10 replies to this topic

#1 che234

che234
  • Moderators
  • 248 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

You can delete all the info in your profile, pics, sigs etc etc if you decide to leave.

What you cannot do yourself is delete your 'account' here. there isn't really any such thing. This is because it messes up the boards. Hundreds of threads could be messed up. Threads in which lots of other members have taken lots of time and effort to contribute to as well as you. If a member's posts are suddenly taken out of a thread, then it may not make sense any more. And multiply this by another 100 threads the leaving member wants posts deleted from.. then you have a very, very messy board with lots of threads that are no longer readable.

If you want to leave because you decide this site is no longer for you. We warmly wish you well. All you have to do is clear out your profile and just, well, don't log in again ? Simple as that.

If you ARE in some sort of predicament that means that you need your account hidden or changed in order that there is nothing to identify you onsite anymore ( for instance if you have a stalker or a jealous partner etc etc).. Clear everything out you can and contact the admin asap. He can change things so your previous 'incarnation' here is completely scrambled, yet leaves the posts intact under a random anonymous name.

Once again though, for most, if you want to leave. Please, no more endless pm's to the admins and the mods asking to 'delete' accounts. Just clear out your profile area and don't log in again !

You post voluntarily on a public forum and once you do that then it's in the public domain. While members own and are responsible for the content of a post, by posting they grant the forum (in most cases) a non-revokable license to publish/display that post. <--- current legal understanding.

Edited by sheenchen, 13 December 2011 - 01:33 PM.

#2 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,853 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

Good post... +1... /signed... like... whatever convention you want to add...

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#3 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

My thumbs-up ma'am !

So far..i don't intend to leave Wof..this is part of my hobby ... and hubby is not jealous of that :D

For rurther information just to feed this retardation of my head :lol: ,i think i could approach you ma'am Sheen.. B)

Edited by melody, 14 December 2011 - 08:58 AM.

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#4 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Good response with good explanation.

--Ray B

You can delete all the info in your profile, pics, sigs etc etc if you decide to leave.

What you cannot do yourself is delete your 'account' here. there isn't really any such thing. This is because it messes up the boards. Hundreds of threads could be messed up. Threads in which lots of other members have taken lots of time and effort to contribute to as well as you. If a member's posts are suddenly taken out of a thread, then it may not make sense any more. And multiply this by another 100 threads the leaving member wants posts deleted from.. then you have a very, very messy board with lots of threads that are no longer readable.

If you want to leave because you decide this site is no longer for you. We warmly wish you well. All you have to do is clear out your profile and just, well, don't log in again ? Simple as that.

If you ARE in some sort of predicament that means that you need your account hidden or changed in order that there is nothing to identify you onsite anymore ( for instance if you have a stalker or a jealous partner etc etc).. Clear everything out you can and contact the admin asap. He can change things so your previous 'incarnation' here is completely scrambled, yet leaves the posts intact under a random anonymous name.

Once again though, for most, if you want to leave. Please, no more endless pm's to the admins and the mods asking to 'delete' accounts. Just clear out your profile area and don't log in again !

You post voluntarily on a public forum and once you do that then it's in the public domain. While members own and are responsible for the content of a post, by posting they grant the forum (in most cases) a non-revokable license to publish/display that post. <--- current legal understanding.

#5 che234

che234
  • Moderators
  • 248 posts
  • ca

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

@ mark and Ray - thank you guys this will be very useful for those members who are not aware about profile deletion.

@ Melds - if you need help about the forum you can approach me just drop me a pm :D my pleasure to help.

Edited by sheenchen, 13 December 2011 - 03:28 PM.

#6 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • lo

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

sheenchen, thats great with what you posted!
2 thumb's up for you and 99.9 percent...

CHEERS

#7 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

Very good post, Thank you for taking the time to post this. This topic has been pinned.

Sometimes members will get into a fight with other members and the next thing you know I'll get a PM saying JUST DELETE MY ACCOUNT . As everyone already knows, I dont delete accounts for the very reasons posted by sheenchen. The funny thing is a few days later the member that wanted the account deleted is back posting just like nothing ever happened.

Great post sheenchen.

#8 che234

che234
  • Moderators
  • 248 posts
  • ca

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

@ Gemini - thank you girl :rolleyes:

@hawk - I am sure that many of us reading this have received PMs/ emails from angry members demanding on how to delete their accounts :lol: I remember to the old site i'm a member in years ago.. one member do that and it RUINED many many threads :( because it disrupted the flow of the discussion - even topic titles were turned to "." :blink: Deleting accounts causes inconsistencies (broken links, difficult to read topics). Hope that one is clear :) btw , thanks hawk for making this thread pinned. More power WOF :D

Edited by sheenchen, 13 December 2011 - 11:48 PM.

#9 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:34 AM

@ Gemini - thank you girl :rolleyes:

@hawk - I am sure that many of us reading this have received PMs/ emails from angry members demanding on how to delete their accounts :lol: I remember to the old site i'm a member in years ago.. one member do that and it RUINED many many threads :( because it disrupted the flow of the discussion - even topic titles were turned to "." :blink: Deleting accounts causes inconsistencies (broken links, difficult to read topics). Hope that one is clear :) btw , thanks hawk for making this thread pinned. More power WOF :D

I hope that not to many have gotten PM's like that ;)
What web site did that ? Was you a Mod or Admin of that site ?

#10 che234

che234
  • Moderators
  • 248 posts
  • ca

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

I hope that not to many have gotten PM's like that ;)
What web site did that ? Was you a Mod or Admin of that site ?

Nonsense pm can be irritating sometimes like profile deletion case <_<
Oh that website was a pinoy warez site it was pinoyshares[dot]com. I'm the admin/developer but the board is powered by vbulletin ..Now i work here uzzap.com as one of the global moderator hosted about million chatters around the world..Most warez site are powered by vb but i like xenforo much better though :)

Edited by sheenchen, 14 December 2011 - 10:02 AM.

#11 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

I have often read the delete my account, delete my photos etc from disgruntled members of forums. I personally do not think deleting of anything should be allowed because it might disrupt the flow of posts on a forum. People often put in photos such as I did with a birthday greeting which is a photo linked from a photo sites, so if I were to delete the photo from the site I used for that photo, then that post might then end up empty, and all posts that followed which referred to it might no longer make sense.

Whenever someone posts on a forum, it should be with the understanding that whatever is posted by them then belongs to the site. If that member realizes they made a mistake in posting something too personal, then either they should edit their post if allowed, or they should ask an admin to do so if not allowed, and they should be sure to put in the reason why they wish their post to be edited, since admins are usually not mind readers. I was always amazed at how many people would pm and say things without showing what they were referencing and then the forum mods were then supposed to figure out what they meant. If a person wishes to refer to a particular post, then they can click on the number on the top right on IPB forums and copy the url, or reference the post number and copy and past the url from the go line, usually at the top, or the mod may not know what the heck that person is referencing.

No forum can please everyone and since many people on forums come from different backgrounds and cultures, there is often misunderstandings and clashes. If more people would try to live by the Golden Rule, then IMHO the whole world, and everything within it such as forums would run much smoother.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users