Photo

Hubby knows almost nothing of Tagalog and Bisaya language. And yours?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 joseph41

joseph41
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • te

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

How could you say this,have you experienced being laughted at when you are trying to speak our language or this is just your impression being filipino people no.1 passtime is gossiping ? Jejeje.......I don't understand why we could be jealous if we heard foreign speaking our language..we could be amazed...

I,myself, and the rest of my filipino family laugh when hubby speak but this doesn't mean an offense towards him..they find him cute by mis-pronouncing the words .

Yeah there are filipino people who are rude and uneducated but mostly are fond of speaking with foreigners..

Sadly, I have to agree with the distasteful german poster. Lots of bad seeds here, but the problem is that the pinoys group us all together and even if you can distinguish yourself, they still hate you if you don't give them something. I'm not 'buying' my wife so there is no need to associate the the whole barangay because they are not on my dime. She helps who she chooses thru her OWN salary and thats how I've set it up. We both work and have one of the few legitmate relationships here. Why screw that up by getting chummy with her in-laws in bisayan? It can only go bad.

And yes, sweetie. I get laughed at every day by your countrymen. What other reason than envy? Today, some pinoy were laughing at me and asking why I was eating lunch alone at my usual eatery. I told them I am not pinoy and can be alone for 5 minutes without dying....then I laughed for like 5 minutes and pointed at them cuz they were being jerks. They got the point. There is no merit in being decent here. I gave up on that long ago. Unless you want to make friends by buying them stuff. They are cool with that. :)

#42 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

<br><br><br>

Edited by melody, 23 December 2011 - 06:57 PM.

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#43 makinaugalingon nasud

makinaugalingon nasud
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:people, places and things, family, shopping, culture, the philippines!
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • em
  • Local Office:Roxas Boulivard Manila Phils

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

Sadly, I have to agree with the distasteful german poster. Lots of bad seeds here, but the problem is that the pinoys group us all together and even if you can distinguish yourself, they still hate you if you don't give them something. I'm not 'buying' my wife so there is no need to associate the the whole barangay because they are not on my dime. She helps who she chooses thru her OWN salary and thats how I've set it up. We both work and have one of the few legitmate relationships here. Why screw that up by getting chummy with her in-laws in bisayan? It can only go bad.

And yes, sweetie. I get laughed at every day by your countrymen. What other reason than envy? Today, some pinoy were laughing at me and asking why I was eating lunch alone at my usual eatery. I told them I am not pinoy and can be alone for 5 minutes without dying....then I laughed for like 5 minutes and pointed at them cuz they were being jerks. They got the point. There is no merit in being decent here. I gave up on that long ago. Unless you want to make friends by buying them stuff. They are cool with that. :)

well my my my do you see what i see here? i see decades of white americans with their ''whites only'' public drinking fountains, park benches, doorways, tables, bus seats, restaurants, etc etc getting a taste of what they dished out till the 1960's getting a taste of their own medicine IN ANOTHER COUNTRY and not liking the taste of it and the sad part was that in the white controlled USA it mattered not how famous you was like Jackie Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Joe Louis, Ali, Frazier, Little Richard et al "back of the bus nikkah" only to now hear " but the problem is that the pinoys group us all together and even if you can distinguish yourself, they still hate you"
if that was true, which it is not, it would be no different than the USA before JFK and MLK put an end to it, whites did not complain then so why complain now
Father,
Your own Son was a prisoner.
Condemned, he died for us.
Victorious, He returned to bring us the gift of life everlasting.
Comfort us now in our longing for the return of the Prisoners Of War and those Missing In Action.
Help Us Father;
Inspire us to remove the obstacles.
Give courage to those who know the truth to speak out.
Grant wisdom to the negotiators, and compassion to the jailors.
Inspire the media to speak out as loudly as they have in the past.
Protect those who seek in secret and help them to succeed.
Show us the tools to do Your will.
Guard and bless those in captivity, their families, and those who work for their release.
Let them come home soon.
Thank you Father.
Amen.

