Bringing Filipina here before I go to Philippines

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pablito13

Pablito13
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:37 AM

I was supposed to go to the Philippines this past September. Unfortunately Hurricane Harvey came and washed away my plans. I could not reschedule because I had to move my daughter into college and move myself to Chicago and start my new job.

I was talking to a friend who is concerned about me and my LDR which is going on 4 and one half years and we have not each other in person as of yet. Hopefully I can take two weeks vacation in May and go to the Philippines. My friend suggested I bring my Filipina friend here for a short trip before I go and she her in the Philppines.

I like the idea. Would her coming in February 2018 for a visit before I go and see her effect her immigration process if I petition her after seeing her in the Philippines?

I noticed many people on this site met in person within one year.  The only reason I did not go sooner because my daughter was in High School and living with me.  At this point I want to either push through and know if I really want to be with my Filipina friend or move on.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

If this is a good idea, then I would like the name of a Filipino travel agent in the Chicago area.

Thanks

#2 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,836 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

It is very difficult for a single Filipina to get a tourist visa to visit the U.S. The burden is on the applicant for the tourist visa to show 'compelling ties to the Philippines' that would convince the Consult that the applicant is unlikely to overstay the visa, or marry a U.S. citizen and adjust status during their visa stay. Applying for a tourist visa in order to go and meet a 'boyfriend' in person is a big strike against that.

In order to petition a Filipina as a K1 Fiance, the petitioner (the American) has to have met the beneficiary (the Filipina) in person within the 2-year period previous to submitting the I-129F petition. There are some exceptions allowed for religions that forbid the couple from meeting in person before marriage (very rare, and requires documentation); or for disability (also very rare and requires medical documentation of both an inability of the petitioner to travel AT ALL -- even to a third country where the Filipina can meet him -- AND documentation of an attempt by the Filipina to come to the U.S., generally on a tourist visa, and getting denied).

Your best bet is to continue with your plans to go there in May, unless the Filipina has extensive ties to the Philippines (such as a business, land holdings and/or children in school, etc.).

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#3 Pablito13

Pablito13
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the information. Sounded like a good idea.

How much time should I allow from the time I come back from my trip to the Philippines to the time I go back to work. People always talk about jet lag. Would like to maximize the time I spent in the Philippines because I probably can only get two weeks vacation time.

#4 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,237 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:32 AM

If being a bit tired is not a problem for you, then you can return the day before you need to go back to work.

If being a little jet lagged would be a problem at work, then sleep in and stay up really late for the last 2 or 3 days before you return to US. This will minimize the effective time zone change.
Philippine Standard Time is US Eastern Time +13 and US Pacific Time +16 (+12 & +15 in summer)

Jet lag is simply a need to adjust your sleep-wake schedule. For the first few days after you get back you will be sleepy during the day and find it difficult to go to sleep at night. Unless being tired is a safety issue. returning to work the day after you return will not be a serious problem. Don't try to return home in the local morning and go to work that afternoon ... it is a long trip and you will want a bit of rest before going to work :)

The adventures continue
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#5 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:52 AM

Time zone might be an issue, it always is for me since the Philippines is 13 hours from where we live in Florida but if you can sleep on the flight then you might be okay.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#6 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,836 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

I always like to have a full day off after any vacation (whether over seas or in the state) before going back to work. As such, I will usually either take the Monday off or come back on Saturday.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users