#1 Bobolink05

Bobolink05
  • Members
  • 426 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ne
  • Local Office:Des Moines, IA

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

After reading is technology bad for relationships (about cellphones and how they can be bad), I started thinking of how technology was a big advantage in my LDR. If it hadn't been for email and the telephone, (hers was a cellphone), our relationship would have been a lot longer. I decided that when I was looking for a relationship, that if they did not have an email ability, they would not be on my list - my choice and I would see what developed.

As it turned out, this got our relationship off to a fast start. I didn't realize how much more she knew about emails and internet messaging, but she taught me very rapidly. Sometimes, we were exchanging three or four emails in the space of an hour - and not short ones either. She would often download my emails to a floppy disk (at the internet cafe) and take it with her to upload on her computer (not hooked up to the internet) and answer my questions and then put it back on her next visit to the internet cafe). Then we moved onto messaging and using the webcam and communication greatly improved. Of course, the telephone was also used along with these. We soon know what each others schedules were and when calling would not interrupt work.

So combined with two trips to see her, technology was a very positive influence on our relationship and continues be be in our marriage. We message and use the webcam with her family and friends and look forward to emails as well.

Granted for the K-1 we also used the postal mails (snail mail) to impress the embassy, but technology really helped our relationship and added to our enjoyment of continuing a long distant relationship.

Bobolink05
Bobolink05

Love happens, marriage is a full-time occupation

Natural beauty is always the best, in nature and in women.

#2 John C

John C
  • 1,668 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ca

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE(Bobolink05 @ Apr 30 2008, 04:39 PM) View Post
I decided that when I was looking for a relationship, that if they did not have an email ability, they would not be on my list - my choice and I would see what developed.

You were a lot more liberal than I was. If the woman didn't have chat capabilities and plenty of it I figured that there is no way to get to know each other well enough to even make a first trip. I am very impressed with the success of long distance relationships that creep along with Email and snail mail only. These people have a lot more faith, patience and intuition than I do for sure. Luckily I found my equal in all departments. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users