#1 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:50 PM

Bob posted this on Asawa forum today.

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:07 pm Post subject: ASAWA forum is going offline indefinitely

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been away from the forum for several weeks now as a result of various circumstances. During that time I gave a lot of thought to whether I wanted to continue the forum, which, honestly, I've found more of a chore this past year than in any the previous seven years - essentially, since my return from Iraq in 2005.

Primarily, this is because my job now requires frequent travel and long hours. Also, it's not as novel an enterprise as it used to be for me, personally. A person can get tired of almost any endeavor if it goes on too long, no matter how much merit the endeavor has. I think this has been a great forum, and I know it's helped thousands of people. And I realize it has the potential to help even more. But I can't spend any more time on it, and if I can't run the forum to my standards, I shouldn't be running it.

There is also a financial factor: two of the companies which generated the income which kept the forum's bills paid have gone out of business in the past year. Also, the sideline jobs which I used to use to earn money for the forum (selling Philippine stamps and dictionaries) I no longer have time for. In short, the forum's dedicated server and hosting fees now cost more than the forum can generate.

Still, the reason is ultimatley more personal than financial. There are other forums out there - I will attempt to find a list I compiled a few months ago, and post it here - which discuss the topic of Fil-West relationships. Even though I am closing the forum for new posts and replies, I am leaving the PM function active, to allow everyone here to continue communicating with friends they've made, and hopefully to alert others of forums they've found which can serve their needs.

Why close the forum so suddently, you might ask? Because really, there's no gradual way to do it. If I made a post stating the forum would close down in a week, people would continue to post, or to urge that it remain open, and odds are I'd probably extend it for another few months, against my own better judgment. Some of you here know that on two other occasions I attempted to close, or drastically shrink, the forum, only to give in to demands to give it another chance. So, the only way to get this done is to just do it, 100%, all at once.

I will keep the forum in read-only mode as a resource to other visitors. The database contains several years of data which ASAWA visitors can still draw from, and while I am closing the forum, I am not closing the website itself, since it requires no particular investment of time or money.

Thanks to everyone who helped make the forum a success over the years. Good luck in all your endeavors, and relationships.

- Bob

I knew this was coming.

TIM

#2 denterprise

denterprise
  • Moderators
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:Basketball, tennis, traveling
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • te
  • Local Office:Orlando

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:05 AM

I just went over there and read it for myself after reading an earlier post here. I was shocked to read the news. After seven years it will all come to an end. That site has helped so many people get through the visa process. Now it is time for other sites to step up and fill the void.

I don't think most of their members even realize the site is closed. You can't post any new topics or reply to anything, it is a done deal. It is kind of sad for it to close like that after seven years.
God is Good all the time

Dave

#3 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • ch

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:15 AM

He didnt tell anyone in advance. Asawa was the 1st forum that I joined and I really enjoyed it up till about the last 6 months it really went down hill fast. To much fighting , name calling and foul mouths. That wont happen here. They might try it but they wont last long.
TIM

#4 denterprise

denterprise
  • Moderators
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:Basketball, tennis, traveling
  • te
  • Local Office:Orlando

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:36 AM

He didnt tell anyone in advance. Asawa was the 1st forum that I joined and I really enjoyed it up till about the last 6 months it really went down hill fast. To much fighting , name calling and foul mouths. That wont happen here. They might try it but they wont last long.
TIM

It was also my first forum to join. I moved with them two times up to the present site. It was an excellent forum but like you said in the last six mouths went down hill fast. I am happy you plan to keep that type of behavior out of here.
God is Good all the time

Dave

#5 mai

mai
  • Members
  • 349 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Pending)
  • lo

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:53 AM

NOw i know why i cant reply anymore to any of the posts. I learned a lot from that forum.my first forum which i joined in..and also the first forum i knew which there's lots of troublemakers.

It was a great forum though..

Godbless!

#6 Coastie

Coastie
  • Members
  • 1,726 posts
  • te

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:10 AM

TIM

Well Tim there is where I learned about this fourm. I remember seeing your post on there, George's and maybe even Don's. But your and George's I do remember for sure.
Set Sail and enjoy Life treasures and leave the Troubles behind

#7 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,128 posts
  • Location:Home is where the heart is and my heart is with my wife.
  • ca
  • Local Office:Denver

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:27 AM

I must admit I'm a bit surprised, but sad to say not that disappointed. Like Tim mentioned, it turned south a few months back and it put a bad taste in my mouth. I think it could have been cleaned up rather than shut down but I know the personal attacks weren't the only reason why the forum was closed. I think it was shut down properly. Otherwise, as Bob mentioned, it would have prolonged the inevitable.

I am glad to see that the forum is still open for searches as the site does contain a wealth of knowledge.
Love is a decision... an act of will. ~Fr John Corapi.
The Will of God will never take you to a place where the Grace of God does not protect you. ~unkown
Posted Image + Posted Image = Posted Image
Timelines
Facebook Page

#8 southerndon

southerndon
  • Moderators
  • 1,661 posts
  • lo

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:05 AM

NOw i know why i cant reply anymore to any of the posts. I learned a lot from that forum.my first forum which i joined in..and also the first forum i knew which there's lots of troublemakers.

It was a great forum though..
Godbless!

Mai when u asked me why u couldnt reply to Teres post i guess it was an understatement when I said the thread was locked! He locked the whole darn forum!

