How to quote a post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

First when replying to a post it is important to make sure the top line with the persons forum name and post number and all other information is included, and also the last quote box is intact.
Below in red is what I am describing.

[quote name='forum members name' timestamp='1323884952' post='283513'] This is the header of the quote and must be complete as shown with [ at the beginning and ] at the end and everything else in between.

[/quote ] and this is the last quote box but I have added a space after the word quote which should not be there, that is so it does not make a quote box for the purposes of this example. The quote box must be intact with [/ and the last ] or the quote will not show as a quote.

Next if a person wishes to quote a part of what was written by another member, then I have found it best to copy and paste the whole post and then delete all parts they do not wish to be there while making sure the header and the last quote box is intact as shown in my examples, but of course without the space I put in added.

Or a quote can be done which will not include the members name you are quoting, by using the quote icon which is the fourth to the right of the smiley emoticon which can be found above the box we type in, and then paste what you wish to quote between the two quote boxes that will be added to your post once you have clicked on that cloud looking icon.

I find it easier to put my cursor in between the two quote boxes and make a space and then paste the part I wish to quote. Example [quote ] TYPE HERE [/quote ] Again I have added spaces after the words quote to prevent a quote box from showing. Posted Image

When not sure what one of those icons is for, hover your mouse on the icon and it will show what it is for.

It is usually best to preview a post by clicking on the Preview Post icon below the post to see if it came out the way you had planned it to, before clicking on the Post New Topic icon. Hope that helps.

Edited by Mr. Lee, 17 December 2011 - 03:38 PM.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#2 Doug

Doug
  • Members
  • 54 posts
  • Visa type:IR-1

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:30 AM

So, how do I reply without quoting from the previous post? I thought there was something when I was setting everything up, but now I cannot find it.

Plus, in order to post this, I had to go through and highlight and delete everything because it would not let me reply. It said that there were not enough beginning quotes to match the ending quotes. :blink:

Doug

Out of the sandbox.

Keepers of the Light. Healers of the Night. http://www.oh-1dmat.org/

#3 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

So, how do I reply without quoting from the previous post? I thought there was something when I was setting everything up, but now I cannot find it.

Plus, in order to post this, I had to go through and highlight and delete everything because it would not let me reply. It said that there were not enough beginning quotes to match the ending quotes. :blink:

Below the Reply and below the box of a members post is an Add Reply icon, using that will produce just a box for you to type in with no other content.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#4 Doug

Doug
  • Members
  • 54 posts
  • Visa type:IR-1

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:45 PM

Aha! I see that now.

Thank you.:)

Doug

Out of the sandbox.

Keepers of the Light. Healers of the Night. http://www.oh-1dmat.org/

#5 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

Aha! I see that now.

Thank you.:)

You are welcome, happy I could be of some help.

Edited by Mr. Lee, 18 December 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#6 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

OK all, a while back I made a post about how to quote what another member posted. Above at the top is that post, so if we all try to use the quotes then it would make it much easier for members to follow a post when we all do our best to either put the quoted part in a quote box the one above the box you post in with the cloud, 4th to the right of the smiley face, or we make sure to include the whole header as above in my post in red, and then also the whole last quote box with all the parts as shown above.

I think it would make the forum much easier for new members to read and even make it better for some of us old timers to see who is writing what.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and myself or one of the others will be sure to answer.

Thanks,
Lee

#7 rainbow057

rainbow057
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • N/A
  • Local Office:N/A

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for the info.I am new here  all i can see it "how to reply from the member post" My problem is on " how to post."..Can i use my "status update" (what's on your mind? ") Can anybody  teach me how please? .. :)

#8 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the info.I am new here  all i can see it "how to reply from the member post" My problem is on " how to post."..Can i use my "status update" (what's on your mind? ") Can anybody  teach me how please? .. :)

First of all welcome to the forum.

I believe what you are asking is how to post a new topic of your own, if that is what you wish to do then go to the main index page HERE or by going to the top of the forum and clicking on Forums on the left side and then scroll down to a topic that fits what you wish to post about and click on that, then click on start new topic on the top right side, put in the title of your question where it says Topic Title and then type in the large box below with more on your subject and then when you are done click on Post New Topic.

#9 Shep

Shep
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • te

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

You could also do some reading Here in the help files. Your status (what's on your mind) is in your profile, "Profile Feed" click on it and type in the box then hit post but that is not used to post topics or replies to other posts.

Hope that helps  :)

#10 rainbow057

rainbow057
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • N/A
  • Local Office:N/A

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Thank you very much Lee and Shep for your kind response.I know this site can be a big help for me!! God bless :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users