Photo

Starting Citizenship Process

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,127 posts
  • Location:Home is where the heart is and my heart is with my wife.
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ca
  • Local Office:Denver

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

Well we started that 10 years ago now, but 2017 is the year we file for citizenship. We will be starting to fill out the paperwork in the next couple weeks and hope to have citizenship by July 4?! 

Any insights from those who have already been there done that?

Thanks.

Smitty

Love is a decision... an act of will. ~Fr John Corapi.
The Will of God will never take you to a place where the Grace of God does not protect you. ~unkown
Posted Image + Posted Image = Posted Image
Timelines
Facebook Page

#2 username

username
  • 1,949 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te
  • Local Office:Had to use snail mail

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:42 PM

It's a walk in the park!  Why did you wait the extra 7 years?  For your wife or someone else?

Just fill in the blanks, attach a few supporting documents and now pay that new processing fee.  I would use the flash cards to study as fun and more game atmosphere.

Those whom I know who just submitted a couple months ago are already past biometrics.  Seems to be moving quicker now.

Good luck.  This is the easiest of them all!

#3 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,127 posts
  • ca

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. Why did we wait? Good question. Ignorance I guess. lol 

The reason now though is that her son will be 16 this year. Want to get him his citizenship so then I can more easily adopt him before he turns 18. 

EDIT: Which I should ask... since her son is still a minor, do we need to fill out a N-400 for him? OR just list him on his mother's N-400 and he becomes a citizen that way?

And as for flash cards... just a google search? Or somewhere/thing more specific?

Edited by Smitty91, 19 January 2017 - 12:14 AM.

The Will of God will never take you to a place where the Grace of God does not protect you. ~unkown
Timelines
Facebook Page

#4 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,235 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:30 AM

As long as he is under the age of 18 when mom gets citizenship, he will be a US citizen based on Mom's naturalization.

Listing all children is a requirement. See the N-400 instructions for "Part 11 Information About Your Children"

As soon as Mom has her Certificate of Naturalization, apply for US passports for both Mom and son. The US passport will serve as his proof of citizenship anytime such proof is required.

https://www.uscis.go...ources/A4en.pdf

The adventure continues
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#5 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,127 posts
  • ca

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Thanks Fritz. I'm assuming that we will only need one N-400 fee and two biometric fees for my wife and (step) son? Rather than two N-400 fees and two biometric fees?
Timelines
Facebook Page

#6 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:05 AM

Only one biometric fee. Your son will complete the standard passport application as an American citizen. His citizenship is based on being a minor at then time at least one parent naturalizes as a US citizen. The only paperwork your son needs to complete is the passport application. He will provide Mom's Naturalization Certificate as the basis for his claim to US citizenship.

How to apply for US passport (Adult)
How to apply for US passport (Minor age 16 or 17)

How to apply for passport, State Department video on YouTube (16 or older)

The adventures continue
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#7 username

username
  • 1,949 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te
  • Local Office:Had to use snail mail

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

Flash Cards    https://www.uscis.go...tion=node/41139

#8 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,127 posts
  • ca

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:54 AM

Salamat!!
Timelines
Facebook Page

#9 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,834 posts
  • lo

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

If it helps you in any way, Cleo has not yet filed for Citizenship. She said she wanted us to "get our money's worth" out of the 10-year green card. This will be the year for citizenship tho ;)

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#10 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,127 posts
  • ca

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:15 AM

OK Mark. Cleo and Shirley... this is the year!

Timelines
Facebook Page

#11 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,767 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

Mark,

Cleo's desire to get her money's worth from the I-751 fee doesn't hold much water, since the N-400 fees have gone up during her waiting period.  It is more likely that she doesn't see any particular need to Naturalize.  Nothing wrong with that, unless she is keeping minor children from the automatic citizenship eligibility or wants to spend extended periods outside the U.S.

--Ray B

If it helps you in any way, Cleo has not yet filed for Citizenship. She said she wanted us to "get our money's worth" out of the 10-year green card. This will be the year for citizenship tho ;)

#12 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,834 posts
  • lo

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

She wasn't completely serious about getting the money's worth. There has been no hurry for her to get citizenship. We are going to do it this year so we don't have to worry about green card renewal next year.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#13 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,127 posts
  • ca

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:44 AM

Well I don't think Shirley will have citizenship by July 4. We took a "pause" filling out the application. Hopefully this weekend we'll have it completed. Then just have to save up for the filing fee and two biometric fees (wife and son). 

Shirley has had some other friends file recently and they are still waiting for the interview. Apparently they think it has to do with the new administration. I don't think so but could be wrong. 

At any rate, hopefully by the end of the year we'll have it! 

Timelines
Facebook Page

#14 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,127 posts
  • ca

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:22 AM

Only one biometric fee. Your son will complete the standard passport application as an American citizen. His citizenship is based on being a minor at then time at least one parent naturalizes as a US citizen. The only paperwork your son needs to complete is the passport application. He will provide Mom's Naturalization Certificate as the basis for his claim to US citizenship.

How to apply for US passport (Adult)
How to apply for US passport (Minor age 16 or 17)

How to apply for passport, State Department video on YouTube (16 or older)

The adventures continue
Fritz

Fritz,

We are getting ready to file (finally)!  To clarify, one filing fee and one biometric fee for my wife and step son to file the N400? Or one filing fee for both of them then two biometric fees (one for each)?  My step son is still a minor. 

Salamat!

Timelines
Facebook Page

#15 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:06 AM

One filing fee and one biometric fee. Mom is filing the N-400 for her citizenship. A child who is under 18 AND a Permanent Resident WITH a US citizen parent becomes a US citizen as the minor child of a US citizen. So your stepson becomes a US citizen on the day Mom takes the Oath of Citizenship.

When Mom gets her Certificate of Naturalization, she will use that document to apply for US passports for herself and her son. She will also need son's birth certificate to document his age on the day Mom became a citizen.

In total then, (1) N-400 fee, (1) biometric fee, (2) passport application fees.

The Certificate of Citizenship (N-600) is an optional document. Son needs to keep a copy of Mom's naturalization certificate together with a copy of his birth certificate as part of his permanent records. When his first passport expires, he will put that in with the naturalization papers. These are backup documents should he ever lose his current passport that will allow him to apply for a replacement or prove his citizenship for other reasons. Mom will also keep an expired passport (once her first one expires) as part of her permanent records as a backup document proving her citizenship.
(The I-9 has US passport current or expired as one of the items that is standalone proof of right to work in US :) )

The adventure continues
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users