Photo

Adoption

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,127 posts
  • Location:Home is where the heart is and my heart is with my wife.
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ca
  • Local Office:Denver

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:32 PM

So my wife is well on her way to citizenship. Just waiting for the interview now. While we are waiting, I figured I would start researching what needs to be done to adopt her son as mine. I understand that it's easier to do once he becomes a US Citizen. He will obtain that once my wife becomes a citizen.

What else is needed? I'm sure I'll have to file some paperwork with the courts, probably get a lawyer and such. What kind of lawyer? Any 'ol adoption lawyer or see if I can find one that specializes in "foreign" adoptions?

Anyone know how much I should be expecting for this? Or how long such a process would take?

Any insights are appreciated.

Steve

Love is a decision... an act of will. ~Fr John Corapi.
The Will of God will never take you to a place where the Grace of God does not protect you. ~unkown
Posted Image + Posted Image = Posted Image
Timelines
Facebook Page

#2 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,235 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:41 AM

Adoption law is state specific.

U.S. Department of Health & Human Services->Administration for Children & Families->Children's Bureau->Child Welfare Information Gateway
In some states the process can be simple and forms and instructions are available, some states an attorney is required.  Choose the State Resources tab for state specific laws and guides.

Another resource
National Adoption Center

God Bless
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#3 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,767 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:59 AM

So my wife is well on her way to citizenship. Just waiting for the interview now. While we are waiting, I figured I would start researching what needs to be done to adopt her son as mine. I understand that it's easier to do once he becomes a US Citizen. He will obtain that once my wife becomes a citizen.

What else is needed? I'm sure I'll have to file some paperwork with the courts, probably get a lawyer and such. What kind of lawyer? Any 'ol adoption lawyer or see if I can find one that specializes in "foreign" adoptions?

Anyone know how much I should be expecting for this? Or how long such a process would take?

Any insights are appreciated.

Steve

Stepchild adoptions are the most common in the U.S. (and probably in other Western countries as well).  Some countries, Afghanistan, for example, do not have legal adoptions, FWIW.

Having said that, Bruce is correct in that the requirements vary in difficulty, by State.  I suspect that there are no regulations against doing your own paperwork, but without court experience and ability to weather court judge requirements, attorney assistance is recommended.

I used to work for California's adoption agency (State level) and we routinely received requests for information or help on parents doing their own adoption paperwork.  After studying the requirements (Home Studies, relationship of legal staff with local judge, Relinquishment of Parent Rights, etc.), we routinely advised parents to hire a recommended attorney to handle this.  It is "bread and butter" attorney work and averages $3,000 to $5,000, plus government or agency fees.

--Ray B

Edited by Mr. Lee, 11 November 2017 - 09:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users