• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Terry

Terry
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

Hello everyone.

My name is Terry. I live in a small town on the north coast of California. I'm engaged to a sweet pinay from Cebu. Her name is Teresa.

My late wife and I were together for over 35 years. She died nearly two years ago. Her death was not unexpected, but the reality of her being gone was difficult to deal with. After a few months of recovering, I settled into the life of a bachelor/widower, and had planned to remain single and free for the remainder of my life. Eventually I realized being alone was not for me, and had begun to at least consider finding a companion. I found my new love by chance.

My younger brother, Dave,  had been communicating with a woman from Cebu. He was introduced to her by a mutual friend, also from Cebu, who married a fine man in our town more than 20 years ago. Dave was planning to journey to the Philippines to meet his girlfriend, and asked if I would like to travel with him. I had been to Subic Bay in 1972/73 back in my Navy days, and thought it might be a nice adventure to see the Visayas. Our friend Carmen mentioned, "By the way. I have another very close friend, a very nice single woman. Would you like to meet her when you are in Philippines?" Teresa and I began emailing and texting. We agreed to meet when I arrived with my brother. I thought I would make a nice new friend; maybe more, who knows?

It turned out to be much more! We hit it off amazingly well. The girls were excellent guides. The four of us had such a great time together. I met her wonderful family twice. When Teresa introduced her mother, I feigned disbelief, saying, "I must've misunderstood. Surely this is your sister!" Everyone knew it was BS on my part, but Mama loved it! I learned many years ago It never hurts to endear yourself to your sweetheart's mother, ha!

Teresa felt "right" to be with. I felt love again! My concern was our age difference. I was 64, Teresa 53. Just a couple of kids, haha! We kept in touch by texts, phone calls, letters. We realized we needed to be together, so when I made it clear I wanted us to marry, Teresa readily agreed. She also assured me the age difference is ok. We are now a year older. Truth be told, I feel much younger since meeting my sweet Pinay!

Last month, Teresa traveled up to Manila for her physical exam and interview. She passed the physical, but unfortunately our petition for fiance' visa was rejected. Of course, we are both devastated. I'll post soon in the appropriate section, asking for any insight and advice from members. We consider this a setback, not a failure.

I really enjoy reading the stories and adventures of members of this community, and plan to keep reading and contributing in the future. By the way, my brother's fiance' petition has been approved. She will be coming to the U.S. after the new year.Thanks and best regards, Terry

#2 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hello everyone.

My name is Terry. I live in a small town on the north coast of California. I'm engaged to a sweet pinay from Cebu. Her name is Teresa.

My late wife and I were together for over 35 years. She died nearly two years ago. Her death was not unexpected, but the reality of her being gone was difficult to deal with. After a few months of recovering, I settled into the life of a bachelor/widower, and had planned to remain single and free for the remainder of my life. Eventually I realized being alone was not for me, and had begun to at least consider finding a companion. I found my new love by chance.

My younger brother, Dave,  had been communicating with a woman from Cebu. He was introduced to her by a mutual friend, also from Cebu, who married a fine man in our town more than 20 years ago. Dave was planning to journey to the Philippines to meet his girlfriend, and asked if I would like to travel with him. I had been to Subic Bay in 1972/73 back in my Navy days, and thought it might be a nice adventure to see the Visayas. Our friend Carmen mentioned, "By the way. I have another very close friend, a very nice single woman. Would you like to meet her when you are in Philippines?" Teresa and I began emailing and texting. We agreed to meet when I arrived with my brother. I thought I would make a nice new friend; maybe more, who knows?

It turned out to be much more! We hit it off amazingly well. The girls were excellent guides. The four of us had such a great time together. I met her wonderful family twice. When Teresa introduced her mother, I feigned disbelief, saying, "I must've misunderstood. Surely this is your sister!" Everyone knew it was BS on my part, but Mama loved it! I learned many years ago It never hurts to endear yourself to your sweetheart's mother, ha!

Teresa felt "right" to be with. I felt love again! My concern was our age difference. I was 64, Teresa 53. Just a couple of kids, haha! We kept in touch by texts, phone calls, letters. We realized we needed to be together, so when I made it clear I wanted us to marry, Teresa readily agreed. She also assured me the age difference is ok. We are now a year older. Truth be told, I feel much younger since meeting my sweet Pinay!