#44 beeguy

beeguy
  • 884 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

well my my my do you see what i see here? i see decades of white americans with their ''whites only'' public drinking fountains, park benches, doorways, tables, bus seats, restaurants, etc etc getting a taste of what they dished out till the 1960's getting a taste of their own medicine IN ANOTHER COUNTRY and not liking the taste of it and the sad part was that in the white controlled USA it mattered not how famous you was like Jackie Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Joe Louis, Ali, Frazier, Little Richard et al "back of the bus nikkah" only to now hear " but the problem is that the pinoys group us all together and even if you can distinguish yourself, they still hate you"
if that was true, which it is not, it would be no different than the USA before JFK and MLK put an end to it, whites did not complain then so why complain now

SOME Americans. Don't lump us all in with those few who were so insecure in themselves that they could only get to the top by pushing others to the bottom.

03/02/2010: First trip to the Philippines.
04/06/2010: Joined WOF
04/11/2010: Met on Cherry Blossoms.
05/06/2010: Talked her into joining WOF.
05/13/2010: Changed our statuses on Facebook to "in a relationship".
05/28/2010: Met her friend and her employer in Chicago (here on business).
08/17/2010: Booked trip to the Philippines.
09/05/2010: Arrived in Manila late at night. Met her in the waiting area. WOW!
09/08/2010: Met her parents and most of the family!
09/10/2010: Trekked to the top of Mt. Pinatubo and surprised her with a ring. She said YES!
09/19/2010: Had to return to US. :(
03/25/2011: Arrived second visit with her. Together again.
04/14/2011: Flew back to Chicago :(

K-1
07/25/2011: Starting on K-1 package. Where did I put all that stuff???
08/02/2011: K-1 Petition package mailed via Priority Mail to Texas Service Center! The clock is running...

08/09/2011: K-1 Petition package delivered to Texas Service Center.
08/13/2011: K-1 Petition NOA1 received.
01/11/2012: I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) APPROVED
01/27/2012: NVC notification letter received.
02/07/2012: She received the letter from the US Embassy
02/14/2012: She passed the physical at St. Lukes!
02/15/2012: She finished her CFO seminar
02/27/2012: Depart O'Hare for Manila
02/28/2012: Arrived very late in Manila

03/01/2012: Interview at the US Embassy - K1 VISA APPROVED!!
03/07/2012: Visa delivered!
03/08/2012: Got CFO sticker.

03/16/2012: Arrived in the USA together.

05/12/2012: Married!!!

AOS

05/18/2012: Mailed AOS package to USCIS.
08/10/2012: Received temp Emp Auth Card with Advanced Parole from USCIS.

04/04/2013: Received her Permanent Resident Card from USCIS!

Removing Conditions

03/20/2015: Mailed I-751 package to USCIS

03/23/2015: I-751 package arrived at the California Service Center

03/25/2015: I-751 check cashed by USCIS

03/27/2015: I-751 NOA received from USCIS

04/13/2015: Bought tickets to Phil for her brother's wedding in June.

IMG_0692.JPG

#45 makinaugalingon nasud

makinaugalingon nasud
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:people, places and things, family, shopping, culture, the philippines!
  • em

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

Living in the Philippines is such a give and take situation. I was ashamed of myself once when our group of expats were out one night along the blvd on Friday night in Surigao. They close of the road and put up a bunch of eateries, etc. Well they also had a singing contest and they started with the Philippine National Anthem, and due to peer pressure I didn't stand for the Anthem. I regretted it as soon as it was over because if they were in my country living there, I would expect the same respect. Lesson learned.

On the flip side of that is the endless BS that goes with living there. I made the SEVERE MISTAKE of taking Travelers checks with me. DO NOT DO THAT EVER!!!!. Well only 2 banks in town would cash them ( 1, BDO, charged 50P and the other, which one escapes me at the moment, charged 2%.) BDO then tired of me coming in on a regular basis because it took so long to do, but if they had just let me do a larger amount it would have taken the same amount of time because they were all sequential.

BDO said in order for me to continue to cash them I needed to have a bank account. OK FINE, SIGN ME UP.
Sorry but you need to have a permanent resident card . NO I HAVE A 1 YEAR VISA
Sorry but you can't open an account without being a resident. CATCH-22 , A CIRCULAR ARGUMENT WITH NO ONRAMP. I WILL PLAY YOUR GAME, I WILL OPEN AN ACCOUNT BUT AT LEAST MAKE IT POSSIBLE, OTHERWISE WHY WOULD I BE USING TRAVELERS CHECKS AND HAVE A VISA, BECAUSE I'M A QUASI RESIDENT/TOURIST.
Out of desperation, I called the main BDO Customer Service and found out this was all the managers doing. No bank wide restriction, No hard-n-fast rule of $200/day limit (managers discretion).

