#3 Jsam

Jsam
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:12 AM

Hi JSAM, is that your site ?
Tim

Hi Tim, to answer your question I would say no. It belongs to the Philippine Children. However, I am the president of this organization. I spent 9 months living in the Philippines and was heart broken by the hurting people I encountered while living in the Philippines. In order to help people I funded a mission to feed children during my stay. When I returned home, I started this organization in order to continue the work I started. I hope people don’t see this post as rule breaker because I am not directly asking solicitations or asking members for anything.

The website is there for three reasons: One, to help educate people about the reasons behind Philippine poverty. Two: to assist Philippine Children break free from poverty.
Three: To show the work we are doing and to expand it with the help from others who want to get involved.

It sad, most people do not realize what people in third world countries endure from the time they are born to the time they die. People often think that they can work or change to make things better for themselves. Sadly, most of the Philippine children who are born into poverty will never escape this poverty with out outside help. The odds are stacked very high against them. Some will even die, unknown to anyone, on the streets of Manila.

If some one reading this post has gotten annoyed about this post or Philippine beggars asking for help. Please try realizing the circumstances behind Philippine Poverty. These circumstances are far beyond the reach of a weak child searching for hope.
Go to the site and read about the causes of poverty in the Philippines. The site is still under construction so please bear with us until it finished. Thank you and God Bless

Sincerely,
Jeff Sammut – President
Philippine Children’s Foundation

#4 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:57 AM

OK Jeff I'll allow the link to stay but I need to warn the members by saying that I dont know you or your organization, so if they give you money, they do so at their own risk.
Good luck to you Jeff and to the kids.
TIM

PS...I'll be going back to the Philippines in a few months, is there some way that I can see in person what your doing to help the kids ? If there is then I will give you my full backing on this.

#5 Jsam

Jsam
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:43 PM

OK Jeff I'll allow the link to stay but I need to warn the members by saying that I dont know you or your organization, so if they give you money, they do so at their own risk.
Good luck to you Jeff and to the kids.
TIM
PS...I'll be going back to the Philippines in a few months, is there some way that I can see in person what your doing to help the kids ? If there is then I will give you my full backing on this.

Hi Tim, Thank you for allowing the link to post. I completely understand your concern for honesty. It really upsets me that a few crooked charities have wrecked things for the good charities. Why are we different from the others charities people ask? I can honestly say we do this work just to help Filipino children and not for our own personal gain. We do not have any paid staff and our board members volunteer their time. Our organization runs with strictlyvolunteers. The volunteers we use in the Philippines have a missionary background. They do the work just to be able to give hope and love. They sign a contract to do our work according to strict guidelines .They have to be accountable, they account for every penny with documentation showing proof that the funding is used to help children. We are as transparent as can be in order to show we are trust worthy. Our books are open to any one. We are legal (registered with the state and federal law) We hold a 501© 3 classification with the IRS which means all gifts are 100 % tax deductible.

You are welcome to visit our outreach programs when you return to the Philippines.
Send me a PM and I will give you the contact info.
You can witness what the funding is doing, and can even get involved hands on if you like. The areas we currently work in are Tagaytay, Santa Rosa, Pila, and special trips to the Mangyan tribe outreach.

We really need people to have faith in what we do and help us because the needs are great. Any one who has ever been to the Philippines has seen the needs with their own eyes.

If any one is going to the Philippines and has articles of clothing shoes, or any thing that is no longer needed and would like to donate it children please contact me. You would be amazed how many children do not have slippers or have more than one shirt in the province.
Please have compassion

Thank you and God Bless

Working together we can make a difference!
www.philippinechildrensfoundation.org

Sincerely,
Jeffrey F. Sammut
President- Philippine Children’s Foundation

#6 Joel & Analyn

Joel & Analyn
  • Banned
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Drums, computers, motorcycles, Filipinas, TRAVEL, camping
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:44 PM

With all due respect to the link posted above, I would like to add a couple that I have investigated.

Gawad Kalinga

Cebu Children's Shelter

Here is the latter listed on a website dedicated to rating various charities. Look up your favorite charity and see how they fare against other similiar charities:

Charity Navigator

I plan to visit one or more of the first one listed, GK for short, when I go back to the Philippines in September. I hope to visit a community in progress and also one completed. I will visit the second one as time allows. I hope to have a video camera with me and for sure a digital camera.

#7 Joel & Analyn

Joel & Analyn
  • Banned
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Drums, computers, motorcycles, Filipinas, TRAVEL, camping
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:14 AM

Mr. Sammut,

The website is coming along nicely. I am also interested in learning more about your organization now and especially when I get to the Philippines. I'm not sure if my time will allow it but I would like to try.

You may want to look into getting listed on Charity Navigator or something similiar. I'm not sure what is involved but it should give you some more exposure, possibly much more. Also, I personally would be more apt to give to a charity that has opened up it's "books" to be scrutinized. Just a suggestion. I am by no means an expert in the field. :) I did start to plan my own charity organization but then I identified one that was already doing exactly what I had in mind so I figured why reinvent the wheel?

I agree there is a great need to address the immediate basic requirements of the poor, especially the children, but there is also a need to follow up, take it to the next level and help these people continue to stay out of poverty and even prosper.

I was especially disheartened to learn about all the children who are kept in the same jails and even cells as murderers and even worse. That is another area with which I would like to be involved in. I see one of your pictures on the website shows this very thing.

I am very interested in exploring ways to help people help themselves in the Philippines. I am starting with my own family and using what I learn, I would like to expand that to the Barangay level, the city level and who knows how far it may go!

I am also interested in who is doing the work on your website.

Good luck to you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users