#1 verucasalt

verucasalt
  • Members
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Advertising and kosher hotdogs
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi Beautiful Filipinas and Handsome Foreign Gents,

A Diary is the only form of writing that encourages total freedom of expression. Because of its private nature, it has remained immune to any formal rules of content, structure or style. As a result the diary can come closest to reproducing how people really think and how consciousness evolves.

It was this untamed freedom of the diary that first intrigued me 18 years ago when i was still a political science student in Baguio City. The diary represented a refuge from the literary expectations and restrictions that had been part of my education. I felt a calling to become an environmentalist of the mind. I wanted above all to proclaim and defend a diary's wilderness beauty.

Diary writing has become an increasingly popular activity. I hope by sharing tips and of course other people sharing their own stories on how journal writing help them in their everyday life.
Attached File  alunsina.jpg   68.59KB   16 downloadsalunsinahandboundbooks@yahoo.com

You are someone that can be persuaded but not directed.  I may try to influence you to see things my way but there won't be many occasions with I'll be obstinate with you - Jim

#2 verucasalt

verucasalt
  • Members
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Advertising and kosher hotdogs
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Paul Gauguin, the painter, began his intimate journal with the phrase ' this is not a book'. He repeated the line frequently throughout the journal to remind himself that writing a diary is not like writing a book or any other form of literature. Gauguin wanted to write his diary as he painted his pictures, dabbing a few experimental colors at first, adding more as his intuition told him, following his fancy, "following the moon," discovering the pattern from what had occurred by chance.

To make full use of the diary you ,too,need to forget all the requirements or restrictions you have probably been taught about writing. Most forms of writing have traditions that have been traced by literary critics, and agreed-upon conventions that can be learned and accepted or rejected by writers.

Diary writing is free of such conventions and rules. Everything and anything goes. You cannot do it wrong. There are no mistakes. At any time you can change your point of view, your style, your book, the pen you write with, the direction you write on the pages, the language in which you write, the subjects you include, or the audience you write to. You can misspell, write ungrammatically, enter incorrect dates, exaggerate ,curse, pray, brag, poetically, eloquently, angrily, lovingly. You can paste photographs, newspaper clippings, cancelled checjs, letters, quotes ,drawings, doodles, dried flowers, business cards, or labels. You can write on lined paper or blank paper, violet paper or yellow, expensive bond or newsprint.

It's your book, yours alone. It can be neat or sloppy, big or small. Flow, spontaneity and intuitionare the key words. You don't have to plan what you are going to do. You discover what you have done once you have set it down.

You are someone that can be persuaded but not directed.  I may try to influence you to see things my way but there won't be many occasions with I'll be obstinate with you - Jim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users