Using the expat network connection, I was able to get it resolved. One of the head expats was able to basically subtly shame the branch manager. So finally he allowed me to open an account using my 3 US ID's and the world was at peace, full of love and happiness.

It only took me 4 out of a total of 6 months to reach that nirvana.

Bought a motor scooter, all nice and legal. But it was going to take 3 months to get my registration. OK, no big deal. I paid for it. I have a receipt. etc.
WRONG!!! after paying I'm told not to ride it downtown where all of the traffic cops are because they can ticket me for not having a registration and impound the bike and keep it. It really defeated the purpose if you can't use it to go into town. Sorry no refunds.

Once again, that American connection comes to the rescue. Well you can't bribe people, but you can go buy 2 dozen donuts and go to the morning roll call of the traffic cops and being the friendly guy I am and I explain my situation that the company isn't even allowed to sell here legally, and they must get their registrations from Cebu, hence the delay. Please forgive me and please don't give me any problems. "Hoi, walang problema pare ko" . It wasn't a bribe. It was a chance to explain the situation. And I never had another problem in town. All of the cops knew me by site and would joyfully greet me as i passed by. Just don't take the bike to other cities.

LOL the wife and i stand for the anthem in SM movie theater yea we are the only ones standing but its habit

BDO or any other bank is BDO or whatever by the sign on the door and ATM use only other than that they are hiwalay

we had BDO acct in misamis oriental that we had to go to so we could transfer the funds to cavite they would not interbank wire because they are not interbanks (i guess) seems private owned and DO NOT trust PDIC to cover you..not

you say 1 yr visa so you are balikbayan and got ACR I-CARD try this

Foreigners legally residing in the Philippines can open an account by presenting the
How to Open a Savings Account in the Philippines
By Rianne Hill Soriano, eHow Contributor

Print this article

How to Open a Savings Account in the Philippinesthumbnail Open a savings account at the "New Accounts" section of the bank.

Unless you already have an active account in a major bank in the Philippines where opening an account online is also possible, Philippine banks always require you to be present when opening a savings account.

Foreigners legally residing in the Philippines can open an account by presenting the original Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR-I) card along with other standard requirements. For foreigners, the process of opening a bank account can take about one to two weeks after interview and background checks are made by the bank.

Go the bank with all of the required paperwork. It is best to photocopy all of the documents beforehand to make the process faster. Bring two valid identification cards, three identical photos (usually 1 x 1 inch in size, also called ID size) and the minimum deposit amount required for a regular savings account (in cash or in check, usually PHP 500.00 to 5,000.00 or $11.50 to $114.00, as of the June 2010 exchange rate).

Go to the "New Accounts" section of the bank. Inform the banker you want to open a savings account. Give all the documents you brought to the banker. You will receive forms and signature cards to fill out.

Fill out the forms. These typically include an AI (Account Information) Form for individual and joint accounts or a BI (Business Information) Form for business and corporate accounts. Fill out the three signature cards, more popularly addressed as the sig cards, with your contact details and signature samples. Your ID photo will also be pasted on each sig card.

Fill out the deposit slip and put down the amount of the initial deposit you provided to the banker. Give the banker your deposit amount in cash or check format. The banker validates all the forms, and will then give you your account number, which will also be placed on the deposit form.

Wait for the processing of your account. The banker goes to the teller to make the initial deposit for you, after which you will receive your copy of your deposit slip, which has now been stamped or signed by the teller. Depending on the bank where you opened the account, you may have to wait for five to 15 minutes for your ATM card or you may be asked to return after one to five banking days to pick up your card.

Once you receive your ATM card, change the initial/temporary password at the bank's ATM machine.

Read more: How to Open a Savings Account in the Philippines | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz1hPLq9JiH
Father,
Comfort us now in our longing for the return of the Prisoners Of War and those Missing In Action.
Help Us Father;
Guard and bless those in captivity, their families, and those who work for their release.
Let them come home soon.
Thank you Father.
Amen.

#46 makinaugalingon nasud

makinaugalingon nasud
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • em

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

SOME Americans. Don't lump us all in with those few who were so insecure in themselves that they could only get to the top by pushing others to the bottom.

as i told the wife....when she asked ''won't they take offense to that?''

i replied ''not if the shoe don't fit''
Father,
Help Us Father;
Let them come home soon.
Thank you Father.
Amen.

