#1 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,115 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • te
  • Local Office:Atlanta

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:08 AM

For those of us that are building or contemplating building a home in the Philippines let's discuss important issues that can both help us build and keep us from being taken advantage of.

Some points of discussion (of course please feel free to add more!)

1. did you use an engineer or just lead carpenter and crew?

2. did you build western style house or native structure.

3. did you build in a subdivision or province?

4. did you buy your own supplies or allow builder to purchase?

5. how much was your lot per square meter?

6. how much did your house cost to build excluding lot (peso per square meter?)

7. did you oversee construction yourself or did you allow it to be built while you are in the states?

#2 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,115 posts
  • te

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:09 AM

For those of us that are building or contemplating building a home in the Philippines let's discuss important issues that can both help us build and keep us from being taken advantage of.

7. did you oversee construction yourself or did you allow it to be built while you are in the states?

#3 saccharine

saccharine
  • 354 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:San Jose CA

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

use an engineer for the house plan drawings and estimates, used his crew or his carpenters/laborers to built the house.

western style, I kinda design the floor plan cause i like the open floor plan style.

in the province..

my brother is the overseer of the project and he's the one who personally canvass for good prices around the area and purchases the supplies.

already own the lot.

at this moment i already spent around $20,000, not fully done, need to do second bathroom, more kitchen cabinet and island, paint the outside part of the house. (total area of the house 132 square meter)

my brother did, with weekly update on expenditures and pictures sent to me, took 6 months to be habitable.

Edited by saccharine, 24 September 2011 - 05:23 PM.

#4 AYENSGUYTOM

AYENSGUYTOM

Ayensguy

• 771 posts
  • Interests:food, wine, sports, politics, world news, family
  • ca

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

Why are u building yourself ? Is it much cheaper then buying new in subdivision ? If there R no subdivisions,
is it safe to build on ur own lot freestanding in province ?

just curious....

#5 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

1. did you use an engineer or just lead carpenter and crew? Engineer and Builder in subd

2. did you build western style house or native structure. Philippine concrete subd style

3. did you build in a subdivision or province? subd

4. did you buy your own supplies or allow builder to purchase? Builder bought

5. how much was your lot per square meter? House and lot - 2.4

7. did you oversee construction yourself or did you allow it to be built while you are in the states? Family, pictures, phone calls

Attached Files

#6 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,115 posts
  • te

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

salamat everyone...hopefully the discussion will continue with more input!

#7 saccharine

saccharine
  • 354 posts
  • ca

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

Why are u building yourself ? Is it much cheaper then buying new in subdivision ? If there R no subdivisions,
is it safe to build on ur own lot freestanding in province ?

just curious....

the lot is available so why not use it, and yes its safe, been living there for over 30 years (actually its not really a province or remote barrio lot but located in the city, but not a big city and i just choose to answer it as a province cause it actually was and got change into a city. The subdivision house and lot available in our area are not that big and i dont like their designs anyway and some house constructions are really not well made, like you will see some cracks on the wall. We decided to build the house primarily for my parents to live there, also serves as a vacation house for us, and eventually a retirement house.

#8 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,115 posts
  • te

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:20 PM

?
the lot is available so why not use it, and yes its safe, been living there for over 30 years (actually its not really a province or remote barrio lot but located in the city, but not a big city and i just choose to answer it as a province cause it actually was and got change into a city. The subdivision house and lot available in our area are not that big and i dont like their designs anyway and some house constructions are really not well made, like you will see some cracks on the wall. We decided to build the house primarily for my parents to live there, also serves as a vacation house for us, and eventually a retirement house.

i agree about the lack of quality construction in many subdivision houses ie...cracks etc. What did you do different when built your house to keep the walls from cracking etc?

#9 saccharine

saccharine
  • 354 posts
  • ca

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:15 AM

i agree about the lack of quality construction in many subdivision houses ie...cracks etc. What did you do different when built your house to keep the walls from cracking etc?

frankly I dont have any idea, as there are a lot of factors that might contribute to such, e.g not good foundation, etc. but i would like to believe that the previous works of those building crew has something to do with trusting them to do the right thing.

#10 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,115 posts
  • te

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

i am looking into solid concrete walls with metal bracing instead of the dreaded hollow blocks and corner posts supporting all the roof weight. let everyone know later after my appointment with the company rep.

#11 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

We have the block construction but also large corner concrete support risers and there are also midpoint supports as well. Seems purty sturdy so far.. Solid concrete will cost you in my view but see what they say. Watching crews hand dig and form the foundation makes you treally respect manual labor but it also exposes where things could be skimped on such as a liile less concrete here and there in the mix, etc...

#12 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,115 posts
  • te

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

We have the block construction but also large corner concrete support risers and there are also midpoint supports as well. Seems purty sturdy so far.. Solid concrete will cost you in my view but see what they say. Watching crews hand dig and form the foundation makes you treally respect manual labor but it also exposes where things could be skimped on such as a liile less concrete here and there in the mix, etc...

yeah you are right...i have spent the last 3 weeks looking at dozens and dozens of houses under different stages of completion and i have noticed that the walls are all just that free standing walls of block, not supporting the roof structure...second i have noticed that the majority of blocks are already chipping and breaking in various spots before the skim coat is applied inside and out side. i have also looked at many homes and building built this way that have stood for some years and all the skim coat is cracking thus probably leaking and causing the rebar to rust. also the amount of concrete to sand ratio in the blocks is skewed towards the sand thus increasing profit for the supplier. the same with the slab...so i can imagine the faulty construction of the footings for those corner posts. i am meeting the engineer for this company in manila on oct 10 on my way back stateside. will let you know. thanks for your input.

