#21 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,243 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (bethany @ Mar 29 2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I live in the states of Wyoming,we tried to just walk-in to our court house and ask for an adoption forms,but the clerk said,they don't have it,she said that we need to hired a lawyer to do the process.

I just want to ask if you ever hired a lawyer in your adoption process?

Childwelfare.gov is a US Federal agency that has information regarding many different aspects of child welfare law and procedures. The link here goes directly to their adoption page. This is a site you will be likely referring to often smile.gif Definitely start here to find info on adoption and check into their "by state" references for more info on Wyoming law and procedures.

Adoption.com is an adoption information service that has an adoption specific help forum. They say on their website that the do not deal with adoptions directly, they are an information resource for those thinking about adoption or going through the process. They appear to be US focused. Each state has it's own unique set of adoption rules in addition to the Federal laws governing adoptions.

Note that this site does sell adoption related products, so treat them as a "for profit" source that gives you the basics free, while selling items that make life easier.

If you end up going to a lawyer, start with the state adoption agency for a list of lawyers that they have found acceptable. The quality will depend on what the requirements are for getting onto the list, but at least they will all be familiar with local adoption law smile.gif

May not be the answer to your question, but this will give you a start on understanding the process.

God Bless
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#22 Ampalaya

Ampalaya

Latest creation!

• 4,744 posts
  • Interests:Staying VERTICAL!!
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ca
  • Local Office:Honolulu.

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE (bethany @ Mar 29 2010, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I live in the states of Wyoming,we tried to just walk-in to our court house and ask for an adoption forms,but the clerk said,they don't have it,she said that we need to hired a lawyer to do the process.

I hired a lawyer as I was burned out on dealing with the government. He was GREAT.
Denied K1, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption and US Citizenship. Dual citizenship.
All PAU!
Been there! Did it all!

#23 denterprise

denterprise
  • Moderators
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:Basketball, tennis, traveling
  • te
  • Local Office:Orlando

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (bethany @ Mar 29 2010, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I did not hire a lawyer because the legal forms were provided by the court and was simple to fill out. Every thing was spelled out what needed to be done. Check with your state government and see if they provide forms to fill our and sign.
God is Good all the time

Dave

#24 bethany

bethany
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca
  • Local Office:Casper Wy

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE (Fritz @ Mar 30 2010, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childwelfare.gov is a US Federal agency that has information regarding many different aspects of child welfare law and procedures. The link here goes directly to their adoption page. This is a site you will be likely referring to often smile.gif Definitely start here to find info on adoption and check into their "by state" references for more info on Wyoming law and procedures.

Adoption.com is an adoption information service that has an adoption specific help forum. They say on their website that the do not deal with adoptions directly, they are an information resource for those thinking about adoption or going through the process. They appear to be US focused. Each state has it's own unique set of adoption rules in addition to the Federal laws governing adoptions.

Note that this site does sell adoption related products, so treat them as a "for profit" source that gives you the basics free, while selling items that make life easier.

If you end up going to a lawyer, start with the state adoption agency for a list of lawyers that they have found acceptable. The quality will depend on what the requirements are for getting onto the list, but at least they will all be familiar with local adoption law smile.gif

May not be the answer to your question, but this will give you a start on understanding the process.

God Bless
Fritz

Thanks Fritz for giving me the links,it will help me a lot! Thanks to everybody who gave their precious time to answered my questions.

#25 IamAGeek

IamAGeek

I am here to chill!

• 1,368 posts
  • Interests:Blogging
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • lo
  • Local Office:Orlando,FL

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:52 AM

Good to know this. We live in FL too, and will be doing the same adoption process soon. We are just procratinating because the Clerk Of Court is an hour away from our residence.

QUOTE (denterprise @ Mar 28 2010, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know what state you live in but here in Florida the process is not difficult at all. The clerk at the court will give you a stack of simple forms to fill out and bring back. Once you bring them back and you claim abandonment they will give you the names of news papers you can post the legal notice for 30 days. Once the thirty days are over you will receive a letter from the news paper saying your notice ran for 30 days. You bring the notice back to the court and then wait for a court hearing and you are done.

It is a very pleasant experience. We celebrate the adoption of my daughter with the birth of our son. The judge told me once the adoption goes through I will be responsible for her until she is of legal age. The biological father had no rights or responsibilities and I along with the mother will be totally responsible for her. She then said, with a smile, do you still want to go through with the adoption and I said yes I do!. Then it was over in just 10 minutes. Be careful some lawyers will try and make things out to be more difficult than they need to be. Hopefully you live in a family friendly state like florida where you can process your own papers.

My blog site, A Laid Back Life In Ormond Beach (hosted by iPage).

#26 denterprise

denterprise
  • Moderators
  • 2,962 posts
  • te

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (IamAGeek @ Apr 4 2010, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to know this. We live in FL too, and will be doing the same adoption process soon. We are just procratinating because the Clerk Of Court is an hour away from our residence.