#47 dontron64

dontron64
  • 232 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Anchorage

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

LOL the wife and i stand for the anthem in SM movie theater yea we are the only ones standing but its habit

BDO or any other bank is BDO or whatever by the sign on the door and ATM use only other than that they are hiwalay

we had BDO acct in misamis oriental that we had to go to so we could transfer the funds to cavite they would not interbank wire because they are not interbanks (i guess) seems private owned and DO NOT trust PDIC to cover you..not

you say 1 yr visa so you are balikbayan and got ACR I-CARD try this

Foreigners legally residing in the Philippines can open an account by presenting the
How to Open a Savings Account in the Philippines
By Rianne Hill Soriano, eHow Contributor

Print this article

How to Open a Savings Account in the Philippinesthumbnail Open a savings account at the "New Accounts" section of the bank.

Unless you already have an active account in a major bank in the Philippines where opening an account online is also possible, Philippine banks always require you to be present when opening a savings account.

Foreigners legally residing in the Philippines can open an account by presenting the original Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR-I) card along with other standard requirements. For foreigners, the process of opening a bank account can take about one to two weeks after interview and background checks are made by the bank.

I wasn't married at the time I tried to open the account. Thus I didn't have the ACR-I card. That was the whole dilemma. It wasn't until we were able to meet with the branch manager and he found a way (read that... he wanted to find a way) to solve the problem. I showed him my visa that showed I was going to be there for a year. I had my passport, drivers license and concealed carry license and miraculously the ACR-I requirement that had held me up for months, was gone.

Going through the Branch Manager on my own had proven fruitless, but one of the expats had been living there for 9 yrs, and he was able to subtly pressure the manager by pointing out the idiocy of the circular rule. He said he wanted to pass on to the expats the correct procedure for future expats who find them in the same situation but it couldn't be accomplished, etc.

The manager relented and I presented my 3 forms of id, and i signed the account docs and i got my account opened right away, no 2 - 3 week delay as mentioned prior in the article you mentioned in your post.
Our time line:
-----------
11-2-09 Met for the first time
11-3-09 Went to dinner to celebrate my birthday
11-18-09 Officially became bf/gf.
11-22-09 Went back to the States
1-1-10 Talked to her father on the phone queried about my intentions. Told him I intended to marry her.
10-8-10 2nd Trip back to Philippines
10-10-10 Proposed to her ... She said YES!
10-16-10 Meet her parents and family in the province for the first time
10-25-10 Returned to States
11-2010 Started her annulment process
1-4-11 Free to marry within the country
2-8-11 3rd trip to Philippines
2-10-11 Annulment process complete (can file for US visas now)
4-27-11 Got Married
5-30-11 Finally received marriage contract from priest
6-4-11 Discovered we needed to get an electronic endorsement of our marriage contract submitted
6-22-11 Finally got updated CENOMAR to show annulment of previous marriage
7-29-11 Finally had to say good bye and leave the Philippines after 6 months
8-18-11 Submitted CR-1 pkg to visa service agency
9-9-11 After a thorough review and obtaining additional docs, finally mailed our pkg to USCIS.
9-12-11 NOA1 recieved
3-14-12 NOA2 approved!!!! (per USCIS website)
3-19-12 pkg received by NVC
4-3-12 Finally received NVC case #
4-4-12 Paid AOS fee
4-5-12 USPS'd AOS docs. NVC gave me permission to send in my wife's DS-230 docs without needing to pay for the IV fee first, due to the IV fee change next week and I'm under a tight time schedule.
4-6-12 USPS'd DS230 docs.
4-13-12 will pay new fee schedule for IV fee.
4-13-12 Departing for PI for my 4th trip. (9 mos apart is a long time.)
4-17-12 Completed her medical exam while we were in Manila after my arrival.
4-23-12 paid IV fees
5-4-12 Requested an expedite from manila since I was in country through May - Approved.
5-9-12 NVC finally sends the pkg to Manila.
5-18-12 Finally able to schedule our interview to fit into my in country travel.
5-23-12 Interview, long (6hrs), boring, pain in the butt, but PASSED
5-28-12 Finally received her passport back in Surigao, worried it would pass us as we headed towards manila.
6-4-12 I had to return to the US, she had to take a later flight due to the uncertainty with her passport.
6-6-12 Len arrives in the US in Chicago.
6-7-12 0020 Len arrives on one of the last incoming flights at Hobby Airport in Houston. HOME AT LAST!!!!