#13 beeguy

beeguy
  • 884 posts
  • te

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

yeah you are right...i have spent the last 3 weeks looking at dozens and dozens of houses under different stages of completion and i have noticed that the walls are all just that free standing walls of block, not supporting the roof structure...second i have noticed that the majority of blocks are already chipping and breaking in various spots before the skim coat is applied inside and out side. i have also looked at many homes and building built this way that have stood for some years and all the skim coat is cracking thus probably leaking and causing the rebar to rust. also the amount of concrete to sand ratio in the blocks is skewed towards the sand thus increasing profit for the supplier. the same with the slab...so i can imagine the faulty construction of the footings for those corner posts. i am meeting the engineer for this company in manila on oct 10 on my way back stateside. will let you know. thanks for your input.

Another point, hollow block (what we call concrete blocks) only look the same because of the molds they are made in. In the US they must meet standards for strength. There, they are made by hand all over the place and it is convenient for them that volcanic ash looks just like Portland cement. You can break off pieces with your fingers.

03/02/2010: First trip to the Philippines.
04/06/2010: Joined WOF
04/11/2010: Met on Cherry Blossoms.
05/06/2010: Talked her into joining WOF.
05/13/2010: Changed our statuses on Facebook to "in a relationship".
05/28/2010: Met her friend and her employer in Chicago (here on business).
08/17/2010: Booked trip to the Philippines.
09/05/2010: Arrived in Manila late at night. Met her in the waiting area. WOW!
09/08/2010: Met her parents and most of the family!
09/10/2010: Trekked to the top of Mt. Pinatubo and surprised her with a ring. She said YES!
09/19/2010: Had to return to US. :(
03/25/2011: Arrived second visit with her. Together again.
04/14/2011: Flew back to Chicago :(

K-1
07/25/2011: Starting on K-1 package. Where did I put all that stuff???
08/02/2011: K-1 Petition package mailed via Priority Mail to Texas Service Center! The clock is running...

08/09/2011: K-1 Petition package delivered to Texas Service Center.
08/13/2011: K-1 Petition NOA1 received.
01/11/2012: I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) APPROVED
01/27/2012: NVC notification letter received.
02/07/2012: She received the letter from the US Embassy
02/14/2012: She passed the physical at St. Lukes!
02/15/2012: She finished her CFO seminar
02/27/2012: Depart O'Hare for Manila
02/28/2012: Arrived very late in Manila

03/01/2012: Interview at the US Embassy - K1 VISA APPROVED!!
03/07/2012: Visa delivered!
03/08/2012: Got CFO sticker.

03/16/2012: Arrived in the USA together.

05/12/2012: Married!!!

AOS

05/18/2012: Mailed AOS package to USCIS.
08/10/2012: Received temp Emp Auth Card with Advanced Parole from USCIS.

04/04/2013: Received her Permanent Resident Card from USCIS!

Removing Conditions

03/20/2015: Mailed I-751 package to USCIS

03/23/2015: I-751 package arrived at the California Service Center

03/25/2015: I-751 check cashed by USCIS

03/27/2015: I-751 NOA received from USCIS

04/13/2015: Bought tickets to Phil for her brother's wedding in June.

IMG_0692.JPG

#14 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

I think it was JLG that used to have posts regarding the trials and tribulations he went thru to try to get hollow-block made to 'u.s. standards'.

Let me see...

Yep, still out there: http://www.asawainte...ation-home.html

(amazing)

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#15 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:46 AM

I wonder how he turned out?? Not heard anything from him and he was doing it right in building and being there to supervise it - lucky him.. Still, would like to know what he is up to..

I think it was JLG that used to have posts regarding the trials and tribulations he went thru to try to get hollow-block made to 'u.s. standards'.

Let me see...

Yep, still out there: http://www.asawainte...ation-home.html

(amazing)

#16 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,115 posts
  • te

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:26 AM

I wonder how he turned out?? Not heard anything from him and he was doing it right in building and being there to supervise it - lucky him.. Still, would like to know what he is up to..

yeah me too! just spent the entire morning and read the entire thread...what a strong house and good value. Hey Mark do you know his email address or website link?

#17 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,250 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:51 AM

yeah me too! just spent the entire morning and read the entire thread...what a strong house and good value. Hey Mark do you know his email address or website link?

Ron, try sending him a PM on the Asawa site. His account is still live, he may check in occasionally.

Keep on truckin'
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#18 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

If his photobucket is any indication, he is still doing quite well: http://smg.photobuck...244/Pinerental/

But it is difficult to tell the dates from that. When I search for pinerental I don't get anything more recent than 2008.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#19 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

Deleted

If his photobucket is any indication, he is still doing quite well: http://smg.photobuck...244/Pinerental/

But it is difficult to tell the dates from that. When I search for pinerental I don't get anything more recent than 2008.

Edited by James in Austin Tx, 03 October 2011 - 02:10 AM.

#20 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

Always wondered if the guys was part of the "advisors" in the pinas or is/was special forces.. He IS having a blast by the pics..

Just curious what advisors you mean? I had an interesting conversation with a white man on a plane to Davao that made a half-attempt at telling me that he was a retired high-up in the US Military with no official business in Mindanao. It was thinly veiled, I believe intentionally, in order for me to see right through his story.. I think.. Since my in-laws all know that there are US soldiers training around Mindanao and everyone has seen them.. what is really going on there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users