growing - many offers there like that.. May be an existing house we need to finish out which is ok too.. I wondered about condos, but not enough to buy and the closest to Batangas area would be manila and NOOOO way am I going there..

#9 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I was thinking Condo, but the wife really wants to live in a house.  Plus she says you can get a lot more for your money that way.  The land is close to utilities etc...  Plus I figure she will have to live in it  a lot longer than me...

What are your thoughts (Kano's) about house or condo.  Saw some interesting points in the "gimme" thread.

Bill

Bill,

If I had to make the choice for the Philippines, I would prefer a condo, for security and maintenance.

--Ray B

#10 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:35 AM

Bill

Bill there is no right answer that is for everyone. I have been reading forums about the Philippines for many years and read the many problems some guys have had with living in houses and some that I have experienced myself while living with relatives, include many things such as dogs barking, roosters crowing, neighbors burning garbage, the smell of urine and poop coming in our window, loud Karaoke, neighbors and other people walking in at all hours of the day and night, relatives and kids walking in at all hours of the day and night thinking nothing of making noise, break ins when no one is at home or while they are asleep to steal computers etc, money magically disappearing from adults purses, lizards, snakes, roaches, rats and mice etc, and the list goes on and on. Some of those would bother some of us and some may not bother some of us. My suggestion is to do what you feel comfortable with since most Filipinos will want to own a house because that is all they have ever known but is a house right for you, only you will know what is better once you have experienced both. I have always lived in a house growing up but would never live in a house in the Philippines in any area I have been and I have been to quite a few but of course not all, so someday I might sing a different tune but I doubt it. Your mileage may vary and some guys have a wonderful life living in a house in the Philippines and even among family while others are miserable but often stuck where they are and some complain continuously about condo life whereas after living both, I will take a condo every time even with some issues condo life has.

One thing I can suggest is to rent, do not buy anything until you have lived in one just like it and in the same area or in a particular condo building. My wife wanted a house too and after we got a condo she wants nothing but a condo, so your wife may never know until she has experienced condo life but to me the main things are staying safe, happy and healthy, so IMO it is not only what you live in but where it is located in relation to things that are important to YOU, and then to your wife.

edit to add. Condos most often cost more than homes because owners do not own the land they are built on and which is usually in a big city but because we do not own the land, we as foreigners can own the condos in our own names, whereas land would have to be in the new wife's name. The prior alone is an important aspect in all new marriages IMHO. Walk slow before you think about running, the Philippines is not the US so one has to adjust our thinking accordingly. 

Edited by Mr. Lee, 09 August 2013 - 07:53 AM.
to add

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#11 ccwalker

ccwalker
  • Members
  • 384 posts
  • em

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

I would bet that land is in Dauin, or maybe even Saiton at 150php per meter. It is nice down there, the roads are good between Dumaguete and there, and utilities are available... Even cable / DSL in some places. Like I said, it is nice, but quite a haul when you need groceries, medical attention, or good schools for kids. You have to weigh the cost of land versus the cost of transportation and frequency to decide if that is a god deal or not. You can get land for 800php closer to town.

I hope this helps,

Chris

#12 username

username
  • 1,953 posts
  • te
  • Local Office:Had to use snail mail

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

I would bet that land is in Dauin, or maybe even Saiton at 150php per meter. It is nice down there, the roads are good between Dumaguete and there, and utilities are available... Even cable / DSL in some places. Like I said, it is nice, but quite a haul when you need groceries, medical attention, or good schools for kids. You have to weigh the cost of land versus the cost of transportation and frequency to decide if that is a god deal or not. You can get land for 800php closer to town.

I hope this helps,

Chris

Hey Chris,

How is that family today?  How are the kids?  Been a long time since I seen a post with your name as most of these forums are dead today.

How is business?  I guess good enough to survive in the RP today.

Just so I stay on topic - we bought 2 hectares for about $2000 in Surigao del Norte area.  Beach front.

#13 W. Thomas

W. Thomas
  • Members
  • 231 posts
  • te

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

sounds good, can you find me some!?!?!  hehe

#14 AYENSGUYTOM

AYENSGUYTOM

Ayensguy

• 771 posts
  • Interests:food, wine, sports, politics, world news, family
  • ca

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

Hey Chris,

How is that family today?  How are the kids?  Been a long time since I seen a post with your name as most of these forums are dead today.

How is business?  I guess good enough to survive in the RP today.

Just so I stay on topic - we bought 2 hectares for about $2000 in Surigao del Norte area.  Beach front.

Do u get clear title with that purchase?

Do you fence it off until you are ready to build ?

good luck,

#15 username

username
  • 1,953 posts
  • te
  • Local Office:Had to use snail mail

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

Do u get clear title with that purchase?