#48 joseph41

joseph41
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • te

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Yes, that is all MY fault...sorry. :) To put this back on topic, it was a great Christmas here in Ormoc. We went out to the province (even more province than Ormoc..lol)and my father in law and great uncle took me on a boat ride! We have been planning this for a year now but his boat is always busy (he rents it out). He is one of the few Filipinos that I really wish I could talk to. We stopped at a remote nipa hut on the way from San Juan to the sea and there we sat and drank rum and ate lechon, but the conversation was sparse with my 30 words of Bisayan. All in all a great day. Maybe when the baby comes, I will get an attitude adjustment and accept that the local lambasting is just an encouragement to learn their lingo :)

#49 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

Oooppss.. i just saw now that when i quoted you before only br>br> came up..:blink: Perhaps i felt cold that time because of brr..brr.. :lol: and i was not able to see my error..

Sadly i have to agree with you too .. The bad thing of us pinoy is...we don't only group foreigners all together but also we group our countrymen.. When we see progress in others life compare to the poor life we have we tend to hate others . Yeah you don't need to associate with them gentleman but some bottles of redbull or san miguel you can share to those drunkards to make you appreciated by them and some extra coins for children to give in christmas.. It is not necessary you give your presence with them but if you act really like strangers they may have negative impression towards you... If you are living in pinas,you should try to adapt our culture so as your wife could do when she will be in US.. It's not a peaceful living being hated in a baranggay where you live..

Oh.. thanks for calling me sweetie..you make my day! :D
But hey men try to appear cute to them naman..I don't want to question your feeling when you are being laughed at them but your answer is a kind of harsh..if i were you i could tell," I don't like pinoy food but i like pinay ladies this is why i have a pinay wife.. ;) Yeah there are some pinoy who take advantage for the gentleness and the generousity of someone.If you give them your hands,they may try to ask your arms as well...but you could deal with them along with principles..you could let them understand that you are a poor immigrant from US taking advantage for the $ rate,coz money elswhere is hard to find...

And i could say... it's hard to be decent too in a place where many have aan undecent mind..

Edited by melody, 26 December 2011 - 09:28 PM.

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#50 makinaugalingon nasud

makinaugalingon nasud
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • em

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Yes, that is all MY fault...sorry. :) To put this back on topic, it was a great Christmas here in Ormoc. We went out to the province (even more province than Ormoc..lol)and my father in law and great uncle took me on a boat ride! We have been planning this for a year now but his boat is always busy (he rents it out). He is one of the few Filipinos that I really wish I could talk to. We stopped at a remote nipa hut on the way from San Juan to the sea and there we sat and drank rum and ate lechon, but the conversation was sparse with my 30 words of Bisayan. All in all a great day. Maybe when the baby comes, I will get an attitude adjustment and accept that the local lambasting is just an encouragement to learn their lingo :)

Manigong bagong taon, we don't go to the province for the holiday, we bring the province up here to stay with us, we have 9 here now, makes things easier to handle as water in the province near CDO is not dependable nor kosher ryght now after all the flooding also same can be said about the electric
wish I could hog tie mama but the gal gotta make her rounds
the boat ride brought back memories of our 8 1/2 hr barge ride out of Siquijor, never again man give me the 30 min jet boat any day
I wont spell this right and all the women are cooking so no asking them but when I raise an eyebrow while using my shopping tagalog right away they ask do you speak tagalog I seem to always draw a smile with my quick ...di mushado
Father,
Help Us Father;
Let them come home soon.
Thank you Father.
Amen.

#51 joseph41

joseph41
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • te

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:39 AM

Manigong bagong taon, we don't go to the province for the holiday, we bring the province up here to stay with us, we have 9 here now, makes things easier to handle as water in the province near CDO is not dependable nor kosher ryght now after all the flooding also same can be said about the electric
wish I could hog tie mama but the gal gotta make her rounds
the boat ride brought back memories of our 8 1/2 hr barge ride out of Siquijor, never again man give me the 30 min jet boat any day
I wont spell this right and all the women are cooking so no asking them but when I raise an eyebrow while using my shopping tagalog right away they ask do you speak tagalog I seem to always draw a smile with my quick ...di mushado

