Jump to content


Green card holder

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 menchie

  • Members
  • 180 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:49 AM

Hello Wof family,

I tried to look for a topic of green card holder visiting Philippines for 1 month. I already have plane ticket. But now , Im worried. I should have asked here first about my concern before buying plane tickets. I am traveling with my Three children, they are all using us passport except me. I am still a green card holder and I am using my Philippine passport. Im using unmarried name On my passport. I will be staying 1 month in the philippines. My flight will be in December 2017 and come back to US in January 2018.

Do I need re entry permit? I dont know the new immigration law now. If I dont need re entry permit, what documents should I bring with me aside from my green card. My greencard will expire 2019.

If I do need re entry permit, where could I get it and how long to get it? I only have 24 days before my flight. Please help me. I am worried now. Thank you.

#2 Fritz


    Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

  • Root Admin
  • 3,261 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spokane WA USA / Argao Cebu RP
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

You do not need a reentry permit for a trip of less than 1 year.

If you plan to be out of the US for 6 months but less than 2 years, then get a Travel Permit (I-131) Allow 60 days for processing and delivery. This document allows you to retain accumulated residence time for naturalization on trips less than 1 year and extends the limit on absence from US to 1 day short of 2 years. For absences of less than 6 months, you retain all accumulated residence time towards naturalization with just your green card. The time limit without a Travel Permit is 1 day less than 1 year. Avoid being absent for 1 year or more without the Travel Permit and 2 years or more with the Travel Permit. Overstaying these limits will cancel your green card and require a new I-130 or an SB-1 Returning Resident visa (the SB-1 causes problems for USCIS though, so try not to need this visa :) )

Skip the Travel Permit this trip. Since you will be leaving in about 3 weeks, you may not get the permit before you leave. For a stay of one month it is unnecessary anyway :) The Travel Permit must be applied for while in US and is delivered to a US address. If you have already left US when it is delivered, you can have someone send it to you overseas. Again this is needed only for absences longer than 6 months.

Take birth certificates for the children as proof of relationship. As children of a Filipino citizen/former citizen, they qualify for Balikbayan Privilege (1 year visa and other benefits) when traveling with you. Your husband also qualifies for this privilege when you are accompanying him. A copy of your marriage certificate will document his relationship. For a stay of 30 days or less, this is optional as he initial visitor visa issued at the airport is good for 30 days including arrival and departure days.

Take birth certificates for your children and marriage license. These allow your husband and children to avail Balikbayan Privilege when traveling together with you.
Your green card is your reentry permit for trips under 6 months. It will allow you to return to US on this short trip.
Your marriage license will also document the difference in name between your US ID and your Philippine passport.
When returning to US, stop at the TIEZA booth in the airport or a TIEZA office to get a Certificate of Exemption from Travel Tax (P200 document fee). Your green card qualifies you for this exemption.

Relax and enjoy your time with family

The adventures continue

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#3 menchie

  • Members
  • 180 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:46 AM

Thank you so much sir Fritz. I will follow your advice. God bless and more power...

#4 Doug

  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Out of KSA
  • Visa type:IR-1

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:33 AM

What Fritz said. Last year, my wife and I made an emergency trip back for about a month. She had only had her green card for about 70 days. We had no problems.


Out of the sandbox.

Keepers of the Light. Healers of the Night. http://www.oh-1dmat.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users