10 replies to this topic

#1 pauline

pauline
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • CA

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:16 AM

I haven't been here in a while, i miss this group, 😊.

Anyway, so a friend was asking me to help her complicated paperworks that needs a "Red Ribbon Seal from the Consulate here. I haven't heard such term before, so i wonder if anyone here has used or needed it?

They have an original marriage certificate and a notarized photocopy of the divorce paper but the court in the Philippines still needs it to have a red ribbon seal or stamp. Lol. The document is needed to file for an annulment over in the Phillipines.

Any input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Pau

#2 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:22 AM

A friend had to do it in Florida, sent an original first to the state of Florida to be authenticated by them which was required, then sent it overnight with return overnight paid envelope to the Philippine Embassy for the ribbon. It seems that documents from other countries are not accepted in the Philippines unless authenticated and ribbon. Probably best to call the embassy that services their area to see what they require to be sure... 

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#3 pauline

pauline
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • CA

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:30 AM

I see, thank you. Yes i emailed the Consulate in SF yesterday and still no reply today. I will wait for few more days and will email them again. Even if the marriage certificate is original it still needs to be aunthenticated? Geez, i guess its gonna be a long process.

#4 pauline

pauline
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • CA

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:41 AM

So she didn't have to be present at the consulate for the document to be stamped for a ribbon?

Pau

#5 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,754 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:18 AM

The "red-ribbon" is part of the document authentication done by Philippine consulates for service areas where the requested document was issued (birth, marriage, divorce, etc.).  It is also referred to by some as "Malacanang Authentication," probably because there used to be a DFA office at the Malacnang palace area where the "red-ribbon" authentication was done in Manila.

I did a divorce document authentication through the Los Angeles Phil consulate last week entirely by mail.  Original "public" documents don't have to be locally notarized, in the manner Lee described, but personal documents do have to be locally notarized, such as Power of Attorney, etc.

I previously had both "public documents" and personal documents "red-ribboned" at the San Francisco Consulate, both in person and later by mail...not a big deal.

You do not have to be there, unless notarization is required and you can't find a local notary who will also provide either State commissioning agency proof of notary authority or county proof of notary registration (common in California).

--Ray B

-Ray B

So she didn't have to be present at the consulate for the document to be stamped for a ribbon?

Pau

#6 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:00 AM

Okay Ray, my friend was using the dc embassy and they required it to be notarized locally and then sent to Florida state for authentication I guess of the notary :unsure:  and then sent to the embassy for the ribbon, maybe it is different in LA :unsure:

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#7 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,754 posts
  • ca

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:02 AM

Lee,

I think you misunderstood the content of my message.  "Personal documents" can be notarized outside of the Consulate, with proof of notary authority.  "Public" documents cannot have the private party's signature notarized.

Your example was of a document that your friend had notarized, but do you know what sort of document it was?

--Ray B

#8 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:08 AM

Lee,

I think you misunderstood the content of my message.  "Personal documents" can be notarized outside of the Consulate, with proof of notary authority.  "Public" documents cannot have the private party's signature notarized.

Your example was of a document that your friend had notarized, but do you know what sort of document it was?

--Ray B

It was his divorce documents, then they required an attached form to be notarized and then sent to the state of Florida, anyway you know best and my info is only second hand from my neighbor who showed me copies of all he had to do, that was why I suggested they contact their embassy directly to see what they would require. . 

#9 pauline

pauline
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • CA

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:58 AM

Sir Bacon, i will email you, thank you. They asked me to find a lawyer and i think you are perfect. Will pm you tomorrow. Thank you

#10 pauline

pauline
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • CA

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:06 AM

Is it okay tho to have the document "red-ribboned" even if it wasn't my document? They are both in Ph and asked me to do it for them. Thank you

#11 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,754 posts
  • ca

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:58 AM

I sent a divorce document, from Nevada, to the Los Angeles Phil Consulate, and asked the Consulate to "authenticate" it, with "Red Ribbon."  They used the authority of the government official's name on the divorce document as "authority," attached an authentication document with red ribbons, and mailed it back to me.  Charge was $25.  Regardless of what your friend was told, what I did with the Los Angeles Phil Consulate would have worked in Florida.

Sometimes we get answers based on how we ask the questions.  If your friend had asked the Consulate with jurisdiction over Florida (not "Honorary Consul," but DC Phil Consulate) how he should "notarize" a document for authentication, they might have told him to do what you described.  

The DC Consulate has two sets of instructions:  Private documents:  first notarized locally; and Civil documents, can be authenticated by sending directly to the Consulate.

--Ray B

It was his divorce documents, then they required an attached form to be notarized and then sent to the state of Florida, anyway you know best and my info is only second hand from my neighbor who showed me copies of all he had to do, that was why I suggested they contact their embassy directly to see what they would require. . 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users