Google Voice $0.11/min to PI

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JamboME

JamboME
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:41 AM

No one else has tried this yet? Google Voice is currently still in "Beta", but you can get an invite pretty easy
https://www.google.com/voice

You get a free phone "number" from Google (US only for now (maybe Canada also?)). Then you can direct any calls/txt to that number to forward to your cell or land line service, or use free call recording, and it will forward to your email.

You can also use that number to call out. Free long distance in the US and Canada. Call from the US to the PI: $0.11/min to land lines, $0.17 to mobile numbers, and they announce the fees as you make the call.

You pay with a credit card, keeping a balance in your Google account.

A negative is its awkward to use. Making the LD call, you first call your Google number, then press *, then your PIN (sometimes), then 2 to make the call.

Voice quality is very good.

Not available yet, but maybe in the future: phone numbers for other countries. Then, you could give a Philippines local number to someone in the PI, they call it with local charges, but the call gets forwarded to your number. You would probably pay for the forwarded call.

If you search the Google Voice forums/help online, some people in other countries have already figured out how to 'hack' the system, getting US numbers from other countries and using those for cheaper txt messages. Let us know here if you find any good angles.

BTW, after using this for 3 weeks, I called our dial-around service, "Primus LD" told them I liked Google, and they lowered the rate from the US to PI. Went from $0.359/min to 0.21. I will still use them for LD faxing as its easier to dial.

Edited by JamboME, 25 August 2009 - 12:42 AM.

#2 liliasman

liliasman
  • 282 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE (JamboME @ Aug 24 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No one else has tried this yet? Google Voice is currently still in "Beta", but you can get an invite pretty easy

You get a free phone "number" from Google (US only for now (maybe Canada also?)). Then you can direct any calls/txt to that number to forward to your cell or land line service, or use free call recording, and it will forward to your email.

You can also use that number to call out. Free long distance in the US and Canada. Call from the US to the PI: $0.11/min to land lines, $0.17 to mobile numbers, and they announce the fees as you make the call.

A negative is its awkward to use. Making the LD call, you first call your Google number, then press *, then your PIN (sometimes), then 2 to make the call.

Not available yet, but maybe in the future: phone numbers for other countries. Then, you could give a Philippines local number to someone in the PI, they call it with local charges, but the call gets forwarded to your number. You would probably pay for the forwarded call.

If you search the Google Voice forums/help online, some people in other countries have already figured out how to 'hack' the system, getting US numbers from other countries and using those for cheaper txt messages. Let us know here if you find any good angles.

BTW, after using this for 3 weeks, I called our dial-around service, "Primus LD" told them I liked Google, and they lowered the rate from the US to PI. Went from $0.359/min to 0.21. I will still use them for LD faxing as its easier to dial.

Very Cool, How do I get an invite or do I use my google account

#3 FlyBy

FlyBy

The rise of club music, the fall of apartheid - coincidence?

• 1,301 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Dumaguete

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:01 AM

A big need for LDR folks is phone logs. Does Google voice produce phone logs, and if yes, how easy and organized is it to download the logs?
Old magicians don't die, they just disappear.

#4 JamboME

JamboME
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:09 AM

I really don't know about logs. I am already married so its not an issue. Get a Google account and give it a try. I would imagine there would be an online log that you might print.

#5 FlyBy

FlyBy

The rise of club music, the fall of apartheid - coincidence?

• 1,301 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Dumaguete

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (JamboME @ Aug 24 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really don't know about logs. I am already married so its not an issue. Get a Google account and give it a try. I would imagine there would be an online log that you might print.

Well it will be interesting to see if Google voice takes off and becomes a major player like skype.

We all basically have to pay the .16/min to the Phils for mobile calls because that is what the price is set as to pay for the call.

Yes, some folks get bargain basement phone cards, or call for free, and I tried about every method out there.

I settled on getting the Intl. Calling rate from Cox Cable, at .16/min, plus professional call logs on my cable bill each month.

Thanks for the info, and come back more often to tell us how you and Che Che are doing.

Cheers,

-=Fly=-

Old magicians don't die, they just disappear.

#6 magkandarapa

magkandarapa
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (FlyBy @ Aug 24 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A big need for LDR folks is phone logs. Does Google voice produce phone logs, and if yes, how easy and organized is it to download the logs?

All information about the calls you make and receive from your Google Voice number are stored online and are very easy to access. Same with any voice mail messages and text messages that you receive at your GV number.

#7 liliasman

liliasman
  • 282 posts
  • ca

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (JamboME @ Aug 24 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Took a couple weeks but I got my Google invitation today, The prices are half what i pay on skype and a lot of features. After I try this a few times its time to cut Skype.

http://www.google.co...amp;topic=22637

#8 username

username
  • 1,953 posts
  • te
  • Local Office:Had to use snail mail

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

We use google voice and really like the service.

I have not had any issues with the interface. The voice quality is excellend too.

#9 dontron64

dontron64
  • 232 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca
  • Local Office:Anchorage

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

I have another unique problem. My upcoming trip to the Philippines will require me to work some nights. I have been looking to Skype to allow me to be able to call the US from the Philippines for extended time frames.
Has anyone tried this successfully?
Does anyone have any other successfully implemented ideas?

