• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 betabry

betabry
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

I am not someone who typically participates in forums much. I tend to be a shy lurker, but I have a feeling I'm going to need new friends and advice in the coming days, as this is probably going to be the biggest undertaking of my life. So it's time I change my ways.

I imagine it is obvious that the reason I'm here is that I've fallen in love with a sweet woman from the Philippines. We met a couple months ago, and I'm planning to visit in April.

I'm looking forward to making friends and learning everything I can to to help us reach our future together.

Thanks,

Bry

#2 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:12 AM

Welcome to the forum. What part of the Philippines will you be traveling to?

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#3 betabry

betabry
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:43 AM

Thanks

I'll be going to Manila. She is moving there in a month or so to pursue her career, and will be staying with her mother so I will get an opportunity to meet her family as well. 

#4 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

Thanks

I'll be going to Manila. She is moving there in a month or so to pursue her career, and will be staying with her mother so I will get an opportunity to meet her family as well. 

It is always nice to meet the family and see how they live but understand that one reason women do that is to shelter you to prevent you from meeting other women. I would suggest spending a week or so getting to know the lady without any family influences but that is just me.

There are lots of topics on the index page of this forum, read some and feel free to ask questions in the appropriate sections and we will all try to guide you with our knowledge. Learning as much as you can before the trip over will give you a leg up and hopefully prepare you for your adventure. The Philippines is not the US, it is a very different world with many poor people, so keep a low profile, do not wear jewelry or show a lot of cash and take taxis until you learn your way around and stay out of areas you are not familiar with. Another suggestion I have is to get some of those face masks if you will be in Manila proper, the air quality is terrible in the city. 

There are many single women there, so prepare to feel like a chick magnet but at the same time want a person who wants you for you and not for your perceived wealth, as we all are very often looked upon as if we are very rich. 

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#5 betabry

betabry
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the tips, I had no idea about the air quality. I usually do my best to tone down my "americanness" and fit in as much as possible when I travel, but I've never been to a developing country before so I expect fitting in will be out of the question and I'll try to take extra precautions. I'm only going to have a week this time, so I wanted to have the chance to meet the family but we both agree that the majority of our time will be just us. I would actually prefer to get out of the city for part of the time and see the country. If you have any suggestions on places to visit on the lower end of the touristy spectrum that would be great but I imagine the trips section might be a better place for that. I am a big fan of nature and the tropics. She is from the northern end of Luzon so I don't know that she will be familiar with too many places to go and see down near Manila before I arrive.

#6 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • lo

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

Welcome to the Forum :)

#7 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,064 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:11 PM

Welcome to WOF.

#8 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

Welcome to the home of different people in WOF.

Ask and you will be granted. :D  There are many well-experienced couples here in forum that can surely help you in your life's journey together with your pinay.

Good luck!

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users