5 replies to this topic

#1 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,668 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • em

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

In relation to sending money to family in PI, how much would a Filipino family would spend monthly? Let me say, a family with no more small kids to raise and no school expenses. Just, electric bill to pay, weekly food consumption  and other small extra expenses for clothing or medicines. Just for two old persons.

What about for those who come in PI for a retirement ?

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#2 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

What about for those who come in PI for a retirement ?

That is a very hard question to answer without knowing the lifestyle you wish to have. My wife and I used to spend $1000 a month including eating out a lot but we own our own condo, so others might have to add rent to that, but nowadays 5 or so years later it cost us more than $1500 a month and we eat out much less often. Electric is one of the big bills for us, I have to use the A/C so our bills can run a p12,000 or even more on hot months, for that alone. Food can be inexpensive if a person eats mostly rice but if they wish to eat western type foods then I have found that food here cost as much as back in the US, yet I am told it is less expensive here than most of Europe. 

Anyway there is no one size fits all but I would say that the only way to know what size fits you is to stay here a few months and live the lifestyle you wish to, to see what items you have to have and what items you can do without. I have read of guys in the Philippines living on $600 a month living more or less as a local might and I have heard of guys who say they could not live on less than $3500 a month. For us I feel $2000 a month would be a comfortable figure where we would not have to give up anything and then on top of that would be the cost of rent for others since we own. 

Everyone's mileage may vary. I wish I could give a more direct answer but we all are different and therefore have different wants and needs.

As for how much locals would need to live, the same answer, it all depends on have to have and want to have. 

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#3 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,250 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

For rent P3000 to P5000 a month will rent a small house in the province. In the city, figure P12000 to P24000 a month to rent a townhouse. Slum apartments can be found for as little as P1000 a month, but that is NOT recommended.

Food will vary, but if you shop carefully and avoid imports, you can eat well on P1500 a week. If you add in luxury items, it is easy to reach P3000+ a week.

Cost of medicines depends entirely on the health of the couple and how often they choose to visit their doctors. Health care is extremely low cost compared to private pay in North America or Europe. If you can enroll in a medical insurance that will pay health expenses in Philippines, then that is something to consider as it will stabilize expenses. Otherwise open a savings account with a Philippine bank and put a regular budget payment in that account to pay for medical expenses as they occur. This is one that will have to be watched to see what your actual expenses are and adjust the "insurance" payments accordingly.

Clothing varies greatly in price. If you are willing to dress like an ordinary Filipino, then clothing costs are fairly low. You can find fancy clothes with prices that would be considered high in Milano or Paris, you just need to check the big malls :)

Retirement visas with a pension requirement ask for US$1000 to US$1500 per month pension. So it seems that BI believes that amount is what a couple should have as a minimum income.

Plan on a few trips home to look around and see what prices look like in the area you are planning on settling in. Clothing prices, foods that you would be buying, check with the hospitals to get an idea of rates... All of these are extremely variable and will depend on your comfort level and needs.

The adventure continues
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#4 saccharine

saccharine
  • 354 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:San Jose CA

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

For 2 old people you said? Il make an example of my parents who are living in a small city in Mindanao and shall I say have a simple style of living. Their monthly expenses cost around 7,000pesos- 10,000 pesos. Own the house so no rent to pay, just utilities such as electricity ( usage on tv, cd/dvd player, washing machine, refrigerator, electric fan, lights, electric iron)  and water, just mimimum rate and oh i forgot the landline phone ( maybe 300 pesos per month) . Plus food , certainly some medicines, clothing ( once in a awhile, hehehehe they hardly go anywhere and only will buy if necessary or for some special occasion ) , cellphone load and some extras.

#5 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

You..two handsome men in Wof (Mr. Lee and gentle Fritz) are great help.

I got more or less theidea of the possible expenses and budget for foreign people needs.

Thanks guys :)

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#6 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

For 2 old people you said? Il make an example of my parents who are living in a small city in Mindanao and shall I say have a simple style of living. Their monthly expenses cost around 7,000pesos- 10,000 pesos. Own the house so no rent to pay, just utilities such as electricity ( usage on tv, cd/dvd player, washing machine, refrigerator, electric fan, lights, electric iron)  and water, just mimimum rate and oh i forgot the landline phone ( maybe 300 pesos per month) . Plus food , certainly some medicines, clothing ( once in a awhile, hehehehe they hardly go anywhere and only will buy if necessary or for some special occasion ) , cellphone load and some extras.

Yes my saccharine...for 2 old people.

And you got what i mean to say.....you gave me better view for the monthly cost base on pinoy simple style of living. Now i can can make some life's changement too haha.

Thanks for posting. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users