• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:39 AM

Our rental house in PI has flooded 5 times now in the last 3 months. We have lost a lot of possessions and a few major appliances, and spent copious time and money to clean. It's just my partner living there at the moment, and he will be moving as soon as he can get his visa, maybe 6 months from now, so it's not worth it for us to move at this moment.
The house had never flooded previously.. it seems to be at least 15 years old. The flooding situation in this particular suburb is new due to the construction of a few supermalls nearby (clogging drainage) and a swollen river.

However.. the landlord is not helping us at all. We have asked a few times for her to reduce the rent for a few months on account of the new living conditions and the work we've done to her house. If we moved out, she could never rent it at the same price due to flooding. Every time I text her to ask her to kindly reduce the rent she doesn't answer - the typical Filipina 'avoid.' It has come to the point where she's asking for the rent and I'm saying that I would like a discount and then she doesn't answer.

Here in Canada it would be a landlord's responsibility to foot the bill for the cleanup of their own house. What would you guys do?

#2 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,853 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Move.

From what I can tell trying to enforce landlord 'responsibilities' in the Philippines is kind of like trying to stop the sun from rising in the morning.

(but make sure that the landlord knows he is moving out, if as you say she can't rent it she might be willing to bargain when she realizes that somebody that actually pays rent is about to go someplace else)

Edited by MrkGrismer, 14 July 2011 - 12:47 PM.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#3 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • em

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

Move.

From what I can tell trying to enforce landlord 'responsibilities' in the Philippines is kind of like trying to stop the sun from rising in the morning.

(but make sure that the landlord knows he is moving out, if as you say she can't rent it she might be willing to bargain when she realizes that somebody that actually pays rent is about to go someplace else)

Yes.. she won't rent it with the obvious flood line on the side of the house.. and the house next door also belonging to her (not flooded, but double the price) has been lying vacant for a few years.

However.. we are planning to put our stuff in 'storage' anyways within the next 6 months so it's not in our best interests to move to another place for a short time.. Trying to get my partner to speak frankly to her is like pulling teeth and the conversation always ends with him reminding me of her cell number Posted Image

#4 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,853 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

Yes.. she won't rent it with the obvious flood line on the side of the house.. and the house next door also belonging to her (not flooded, but double the price) has been lying vacant for a few years.

However.. we are planning to put our stuff in 'storage' anyways within the next 6 months so it's not in our best interests to move to another place for a short time.. Trying to get my partner to speak frankly to her is like pulling teeth and the conversation always ends with him reminding me of her cell number Posted Image

Well, honestly you have a few choices that I can think of:

1) Suck it up, it's only 6 months
2) Dig a ditch (or build a berm or otherwise take care of the problem yourself/himself)
3) Stop paying rent (it will take far more than 6 months to evict - but that can cause problems with leaving the country if the landlady is 'connected')
4) Apply 'pressure' (if your guy is 'connected')
5) Put all the stuff in storage and he lives with relatives for 6 months
6) Move

Edited by MrkGrismer, 14 July 2011 - 06:03 PM.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#5 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • em

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

Or 7) Give her the rent that we think is worthy of the situation and give her no choice!

Good options... thanks! Posted Image

Well, honestly you have a few choices that I can think of:

1) Suck it up, it's only 6 months
2) Dig a ditch (or build a berm or otherwise take care of the problem yourself/himself)
3) Stop paying rent (it will take far more than 6 months to evict - but that can cause problems with leaving the country if the landlady is 'connected')
4) Apply 'pressure' (if your guy is 'connected')
5) Put all the stuff in storage and he lives with relatives for 6 months
6) Move

#6 sterlingsilver

sterlingsilver
  • Members
  • 1,406 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • te

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:56 AM

SeeSea,

Please don't take this the wrong way. I am simply trying to help you get a grip on your situation so you can come to terms with it.

1st off you are not in the USA, Canada, or The West.

2nd off you basically have no lessee rights. Unfortunately with or without written laws or rules you still have little recourse in the RP. You should know this. Your rights and compensation are limited to what the owner of the house is willing to provide you.

3rd...If you take Griz' advice and withhold rent, move your things out first. You know how it works there. The minute you are past due, the owner can take your belongings, lock you out, or whatever else he/she wants to do. You can take them to court but good luck there. Chances are you won't make it past the brgy captian.

Are you the Phil or the AM side of this relationship? This is basic knowledge for most Filipinos.
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. Karl Marx

#7 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ch

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:28 AM

Never a boring moment in the phils, no sir..

;) ;) ;)

SeeSea,

Please don't take this the wrong way. I am simply trying to help you get a grip on your situation so you can come to terms with it.

1st off you are not in the USA, Canada, or The West.

2nd off you basically have no lessee rights. Unfortunately with or without written laws or rules you still have little recourse in the RP. You should know this. Your rights and compensation are limited to what the owner of the house is willing to provide you.

3rd...If you take Griz' advice and withhold rent, move your things out first. You know how it works there. The minute you are past due, the owner can take your belongings, lock you out, or whatever else he/she wants to do. You can take them to court but good luck there. Chances are you won't make it past the brgy captian.

Are you the Phil or the AM side of this relationship? This is basic knowledge for most Filipinos.

#8 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • em

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:39 AM

We put the pressure on.. basically I refused to pay until we came to an understanding. She eventually conceded to lower the rent by 500p a month and I said make it 1,000 and you've got a deal - and I will pay you right away. She agreed Posted Image

#9 teeman

teeman
  • Members
  • 387 posts
  • Interests:Music, Flying
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

Same thing happened with us. Anne was flooded at least 3 times. One of them she lost everything in a typhoon. The landlady made Anne pay for the cleanup. I protested her to do so but she had no choice. After she payed for cleanup the landlady raised her rent. In fact raised her rent each time she was flooded out. Best thing to do is to move out and dont look back. The second place was better but the landlady raised her rent when she found out she brought a computer. What ever they can do to make a peso. Wont end until she leaves to be with you. That the way it is there.
Distance cannot separate our hearts.

Met on Filipinaheart.com - Oct. 29, 2004
First Visit - Oct. 15, 2005
Second Visit - January 20, 2006

My Filipina Queen: http://www.flickr.co...s/29084073@N07/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users