Last month, Teresa traveled up to Manila for her physical exam and interview. She passed the physical, but unfortunately our petition for fiance' visa was rejected. Of course, we are both devastated. I'll post soon in the appropriate section, asking for any insight and advice from members. We consider this a setback, not a failure.

I really enjoy reading the stories and adventures of members of this community, and plan to keep reading and contributing in the future. By the way, my brother's fiance' petition has been approved. She will be coming to the U.S. after the new year.Thanks and best regards, Terry

Terry,

Why was the visa rejected?  Was it actually denied, or was she told to provide more evidence.  Very few fiancee petitions are denied at Manila, if meeting in person and sponsorship proof are present.

--Ray B

#3 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ch

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

Terry, if you read manyof the posts on the site you will see that Ray is a shining star in being able to offer stellar advice and even help do forms and such for folks, should they choose to use him. Either way he has tremendous knowledge in these matters - Good Luck, God Bless

#4 Terry

Terry
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:13 AM

Ray, thank you for the reply. Thank you also, James. Teresa said the American  interviewer told her denied. Teresa thought it was going ok until the interviewer asked the address of our mutual friend here in California. Teresa didn't remember the address off-hand. According to Teresa, at this point the interviewer snapped at her, saying, "You don't know the address of this good friend who introduced you?" It was then the interview ended with the interviewer saying, "This is denied."

The interview took place Nov 21, 2013. Should I have received notification from the embassy by now? Upon checking on-line, our Case Status reads "Post Decision Activity". I feel overwhelmed. I have no idea what to do. The woman in Cebu who has been helping Teresa told me to travel to Philippines, marry Teresa, then re-apply. Thanks again, Terry

#5 Terry

Terry
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:19 AM

Ray,

Excuse me, I forgot to add; The interviewer told Teresa there wasn't sufficient evidence of a relationship.

#6 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:53 AM

Ray,

Excuse me, I forgot to add; The interviewer told Teresa there wasn't sufficient evidence of a relationship.

Terry,

Did she receive a post-interview document stating the denial reason?  Until recently, this was standard practice.  Lately, there has been a letter from the Embassy instead, a week or so after the interview.

At any rate, "insufficient evidence of a relationship..." is a common reason used for K1 denials, but not done that often at the Manila Embassy, unless the gal did not interview well.

But the advice your gal receive from whomever helped her is one of only two options:  

1.  Submit a new K1 package; or

2.  Marry and submit a spousal visa package.

--Ray B

#7 Terry

Terry
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Ray,

Yes, she was given a document stating reason for denial as "insufficient evidence of a relationship."

I'm sure now she didn't interview well. I learned that a well-meaning friend kept her up late the night before the interview with a list she insisted Teresa had to memorize. Teresa didn't get any sleep; she was tired and extremely anxious. She is also reserved and soft spoken.

Thank you so much, Ray. I feel much relief knowing that there are two options. I now need to decide which is best for us.

Thanks again,  Terry

#8 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,069 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

Terry keep us updated on this. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

#9 Terry

Terry
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:35 AM

We've decided to marry, then submit a spousal visa package. Teresa's CENOMAR should be ready next week. Mine is being processed online. I hope to be able to travel to Cebu in Feb or March for our marriage! Thank you for the good wishes. 

#10 Terry

Terry
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

I'm leaving for Cebu Feb 11, and will stay until March 6. We both  have been issued a CENOMAR. I have updated Passport & copies, Death Certificate of my late wife. Teresa and I will visit U.S. Consulate in Cebu City the first day for "Legal Capacity", "Affidavit of No Impediment". Then comes applying for Marriage License and the waiting period.

Am excited and looking forward to seeing the family again, marriage to Teresa, and enjoying our honeymoon vacation.

Terry

#11 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

The best of luck to you both. Hope it all goes smooth. 

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#12 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

BTW my wife and I will be in Cebu City during your stay if you wish to meet up or possibly need any information about the city or whatever, just send me a pm and we would be happy to give you our contact info. 

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#13 Terry

Terry
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

Teresa and were married in Cebu Feb 25. I stayed in Philippines for a couple extra weeks, & returned home in March. Everything went smoothly; papers were in order, the civil ceremony was fine, and the wedding celebration was a blast!

Received Certificate of Marriage yesterday, and hope to send I-130 with accompanying forms & evidence  tomorrow.

Mr. Lee, thanks for your kind offer to meet up. Somehow I missed seeing your post.  Terry

#14 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

Congratulations! No worries on meeting up, just as long as you had a great time, that is all that counts. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users