I'm a contractor and I don't get paid if I don't work. My boss will let me work 3 days a week online so I need a good / reliable internet connecton at a hotel in Cebu? Anybody have any solid history with hotels (and their internet usage - hours per day) in Cebu? Along with the ability to call the US for periods of up to an hour at a time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Our time line:
-----------
11-2-09 Met for the first time
11-3-09 Went to dinner to celebrate my birthday
11-18-09 Officially became bf/gf.
11-22-09 Went back to the States
1-1-10 Talked to her father on the phone queried about my intentions. Told him I intended to marry her.
10-8-10 2nd Trip back to Philippines
10-10-10 Proposed to her ... She said YES!
10-16-10 Meet her parents and family in the province for the first time
10-25-10 Returned to States
11-2010 Started her annulment process
1-4-11 Free to marry within the country
2-8-11 3rd trip to Philippines
2-10-11 Annulment process complete (can file for US visas now)
4-27-11 Got Married
5-30-11 Finally received marriage contract from priest
6-4-11 Discovered we needed to get an electronic endorsement of our marriage contract submitted
6-22-11 Finally got updated CENOMAR to show annulment of previous marriage
7-29-11 Finally had to say good bye and leave the Philippines after 6 months
8-18-11 Submitted CR-1 pkg to visa service agency
9-9-11 After a thorough review and obtaining additional docs, finally mailed our pkg to USCIS.
9-12-11 NOA1 recieved
3-14-12 NOA2 approved!!!! (per USCIS website)
3-19-12 pkg received by NVC
4-3-12 Finally received NVC case #
4-4-12 Paid AOS fee
4-5-12 USPS'd AOS docs. NVC gave me permission to send in my wife's DS-230 docs without needing to pay for the IV fee first, due to the IV fee change next week and I'm under a tight time schedule.
4-6-12 USPS'd DS230 docs.
4-13-12 will pay new fee schedule for IV fee.
4-13-12 Departing for PI for my 4th trip. (9 mos apart is a long time.)
4-17-12 Completed her medical exam while we were in Manila after my arrival.
4-23-12 paid IV fees
5-4-12 Requested an expedite from manila since I was in country through May - Approved.
5-9-12 NVC finally sends the pkg to Manila.
5-18-12 Finally able to schedule our interview to fit into my in country travel.
5-23-12 Interview, long (6hrs), boring, pain in the butt, but PASSED
5-28-12 Finally received her passport back in Surigao, worried it would pass us as we headed towards manila.
6-4-12 I had to return to the US, she had to take a later flight due to the uncertainty with her passport.
6-6-12 Len arrives in the US in Chicago.
6-7-12 0020 Len arrives on one of the last incoming flights at Hobby Airport in Houston. HOME AT LAST!!!!

#10 AndrwMrk

AndrwMrk
  • Moderators
  • 1,913 posts
  • ch
  • Local Office:Chicago

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (dontron64 @ Aug 15 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have another unique problem. My upcoming trip to the Philippines will require me to work some nights. I have been looking to Skype to allow me to be able to call the US from the Philippines for extended time frames.
Has anyone tried this successfully?
Does anyone have any other successfully implemented ideas?

I'm a contractor and I don't get paid if I don't work. My boss will let me work 3 days a week online so I need a good / reliable internet connecton at a hotel in Cebu? Anybody have any solid history with hotels (and their internet usage - hours per day) in Cebu? Along with the ability to call the US for periods of up to an hour at a time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Skype might work, also look into Magic Jack, I've never used it personally but have heard good things about it.

As far as hotels in the philippines, some have a great connection some do not. I've not found any free internet in Cebu yet, but if you were to go to Ormoc City on the other hand, I could recommend a nice hotel. dry.gif

I'm a contractor myself and was planning on doing some work the last time I was in the Philippines...finding a connection wasn't a problem...my problem was finding the time because we were always so busy.
"Mix those mixed nuts! I see two almonds touching!"
~Kif Kroker

#11 IamAGeek

IamAGeek

I am here to chill!

• 1,368 posts
  • Interests:Blogging
  • lo
  • Local Office:Orlando,FL

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

I did not have a phone log during my embassy interview. It came out fine.
My husband used phone cards.
My blog site, A Laid Back Life In Ormond Beach (hosted by iPage).

#12 watchful2006

watchful2006
  • 1,405 posts
  • mi
  • Local Office:Denver, CO

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:44 AM

<a href="https://www.google.com/voice" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/voice</a>

if i'll use google voice thru my phone , does my cellphone provider will charge me separately for international calls or just plainly google rates?

***LOVE CONQUERS ALL***

K1 Visa Approved-------------------------------------------------July 21, 2006
2 Yrs. Conditional Greencard Approved----------------------June 20, 2007
10 Yrs. Unconditional Greencard Approved------------------June 03, 2009
N-400 Approved -------------------------------------------------February 7, 2011

*** There's No Greater Love Than to Lay Down Once Life for a Friend ***

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users