Jump to content



  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Martin D

Martin D
  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • em

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

So, this question I have is not about me. It's about someone I know. I hope that I posted this in the right section.

So, I know a guy...another Canadian. He met a girl in Manila, and started a relationship with her. A couple of years ago, they had a child together. Recently, he decided to end the relationship, and pursue a new interest in Thailand. I feel very badly for this girl in Manila, because although she had wanted a child, she had also wanted a relationship with this man. She is now by herself. This guy is sending her some money for the needs of the child. But I suspect that this won't be permanent.

My question is, is there a way for a citizen of the Philippines to sue a Canadian for child support..and is it possible for such an order to be enforced, if the person lives in Canada? I tried looking up the answer myself, but I kept getting information about US citizens.

Thanks for any replies.

#2 Fritz


    Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

  • Root Admin
  • 3,247 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spokane WA USA / Argao Cebu RP
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

It looks like the answer is no or at least difficult.  Since no Canadian Province has a reciprocity agreement with Philippines she cannot get a Philippine support order enforced in Canada.
More information
The Federal Child Support Guidelines: Step-by-Step
Inventory of Government-Based Family Justice Services
If he has returned to Canada, then she may be able to contact legal services in the province he settles in for advice on how to file for child support for children residing outside Canada.  It is possible that she will need to get her child's Canadian citizenship recognized.  As long as he remains outside Canada and the countries that Canadian Provinces have reciprocity agreements with, any child support order is unenforceable through Canadian courts.

She will need advice from a legal service that deals with international child support. The experts will know a lot more than what I have been able to discover.

The Philippine contact given by the US based NCSEA is
Office of the Solicitor General at Manila
134 Amorsolo Street
Legazpi Village
Makati Metro Manila

Tel: 011-632-8186301
Fax: 011-632-8176037

Links to Canada's child support agencies are on the Child Support World Wide website.

To register the child's Canadian citizenship, Mom will file a Report of Birth Abroad at the Embassy in Manila.
She will need a copy of the father's birth certificate to show that one parent was a Canadian citizen at the time of birth.  For that she will contact the Office of Vital Statistics for the Province where the father was born.  There are procedures in place that will enable her to obtain a copy of his birth certificate without his involvement, so this should be possible.

The adventures continue

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users