Wow, you are really immersed in Tagalog with the whole family there. Certainly the best way to learn a language. Bisayan is so confusing as it's not actually a written language and it seems to be ever-changing. I'd certainly be happier learning a more structured language like Tagalog/Filipino. And also length of stay is a big factor in a foreigners desire to learn the language. I think most posters here are visiting a short while then bringing the girl back to their country. So learning a few words should be appreciated by her as I know he has endured many other sufferings to come visit her... :)

#52 makinaugalingon nasud

makinaugalingon nasud
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • em

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Wow, you are really immersed in Tagalog with the whole family there. Certainly the best way to learn a language. Bisayan is so confusing as it's not actually a written language and it seems to be ever-changing. I'd certainly be happier learning a more structured language like Tagalog/Filipino. And also length of stay is a big factor in a foreigners desire to learn the language. I think most posters here are visiting a short while then bringing the girl back to their country. So learning a few words should be appreciated by her as I know he has endured many other sufferings to come visit her... :)

LOL here at home they dont speak tagalog, only in public, here its bisaya, we have mama, neices fem and lynn, nephew jhong living with us and we brought them all up years ago from laguindigan misamis orental mindinao our 2 boys live with their te down there as working students the wife daughter and i make 7 here i sold everything i had in usa with no intention of going back....ever....so the option of taking them there was no option at all no reason for it either the pi meets our every need so what would be the reason for it? all her family is here cant take them all and cant choose who to take so just stay here and eliminate that problem these gals got so many sideline money makers going on its a wonder how they manage to do it, i just listen to their conversation and if there is something i need to know the wife will tell me and if she dont then it dont concern me so i dont much care cuz i aint nosey
Father,
Help Us Father;
Let them come home soon.
Thank you Father.
Amen.

#53 dontron64

dontron64
  • 232 posts
  • ca

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

The one flip side on that issue, is you can't be too crass about it. Life is EXTREMELY cheap over there and people will kill you for little or no reason. My own ex-brother-in-law was murdered by his neighbors, who were father-and-son police officers after an argument during a drinking spree.

A rich uncle who lost his fortune but was 'connected' to the political power brokers and in a position to recover his wealth was murdered after a night out drinking and he had been receiving death threats. The perp grabbed ice out of his ice bucket earlier in the night before he died. In my opinion this was the perp because he wanted the guy to know who did it when he killed him. There was no other reason for the provocation of taking ice from my wife's uncle's bucket. Sadly he blew the incident off and continued to get wasted and then he was WASTED.

When I lived in the Philippines during the 80's I would go to Manila to visit family [the wives and kids of the dead brother-in-law who were in hiding due to death threats because the son had been put into prison but the father had escaped his just sentence] and I would read the newspapers and EVERY story was the same.. So and so was murdered after an argument broke out while the two men were drinking. Or killed during a robbery. I use to call the newspapers the comics because each story was so predictable.
Our time line:
-----------
1-1-10 Talked to her father on the phone queried about my intentions. Told him I intended to marry her.
4-27-11 Got Married
6-4-11 Discovered we needed to get an electronic endorsement of our marriage contract submitted
9-9-11 After a thorough review and obtaining additional docs, finally mailed our pkg to USCIS.
9-12-11 NOA1 recieved
4-4-12 Paid AOS fee
4-5-12 USPS'd AOS docs. NVC gave me permission to send in my wife's DS-230 docs without needing to pay for the IV fee first, due to the IV fee change next week and I'm under a tight time schedule.
4-23-12 paid IV fees
5-4-12 Requested an expedite from manila since I was in country through May - Approved.
5-18-12 Finally able to schedule our interview to fit into my in country travel.
5-28-12 Finally received her passport back in Surigao, worried it would pass us as we headed towards manila.
6-4-12 I had to return to the US, she had to take a later flight due to the uncertainty with her passport.
6-7-12 0020 Len arrives on one of the last incoming flights at Hobby Airport in Houston. HOME AT LAST!!!!

#54 dontron64

dontron64
  • 232 posts
  • ca

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

LOL here at home they dont speak tagalog, only in public, here its bisaya, we have mama, neices fem and lynn, nephew jhong living with us and we brought them all up years ago from laguindigan misamis orental mindinao our 2 boys live with their te down there as working students the wife daughter and i make 7 here i sold everything i had in usa with no intention of going back....ever....so the option of taking them there was no option at all no reason for it either the pi meets our every need so what would be the reason for it? all her family is here cant take them all and cant choose who to take so just stay here and eliminate that problem these gals got so many sideline money makers going on its a wonder how they manage to do it, i just listen to their conversation and if there is something i need to know the wife will tell me and if she dont then it dont concern me so i dont much care cuz i aint nosey

That's just too funny. :D

In the home antics , you're absolutely right.

