7 replies to this topic

#1 jimmaine

jimmaine
  • Members
  • 133 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hi guys, I would like to ask if it is really necessary to do the report of birth of my son in the philippine consulate?
I will also do the report of marriage, can I send it together with my son's report of birth in the same envelope or do I need to separate?

Thanks so much!

#2 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,767 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

It is a good idea to do a "Report of Birth" for the child, as it may open doors for him in the future to claim rights of a Filipino citizen. For children born of mixed nationality parents, I've seen this establishment of nationality to be useful, or of absolutely no benefit, depending on the child. I know such children, now young adults, who have gone back to the Philippine to go to school or to conduct business, and having Philippines citizenship has been a benefit to them. I haven't done a Report of Birth for my boy, now 18 years old, and don't see to be of any particular need or advantage to him.

It's really not much bother, and it's for a possible benefit to your child, not you.

--Ray B

Hi guys, I would like to ask if it is really necessary to do the report of birth of my son in the philippine consulate?
I will also do the report of marriage, can I send it together with my son's report of birth in the same envelope or do I need to separate?

Thanks so much!

#3 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

Having more than one citizenship can never hurt and might give them a leg up down the road in life or business, so I would say best to report it.

I would guess they both can be done at once and do not see why not, but I usually call the local Philippine embassy whenever we have done things in the past, such as to what we needed to send to have my wife's passport changed to her married name.

People nowadays are lucky, back when we did it if I remember correctly I had to also supply a copy of our US tax return and my wife used to have to file a Philippine tax return yearly and give them a copy of our US tax return each time, boy I am glad that is no longer necessary for many years now.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#4 jimmaine

jimmaine
  • Members
  • 133 posts
  • te

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

Thanks a lot Sir Ray and Mr. Lee!
I will do the report of birth then it's up to him to decide when he grows up whether to study/stay/ buy/invest in the Philippines.
God bless us all!

#5 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,834 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Thanks a lot Sir Ray and Mr. Lee!
I will do the report of birth then it's up to him to decide when he grows up whether to study/stay/ buy/invest in the Philippines.
God bless us all!

Exactly. Also get him both passports once that is done (both U.S. and Philippines). You never know when it will be useful, and better to have and not need than to need and not have.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#6 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,767 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

To add to Mark's rcommendation ("get him both passports..."), you simply don't know how useful his proof of Philippines citizenship will be later on. I know several Fil-Am families whose children, born here, later went to the Philippines, from teenage years through adulthood, for a variety of unexpected reasons:

1. Child gets into trouble during teenage years and parents send him to Philippines to be away from bad influences for a couple of years;
2. Parents send child to school in Philippines to take advantage of cheaper school costs or to get nursing basics (that's another issue, and wouldn't be my recommendation). But to spend a year or two or more in school in the Philippines is a great way for the child to become acquainted with his parents' country and culture;
3. Child later decides to buy a condo or get involved in business activities in the Philippines.

--Ray B

Exactly. Also get him both passports once that is done (both U.S. and Philippines). You never know when it will be useful, and better to have and not need than to need and not have.

#7 jimmaine

jimmaine
  • Members
  • 133 posts
  • te

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

Thanks a lot sir Ray and sir Mark for the enlightenment!
God bless us all!

#8 philmae83

philmae83
  • 455 posts
  • ca

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

thanks for this post...we are planning to report the birth of our son this month too.. :)
Timeline
April 2004 - chatted on webdate
Feb 24, 2008 - first visit (met CDO airport)
Mar 2, 2008 - go back to KY, USA
Sept 26, 2008 - 2nd visit (met CDO airport)
Oct 6, 2008 - go back to KY, USA
May 3, 2009 - 3rd visit (met NAIA airport)
May 16, 2009 - our wedding day
May 21, 2009 - go back to KY,USA
May 25, 2009 - pay to local civil registrar for advance endorsement of our Marriage Certificate
May 27, 2009 - NSO received letter of endorsement of our Marriage Certificate
<b>June 29, 2009 - Husband sent I-130 packet</b>
June 30, 2009 - got authenticated Marriage Certificate
<b>July 7, 2009 - check cashed
July 9, 2009 - received NOA1 (yehey!)
</b>
July 15, 2009 - attended CFO seminar @ Cebu City
July 23, 2009 - renew my passport and changed status
August 18, 2009 - got my new passport

September 9, 2009 - got notice of approval from USCIS (NOA2)
September 14, 2009 - NOA2 hardcopy received
September 18, 2009 - case number assigned
October 2, 2009 - paid AOS and email ds3032
October 5, 2009 - mail ds3032 hardcopy thru husband
October 6, 2009 - mail AOS packet
October 15, 2009 - ds3032 accepted
October 16, 2009 - IV bill ready to be paid
October 17, 2009 - husband pay IV bill
October 21, 2009 - IV bill shows PAID
October 22, 2009 - husband mailed ds230 packet to NVC
October 21-22, 2009 - passed ADVANCE medical exam at st luke
October 26, 2009 - received checklist response per AVR
October 27, 2009 - checklist email received from nvc
November 4, 2009 - case complete!
November 13, 2009 - interview date assigned
<b>December 10, 2009 at 6:30AM - ORIGINAL INTERVIEW DATE
DECEMBER 1, 2009 - RE SCHEDULED INTERVIEW - white slip for passport and medical results
December 14, 2009 - visa in hand
December 21, 2009 - flight to US</b>

Oct 27 - Nov 17, 2010 - vacation in Philippines

REMOVAL OF CONDITION FOR CR1
September 14, 2011 - sent application for I-175 Removal of Condition
September 29, 2011 - received letter for a 1 year extension of GC
October 6, 2011 - received Biometrics scheduled (Oct. 28, 2011)

THANK YOU GOD AND MAMA MARY FOR THE GUIDANCE

LIFE IS A SERIES OF SURPRISES AND WOULD NOT BE WORTH TAKING OR KEEPING IF IT WERE NOT SO<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users