Do you fence it off until you are ready to build ?

good luck,

The title was processed and the taxes were paid.  The sale was registered.  A good lawyer is all you need to get it done correct.  It was a sale within family to my wife and they are right there local to keep it clean and also harvest the copra, taro root and also let the carabao hide in the wet spot among the trees in the center.  No need to fence it off.  We pay the taxes every year so no problems locally.  They know who owns that tract of land.

Good family so don't need luck!

#16 AYENSGUYTOM

AYENSGUYTOM

Ayensguy

• 771 posts
  • Interests:food, wine, sports, politics, world news, family
  • ca

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

The title was processed and the taxes were paid.  The sale was registered.  A good lawyer is all you need to get it done correct.  It was a sale within family to my wife and they are right there local to keep it clean and also harvest the copra, taro root and also let the carabao hide in the wet spot among the trees in the center.  No need to fence it off.  We pay the taxes every year so no problems locally.  They know who owns that tract of land.

Good family so don't need luck!

THANKS !

and good family to you ....

#17 amice

amice
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Dutch translations,Immigration law,Social security law
  • lo
  • Local Office:Manila

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

As "alien" you can't own land, so why would you be involved?

When you can't own land why should you pay for it?

Let them earn it themselves or ask their president to pay for it, as long as they don't change their constitution laws.

Next step:

forbid "aliens" to own land in your own country before they take over al the assets of your country..

Oh its not my idea, but its how they think.

No rights can be derived to the content of this post.
http://solutiointerpress.webs.com

#18 AsiaBill

AsiaBill
  • Members
  • 109 posts
  • Location:Townhouse Hotel near Manila Airports & Casa Camilla Boracay Island
  • Interests:long walks on the beach, partying with fun people,trekking in the mountains, traveling the world, reading novels & magazines, listening and dancing to most kinds of music, watching films, comedy and a few TV programs, sleeping and working whenever I feel like, learning things I didn't know before, taking part in interesting conversation with people from 93 countries who we've welcomed since 1986, making love as much as possible, entrepreneurial projects which help pay for all of the above
  • lo

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

Although there are maybe as many as 10 times the buyers of land, houses or condos who lose or fail to prosper my wife and I have prospered beyond our wildest dreams by buying prime location land in Manila, Boracay beach front, Caticlan, Malay building on it without overpriced contractors and buying distressed properties in the same locations mentions. And it's not much different with real estate markets in the USA; I think it's something like 10% of the real estate agents and brokers make 85% of the commissions. The three rules of real estate are location location location and the primary 2 simple rules in business are "do what you know" and "buy low sell high" . None of the land investments we've made since 1979 to 2008 have been titled and if any potential buyer brings that up as an issue we excuse ourselves and say let's not waste each other's time. In the last five years since the USA/World banking crisis the Philippine economy is finally rising substantially. 

Now to answer your question, generally speaking rural land sells for local prices of P100,000 to P300,000/ hectare (2.4 acres or 10,000 sqm ) when within short distance to any city over 300,000 population or major tourist destination of provincial airport that price can go up ten times to P1M to P2M / hectare. For smaller lots like the 4000sqm land in Dumaguete check first about the paperwork and how rarely if ever an extra judicail partition of real property has been done in the land office so all the siblings and grandchildren over 18 have their inherited land in the own name ( 1 in a million ) next check how many kids in the family and how many available to sign the absolute deed of sale . Before that of course you find out which geodetic engineer / surveyor does the provincial capital court use for land disputes and hire them to survey the land. Then comes the common sense issues, access to water? electricity? telephone land line? cable TV? DSL internet access? concrete road? or if not on road the width and length of the  right of way is so important. There is cheaper land for sale on the big island in Hawaii and in rural mainland America as well than in many rural areas of the Philippines but it's the nature of women no negative intended, to "crave the nest" be it any kind of land, house, or condo as it's the nature of men to crave anything that moves like planes, cars,boats, motor cycles bicycles or even horses. 

Explore Philippines with AsiaBill Life is Short! Traveling and the people you meet and experiences you have "on the road" will enhance your life forever so GO FOR IT! Feel FREE to ask me Questions about living and traveling in Asia & the Philippines.

#19 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

Wow I have seen a few that low but mostly its about 700k -1Mil+ pesos per Hectare (Rice field suitable) in Nueva Ecija where we are looking.. Less in NPA challenged areas which I'm not in the slightest interested in.. We have family on the watch for cheaper but its nothing that will happen overnight for sure.. Batangas was another area but a bit higher .. None of these are in "major" cities as well.. Its my gut feeling that the land prices are moving up these days..

Edited by James in Austin Tx, 12 May 2014 - 04:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users