My only point of contention with that is the self preservation issue outside. If you pick up enough of the language to be able to understand when folks are talking about you, it can help you know if you're in danger because the perps will not expect you to know what they are saying and might betray their intentions by stating their interest in you out loud, etc.
Our time line:
-----------
4-27-11 Got Married
9-12-11 NOA1 recieved
4-4-12 Paid AOS fee
4-23-12 paid IV fees

#55 makinaugalingon nasud

makinaugalingon nasud
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • em

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

That's just too funny. :D

In the home antics , you're absolutely right.

My only point of contention with that is the self preservation issue outside. If you pick up enough of the language to be able to understand when folks are talking about you, it can help you know if you're in danger because the perps will not expect you to know what they are saying and might betray their intentions by stating their interest in you out loud, etc.

yea for those who like to venture out alone you have a solid point....that leaves me out..ako malabo mata lol lalo bulag ta so the wife is like a master card...i never leave home without it or i would be like a helen keller doll..wind me up..let me go and i walk into walls..TG for the internet..background black letters white magnify x9

Edited by makinaugalingon nasud, 25 January 2012 - 09:03 PM.

Father,
Help Us Father;
Let them come home soon.
Thank you Father.
Amen.

#56 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:09 PM

Sorry..it popped into my mind to refresh this thread of mine coz two days ago i was asked by someone like this " Is it easy for any foreigners to learn your language (Tagalog,Bisaya)?" My answer that time was, "Yes,yes,maybe more difficult than learning chinese or japanese languages."Isn't???

Now i connect my own mind and i can say, "possibly if anyone has bilingual skill,it's not that hard." Am i wrong? I have observed in my country that many of the Filipino people living here( work etcc) find it hard to speak italian. Even just for 2 years of being here,they knew very few words and they don't even compose a phrase,this is why sometimes they are mistreated. :(

#57 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

I have been married over 20 years to my lovely wonderful wife and understand thousands of words but speak few of them, pronunciation is the problem for me but the nieces and nephews get a good laugh when I try. :(

Years ago I was working, so had very little time to learn, once I retired it became easier but the older a person gets, usually the harder it is to learn other languages. I learned because I like to know what is being said around me, so understanding is more important to me than speaking it.  I have found Tagalog harder for me to learn but I still know some common words because we had spent some time in Manila and on cruise ships where most of the OFW working on the ships seem to be Tagalog. 

My way was for when we are in the Philippines to have my wife talk to me mostly in her language, not sure if that would work for others but it helped me a lot.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#58 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,250 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:12 AM

Yes total immersion as the method is called is the best way to learn a new language.  If the other person is trying to learn a language you speak, use that language and make sure you don't understand anything they say until they try to communicate in the language they are learning :)  Proper grammar can come later, to start they just need a basic vocabulary and a willingness to sound like a small child learning to speak :)

For those who are able to work with a language learning system, Tagalog is well supported by several companies with good reputations and there are a lot of vocabulary sets for Bisaya.  The difficult part is conjugating verbs....trying to keep straight nag, mag, naka, maka etc. and how they are properly modified for each word, but that just requires practice, practice, practice.

The adventures continue

Fritz 

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#59 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

Thanks guy for commenting. :)

I do believe that if a person is being exposed with people who speak a country’s native language and hear nothing than that everyday, learning may comes gradually. Hearing the same words in everyday’s life can make a stranger at least understand. I think very few foreign people who can really speak bisaya and tagalong. Nevertheless, mostly children can learn rapidly the new found language.

#60 betabry

betabry
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:31 PM

I am trying to learn Tagalog before I go visit in april. I picked up an audiobook on Audible. My commute to work is just the right time for a lesson so it works out well. When I do travel I like to make an effort to learn enough of the local language to get by. I find that people are much friendlier and patient in communicating with me if I show an interest in trying to speak their language, even if i butcher it which usually makes for some laughs all around.

The smile I get each time I surprise her with a new word or phrase I learned is more than worth the time I put in to learn  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users