• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 poppa charlie

poppa charlie
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hi everybody!

I tried several times to join this site; I'm not sure what went wrong, but I would get an email that I had created an account, but I could never post anything.  So I just read the forum all the time, until recently I wanted to comment so badly on what someone had posted, that I tried again and it worked.

My situation is I'm living in the states and dating a Filipina who is working in Canada. I am begining to feel a little hopeless on this whole situation because my girl is dragging her feet; she wants to finish her contract there before I apply for her visa. That is two more years away, and I've been looking at the time lines that some of you post and I'm seing a minimum of 14 months on a visa being approved. So I think I am going to be waiting another three to four years at least, and we've been together for over a year already. Trips to Canada are very very expensive; last time I spent over two thousand and I was trying to budget. I never wanted a long distance relationship, and I'm starting to feel like the biggest obstacle stopping us from getting married and living happily ever after is her. When I try to talk to her about it she gets very upset and cries, so I don't bring it up any more. She just recently applied for a tourist visa to come to the states, and I have no idea what her chances of getting approved are, but it would be great if she could come here.

Well, that was a bit more of an introduction than I had planned, but I'm wondering if some of you ever felt hopeless? But I'm assuming your girl was working with you on being together, and that seems like it would make all the difference in the world... Do any of you have any words of advice or encouragement?

#2 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,843 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

Depending on what visa she has in Canada she may get Canadian Permanent Residence at or near the end of the contract, as PR @ 2 years is common in Canada. Once she has PR she can come and go into the U.S. at will, with no visa.

As for the expense of the trip, that depends on where each of you live. If you are both near the border it can be very inexpensive, but I get the sense that is not the case for the two of you.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#3 1PPCLI

1PPCLI
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:PSK-31, 80M DX
  • em

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

If you can find out what class she is, you should be able to get a sense of what the timeline is for getting her PR card, though the government closed certain classes to applications a few weeks back, which has cause some agnst among the OFW. (Have a neice, who mailed in her application earlier on the day it was announced, is now waiting to see if CIC will accept the application)

Ad for the US tourist visa, it should not be a problem. Most OFWs I know hsve not had a problem getting them, one visit and usually for shopping. Would think she should not volunteer to the interviewer she is going to see her boyfriend, as it may raise a flag.

Cheers

#4 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

Welcome to the forum poppa charlie. 

Sorry it apparently took a while until your account was approved. On this forum, new members join and then their accounts need to be manually approved by an administrator, that was the reason you could read and not post. I am now going to suggest to the admins that they change the sign up email to explain that.

I hope you get your situation worked out but one bright side to your situation is that Canada is a lot closer than the Philippines.  ;)

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#5 1PPCLI

1PPCLI
  • 420 posts
  • em

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, but it is a lot colder, too. 😀

#6 Martin D

Martin D
  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • em

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:28 AM

It's cold in Canada? Sheesh PPCLI, it's not cold outside...this week has been freakin insane!!

#7 1PPCLI

1PPCLI
  • 420 posts
  • em

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

Just a mild understatement, eh.

Coldest temp in the last week was -34.8 C on Thursday morning without the windchill. Saw -52 with the windchill in Brooks, though.

How was it up around Ft. Mac?

#8 poppa charlie

poppa charlie
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:49 AM

If you can find out what class she is, you should be able to get a sense of what the timeline is for getting her PR card, though the government closed certain classes to applications a few weeks back, which has cause some agnst among the OFW. (Have a neice, who mailed in her application earlier on the day it was announced, is now waiting to see if CIC will accept the application)

Ad for the US tourist visa, it should not be a problem. Most OFWs I know hsve not had a problem getting them, one visit and usually for shopping. Would think she should not volunteer to the interviewer she is going to see her boyfriend, as it may raise a flag.

Cheers

Okay one of her girlfriends also told her not to mention she was going to the states to see me (a boyfriend).  Why would this raise a flag?  

and thanks for all the hellos everyone...

#9 1PPCLI

1PPCLI
  • 420 posts
  • em

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Sorry in the delay, hopefully my wife will still be shopping before I finish typing.

The reason it will raise suspicion by the immigration officer is the chance she might not leave the US at the end of visa.

Looking at the situation, we have a young lady living/ working in a foreign country. A place which she has no roots, and her job, is not a skilled or well paying position. She is trying to gain entry to the US to see her boyfriend. So now the officer, is going to wonder, will she overstay her visa, try to work, etc.

Most Filipinas, who apply for a visa while in Canada under a LMO, usually go for shopping or visiting relations, not for courtship. If this was CBSA officer, the applicant would be sent to secondary for further venting, so I would assume the US officials would do likewise.

Cheers

#10 Martin D

Martin D
  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • em

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

Fort Mac has been the same as down there. -30's plus windchill.

#11 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,843 posts
  • lo

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

Okay one of her girlfriends also told her not to mention she was going to the states to see me (a boyfriend).  Why would this raise a flag?

Because if she ends up marrying you and the two of you filing an I-130 & 485 package for her to get her green card and stay it would look like she entered in order to do so, and the tourist visa is a temporary visa where the intention would be to return. Entering on a toursit visa with the intention of getting married and staying would be visa fraud, and USCIS is always on the lookout for such people.

So, 'shopping'?

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#12 1PPCLI

1PPCLI
  • 420 posts
  • em

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

While shopping would be a good reason, hopefully it will make sense. What I mean, if she is located in the Toronto area, saying she is going to Tulsa, Oklahoma to shop would be a stretch, since the US shopping destinations for folks there, would be PA, NY, MA, etc.

#13 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,843 posts
  • lo

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

While shopping would be a good reason, hopefully it will make sense. What I mean, if she is located in the Toronto area, saying she is going to Tulsa, Oklahoma to shop would be a stretch, since the US shopping destinations for folks there, would be PA, NY, MA, etc.

What are you talking about? Tulsa is great po-tat-o country, dontcha know?

#14 1PPCLI

1PPCLI
  • 420 posts
  • em

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

What are you talking about? Tulsa is great po-tat-o country, dontcha know?

Sorry, but Bud the Spud was from PEI. 

http://www.lyricsmod...d_the_spud.html

:rolleyes:

#15 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,843 posts
  • lo

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

Sorry, but Bud the Spud was from PEI. 
http://www.lyricsmod...d_the_spud.html
:rolleyes:

Reason enough to go to Tusla right thar!

#16 1PPCLI

1PPCLI
  • 420 posts
  • em

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

BTW Mark, did you get to Ann Arbor for the hockey on New Years?

#17 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,843 posts
  • lo

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

BTW Mark, did you get to Ann Arbor for the hockey on New Years?

We didn't really have the budget for it and Ann Arbor is a pretty long drive for us so we would have needed to get a hotel there. Cleo really wants to do some ice skating so I have on my 'to do' list to set up an outdoor ice rink in our back yard next year.

#18 1PPCLI

1PPCLI
  • 420 posts
  • em

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Hopefully it will be cold enough next year. Not an issue here, can find ponds, sloughs, lakes to skate. One of the local attractions (Spruce Meadows) does up three ponds, one with a couple of nets. Then there is always Lake Louise. 

#19 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,843 posts
  • lo

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

Were we live right now there aren't a lot of skating ponds nearby. Near my parent's house there is (plust the ditches were really good). We moved recently and have a decent-sized back yard. A decent size skating rink would fit real nice, and they have kits these days, you just need to buy wood (and some minor hardware) for the side boards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users