7 replies to this topic

#1 noah lott

noah lott
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ch

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hello. My wife came here on a fiance visa about two years ago. Since then, we've gotten married (in the US) and she has obtained her conditional green card. We are currently in the process of removing the conditions I-175.

We're traveling to the Philippines for the last half of April. Her Philippine passport (I don't remember if it's green or brown) will expire in 2014 but it has her maiden name.

As long as we bring our Marriage Certificate and other ID, will she have a problem getting into or leaving the Philippines? Or the US?

I believe to get a new passport takes up to 6 weeks so we don't have time for that. Can she get one while we're in the Philippines?

Thanks in advance for any replies. Oh, we live in Central Florida if that makes any difference.

#2 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,834 posts
  • lo

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

If it doesn't expire until 2014 there is no worries. As far as not having it amended yet just make sure that her ticket is booked in the same name that is in the passport. There is no law in either the U.S. nor the Philippines that says a woman has to change her name when she gets married.

Do, however keep a copy of the marriage certificate with her Green Card in case that becomes an issue (it shouldn't).

I wouldn't both worrying about getting the passport changed or amended while in the Philippines, it is much easier to do so once you return to the U.S. (mostly due to transportation issues).

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#3 noah lott

noah lott
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  • ch

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hello and thanks. Her ticket is in the same name as her green card and driver's license, which is her married name. Her passport is in her maiden name. So are we okay?

Also, we never knew anything about a report of marriage. What's that?

You think it's easier to vacation in Washington DC sometime before 2014 and just get it renewed there than to do it in Cebu this trip?

Thanks again and I really appreciate the quick reply.

#4 noah lott

noah lott
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  • ch

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Sorry for another thing but to be clear, everything is in her married name except her Philippine passport.

#5 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,834 posts
  • lo

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Typically the airlines have trouble if the name on the ticket does not match the name on the passport. Call the airline and check with it.

Yes, I think it is generally easier to get stuff handled in the U.S. than the Philippines, even when dealing with Philippine government issues. It will probably 'cost' you multiple days out of your Philippine vacation to try to get it handled there.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#6 noah lott

noah lott
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  • ch

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Okay, thanks. We'll check with the airlines.

I wonder how TSA would deal with it if the ticket had her maiden name but not the name on her green card. Ugh.

#7 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,834 posts
  • lo

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Okay, thanks. We'll check with the airlines.

I wonder how TSA would deal with it if the ticket had her maiden name but not the name on her green card. Ugh.

We just got back from a trip to the Philippines, the only time she will show her green card is at U.S. customs on the return, and at that time she won't be showing her ticket.

#8 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,235 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

At check in when they ask for picture ID give them the state ID that has the same name as appears on the ticket. When you get to Philippines and they look at the ticket & passport at immigration, the marriage certificate will document the difference.

When returning, same thing, present the state ID when they ask for picture ID. Pay P200 at the PTA booth for the Travel Tax Exemption and you will be on your way back to US. On arrival, immigration will want her green card and state ID. If they do ask for her passport in addition, then the marriage certificate will again document the difference.

Don't stress, you can be sure there are a few others doing the same thing on almost every flight :)

The reason for advising that the ticket and the passport match is simply that the passport is a picture ID everyone will have on an international trip.

The adventure continues
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users