Troublemakers what to do wiht them?! :D

Southerndon

#9 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,115 posts
  • te
  • Local Office:Atlanta

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:12 AM

wow i am shocked that such a large forum with such a large base has closed...however i will say now that
i did not enjoy reading the majority of posts because they were always hijacked and turned into war zones...
there are some rough folks over there...i hope they do not find their way here because i really enjoy this forum and every member here (especially since one of them has been banned from here i presume)..anyway
see you around ASAWA

#10 cutie_chirp

cutie_chirp
  • 1,688 posts
  • lo
  • Local Office:n/a

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:12 AM

it makes me feel sad also because without asawa, i won't be meeting great people and would not be invited by tim to joined here...i progress through time, i am now a moderator here which really makes me too glad and i promise to each and everyone that i will do my very best...

infact, just now...i am trying to one of the post which i originally posted but can't reply anymore...huh, to my surprised, i read it here that asawa was closed...

nevertheless, it's nice to know that it is still open for people's inquiries...

well, to all of us here, lets make our site a great one!

see you around,
Che

"A great life is not about routine but doing something rare!
To cherish & not to compare! To forgive, not to blame & to be loving without counting!
Laugh at your mistakes but learn from them!
Joke over your troubles but gather strength from them!
Have fun with your difficulties but overcome them!"

in every beginning there's an ending, in every stop there's always a start
like in every sunset, sunrise always awaits

#11 southerndon

southerndon
  • Moderators
  • 1,661 posts
  • lo

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:23 AM

Che

maybe if we can contact the members that we personally knew and invite them and get them to do the same then maybe we can capture many of the good members.

Or maybe we can still PM many of the good folks there i heard the PM feature was sitll open ....

it's sad the forum turned out like it did..i joined in 2004 november i think and I depended on that site for information to help me "survive" my 5 month stay in PI...it served me well.

We can build this site to do the same thing and more....but it will take a concerted effort to keep riff raff out of here....

Southerndon

#12 Coastie

Coastie
  • Members
  • 1,726 posts
  • te

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

...but it will take a concerted effort to keep riff raff out of here....

Southerndon

With any forum, your bound to get a few, but with good Mod's they can be controled.

I have been on some discussion boards where I was the one getting attacked, yet I was the one that got into trouble all the time. But the problem was the MOD disagreed with my views, and even started some of the attacks..

#13 Tito Jorge

Tito Jorge
  • Banned
  • 533 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Seattle

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:00 PM

Well Tim there is where I learned about this fourm. I remember seeing your post on there, George's and maybe even Don's. But your and George's I do remember for sure.

Yeah I have been known to post there from time to time ...

My association with ASAWA goes back to before ASAWA even had a forum ... Bob was a member at Mag-Anak also ...

Personally, I always thought ASAWA was a much better resource in the old days before Bob attempted to turn it into a business ... but thats just my opinion ...

I dont think its dead ... Bob just put it to sleep until he can reorganize ... he has renewed the domain for 6 more years ... so Im confident that ASAWA will be back ... not sure when ... but I think maybe this is just a vacation for the forum more than anything ...

-- George

#14 Coastie

Coastie
  • Members
  • 1,726 posts
  • te

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:32 PM

Yeah I have been known to post there from time to time ...

-- George

Your cartoon art the Gaint and the fairy you use is what I remember so well from there.

#15 Ilocos

Ilocos
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

I too was an Asawa member joined when years ago, when it was much smaller. I was as great site with lots of information, but I think it got to big. I also think he picked some wrong people to be Mods.

Since this site started I have not been to Asawa.

#16 mai

mai
  • Members
  • 349 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Pending)
  • lo

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:34 PM

Your cartoon art the Gaint and the fairy you use is what I remember so well from there.

very true..i always recognize him with his "the giant and the fairy" thing.. and also, with his font style and font size... even if you try to run-through the whole page fastly..you will easily recognize his post.

godbless!

#17 kurtwwalters

kurtwwalters
  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:restoring 240Zs
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:16 PM

Its too bad... Lots of good info there at asawa. Helped me a ton.
Officially engaged 3/25/2006
I-129F submitted 5/23/2006
I-129F received 5/24/2006
NOA1 received 6/9/2006
RFE received 6/29/2006
RFE submitted 6/30/2006
NOA2 Approval 7/25/2006
NOA2 received 7/30/2006
NVC received approved I-129F packet 8/3/2006
NVC Letter received 8/5/2006
St. Lukes Medical date 11/7/2006
CFO Seminar 11/13/2006
Embassy Interview date 11/14/2006
Visa Received 11/27/2006
Flying to the PI to fetch her 1/11/2007
I have my Peachy home in Phoenix 1/23/2007
Married in Las Vegas 3/24/2007

#18 loomixguy

loomixguy
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

[b]I think George is right that the HF WILL return. When, or under what guise, nobody knows.

I DO KNOW that Bobu recieved a very lucrative offer for asawa today, but I'll bet he turned it down, cold. He better do something, FAST, while he still has something worth selling..........

#19 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • ch

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:32 PM

Maybe it will open and maybe it wont. I could really care less. Asawa was a great forum at one time but Bob lost control of it and was unable or unwilling to get it back.
TIM

#20 Coastie

Coastie
  • Members
  • 1,726 posts
  • te

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:25 AM

Already seeing the effect here, been really busy on here lately.. Alot of new members joining...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users