I have heard you can now download those forms. Call your clerk, if it is on line they can give you the web site to down load it. I don't know what the current cost is now to file, because just about all state fees went up since last September.
God is Good all the time

Dave

#27 IamAGeek

IamAGeek

I am here to chill!

• 1,368 posts
  • Interests:Blogging
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • lo
  • Local Office:Orlando,FL

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

Yes, I saw some files online, but I do not know what consist of a complete packet. I need a checklist to do it correctly. Can you tell me what forms you submitted? You can PM me. Last time I checked, Q4 of 2009, the whole application cost was US$300.00, payable upon getting the forms from their office. I intend not to get a lawyer. It should be fine.

QUOTE (denterprise @ Apr 4 2010, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have heard you can now download those forms. Call your clerk, if it is on line they can give you the web site to down load it. I don't know what the current cost is now to file, because just about all state fees went up since last September.

My blog site, A Laid Back Life In Ormond Beach (hosted by iPage).

#28 Ampalaya

Ampalaya

Latest creation!

• 4,744 posts
  • ca

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

Cost me $161 in filing fees. No doubt this varies county by county and state by state.
Denied K1, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption and US Citizenship. Dual citizenship.
All PAU!
Been there! Did it all!

#29 Ampalaya

Ampalaya

Latest creation!

• 4,744 posts
  • ca

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

Cost me $161 in filing fees. No doubt this varies county by county and state by state.
All PAU!
Been there! Did it all!

#30 bethany

bethany
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • ca

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

Hello everyone here I am again!

So,we did the adoption and it was approved by the local court,our lawyer said that we are going to received a new birth certificate after 8 months.....We wait until actually almost a year now,we did not heard anything,until this morning we decided to walk-in to the lawyers office and the secretary said that they couldn't get a new birth certificate because the Philippines won't let them unless my husband who's the petitioner appear in the local registrar in the Philippines in person.

I thought I could just get a new local BC here in the US?...Please help.

#31 felixDcat

felixDcat
  • 510 posts
  • lo

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:30 PM

So,we did the adoption and it was approved by the local court,our lawyer said that we are going to received a new birth certificate after 8 months.....We wait until actually almost a year now,we did not heard anything,until this morning we decided to walk-in to the lawyers office and the secretary said that they couldn't get a new birth certificate because the Philippines won't let them unless my husband who's the petitioner appear in the local registrar in the Philippines in person.

That is odd! We did not hire a lawyer but everything went well and fast! As far as I can remember, before we actually received the final decree of adoption there was a form that we filled up requesting for a name change and also for the delayed registration of foreign birth (new US birth certificate). There was a minimal fee, but everything went well. Try to contact your county clerk on the procedure on having your child registered after being adopted. I don't think they need consent from the Philippine registrar since the adoption was done in US.

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. ~Rita Rudner"

#32 denterprise

denterprise
  • Moderators
  • 2,962 posts
  • te

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:40 AM

Once the adoption was approved, it was a done deal. I am going to assume you do have a final adoption decree from the courts. The only thing left was to get the new birth certificate, which should not have taken eight months to receive. You don't need your lawyer to get the birth certificate, as mentioned contact your county clerk on the procedure on having your child registered after being adopted. You can also contact your vital statistics office to see what needs to be done to get the birth certificate.

If your lawyer tells you in a few weeks he can take care of this matter, so you can avoid going to the PI you will know you hired a bad lawyer that is trying to get more money out of you. If you do have the final adoption decree which you should have gotten on your own, file for the birth certificate yourself. Unless something has drastically changed, the Philippines don't have anything to do with this matter.
God is Good all the time

Dave

#33 bethany

bethany
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • ca

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

Once the adoption was approved, it was a done deal. I am going to assume you do have a final adoption decree from the courts. The only thing left was to get the new birth certificate, which should not have taken eight months to receive. You don't need your lawyer to get the birth certificate, as mentioned contact your county clerk on the procedure on having your child registered after being adopted. You can also contact your vital statistics office to see what needs to be done to get the birth certificate.

If your lawyer tells you in a few weeks he can take care of this matter, so you can avoid going to the PI you will know you hired a bad lawyer that is trying to get more money out of you. If you do have the final adoption decree which you should have gotten on your own, file for the birth certificate yourself. Unless something has drastically changed, the Philippines don't have anything to do with this matter.

Well,clearly we get the worst lawyer in town....he have no clue what so ever...Gosh its irritating...but thanks to all of you guys who are here to support people who's in need like me....appreciate it very much! :)

#34 bethany

bethany
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • ca

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

That is odd! We did not hire a lawyer but everything went well and fast! As far as I can remember, before we actually received the final decree of adoption there was a form that we filled up requesting for a name change and also for the delayed registration of foreign birth (new US birth certificate). There was a minimal fee, but everything went well. Try to contact your county clerk on the procedure on having your child registered after being adopted. I don't think they need consent from the Philippine registrar since the adoption was done in US.

Well yeah its odd because my lawyer is clueless! :angry: ,I will try contacting our county clerk...thanks for the info...:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users