Photo

Ear Piercing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,128 posts
  • Location:Home is where the heart is and my heart is with my wife.
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ca
  • Local Office:Denver

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

My asawa wants to have our daughters ears pierced. I'm against it. I just don't like the idea of causing my daughter pain. It broke my heart to see her react when she got her immunizations. My asawa says she won't remember the pain like she would if she is older. I say that when she is older she can make up her own mind about it and it won't be something that mom and dad "forced" on their child. Hope that makes sense.

Am I making this a bigger deal that it really is? How many others (if any) feel as I do and don't want to get their daughters ears pierced?

Smitty
Love is a decision... an act of will. ~Fr John Corapi.
The Will of God will never take you to a place where the Grace of God does not protect you. ~unkown
Posted Image + Posted Image = Posted Image
Timelines
Facebook Page

#2 Parx

Parx
  • 291 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ne

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:49 AM

I remember reading once that it is not a good idea to pierce a baby's ears because the ears are so small and undeveloped that what may be a perfectly positioned/centered pierce on a baby's earlobe will become off-centered as the baby grows older and the ear grows.

My asawa wants to have our daughters ears pierced. I'm against it. I just don't like the idea of causing my daughter pain. It broke my heart to see her react when she got her immunizations. My asawa says she won't remember the pain like she would if she is older. I say that when she is older she can make up her own mind about it and it won't be something that mom and dad "forced" on their child. Hope that makes sense.

Am I making this a bigger deal that it really is? How many others (if any) feel as I do and don't want to get their daughters ears pierced?

Smitty

July 7, 2004 - Met Aimee in a chatroom
Dec. 25, 2005 - Went to Phils to meet her the first time
January 7, 2006 - Mailed I-129F to Nebraska Service Center.
January 27, 2006 - Received NOA1.
April 18, 2006 @1859 cst - NOA2 - APPROVED!
July 15, 2006 - Packet 4 received
September1, 2006 - Medical
September 8, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!
October 15, 2006 - Arrived in USA
November 4, 2006 --- WEDDING!!!
April 20, 2007 - Mailed AOS
May 18, 2007 - Biometrics
July 26, 2007---GREEN CARD!(no interview)
April 13, 2009 - Mailed I-751 for Removal of Conditions
May 5, 2009 - NOA (extension approved)
May 18, 2009 - Biometrics appointment arrived today-scheduled for May 29, 2009
August 13, 2009 - Approval for removal of conditions (originally delayed due to RFE)
August 20, 2009 - 10 year green card arrived in mail
June 9, 2010 - Treygan Isaiah is born
June, 21, 2010 - My adoption of Nathan is finalized

View Our Montage
My Blog: Lifes-Recollections
Visit my wife's blog: Girl Talk

Don (Iowa-USA) Aimee (Visayas-Philippines)

#3 tipmart87

tipmart87
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Climbing Badminton Hiking Scuba My wife
  • ca
  • Local Office:san francisco

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:50 AM

Smitty

Would'nt let it happen, simple as that
Visit Arizona this summer for a great Vacation ----Arizona-----

BAD COMPANY

#4 FlyBy

FlyBy

The rise of club music, the fall of apartheid - coincidence?

• 1,301 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Dumaguete

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:40 AM

In the mexican tradition, baby girls ears being pierced b4 their 3month bday is common.

Posted Image
Old magicians don't die, they just disappear.

#5 Katherine Pierce

Katherine Pierce
  • 939 posts
  • te

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:31 AM

Smitty

If you had a baby boy, would you have him circumcised while still a baby? If you'd rather do that, then it should be easier for you to have your baby girl's ear pierced.
The whole part of being civilized is being able to control one's emotions when someone says something that they dont like.

#6 CuteBabes

CuteBabes
  • 963 posts
  • lo
  • Local Office:None

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

My daughter is four-month-old now and she had her ear pierced when she was three-month-old. My husband and I both agreed to have it done now that she wont have to remember the pain. Goodluck on yours!
K1 VISA TIMELINE
NOA1----------------------8/22/05
NOA2---------------------11/28/05
NVC-----------------------12/8/05
Med------------------------4/18/06
Intv------------------------4/25/06 (Approved)
Flown to Fresno CA------5/18/06
Birthday/got married---- 7/17/06
---------------------------------
ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS TIMELINE
Mailed Application I-485-------8/29/06
Received NOA1------------------9/6/06
Received NOA2------------------9/15/06
Case transferred to CSC--------9/15/06
Biometric Schedule -------------9/23/06
Received Welcome Notice -----10/19/06
Received Green Card------------10/23/06 (without interview)
------------------------------------
PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS ON RESIDENCE
2-year GC Expired---------------------------------------10/13/08
Mailed Application I-751--------------------------------7/12/08
Received NOA1 -GC extended for 1-year-------7/14/08
Received NOA2 -ASC Appointment Notice----7/17/08
Biometric Schedule--------------------------------------8/1/08
Case Approved-------------------------------------------11/6/08
Received 10-year GC---------------------------11/14/08 (without interview)
-------------------------------------
NATURALIZATION
N400 Application----------------------4/22/11
Received NOA1-------------------------4/25/11
Biometric Appointment-----------------6/10/11
Interview Appointment-----------------7/19/11
Oathtaking Ceremony-------------------8/26/11

#7 zzzlpr

zzzlpr
  • 3,843 posts
  • ve

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

The question is "why do you want them pierced now?"

Some cultures, including mine, has it that girls needs to use ear rings "as soon as possible", just to show that she is a girl.
I say, put her in a nice dress and that's enough. :)

We decided to let my daughters decide if they want it or not when they get older.
My 14 years old has changed her mind half dozen times, but has not done it yet, the other one is too young to care.

Peace,

Carlos.
"A man does not know how alive he can be until a sweet Pinay steals his heart."
my point of view

11/08/2007 - Annulment Process Started
08/21/2008 - Annulment Granted
09/05/2008 - Annulment Court Order Issued
09/10/2008 - Mailed I-129F
09/11/2008 - Arrived at VSC
09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued
01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued
02/07/2009 - Manila Case Number Letter Received from NVC
02/15/2009 - Interview Scheduled for March, 23rd 2009
03/02/2009 - Passed Medical
03/23/2009 - Interview, all went well but NBI Clearance on her Married Name was missing
03/25/2009 - Delivered NBI Clearance to US Embassy
04/17/2009 - Visa on hand
04/24/2009 - CFO done
05/13/2009 - Arrived in US
06/01/2009 - Applied for SSN
06/02/2009 - Pending Immunizations done
06/05/2009 - Received SSN
06/22/2009 - Got Married "downtown" style
06/27/2009 - Requested sealed envelop with immunization form from Civil Dr.
07/03/2009 - Received sealed envelop from Dr.
07/14/2009 - Mailed the AOS
07/16/2009 - AOS arrived USCIS
07/20/2009 - AOS NOA1 Issued
08/21/2009 - Biometrics at local USCIS Office
09/10/2009 - Received EAD cards
11/17/2009 - AOS interview. Given a favorable decision.
11/27/2009 - Received the GC
10/07/2011 - Mailed the ROC
10/11/2011 - Arrived at VSC
10/18/2011 - ROC NOA Received (contains the 1 year extension)
11/14/2011 - Received ROC Biometrics Appointment Notification
12/09/2011 - ROC Biometrics
07/19/2012 - ROC Approved letter(no interview, even though I forgot to send a copy of the GC)
07/25/2012 - 10 year GC Arrived

#8 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,128 posts
  • Location:Home is where the heart is and my heart is with my wife.
  • ca
  • Local Office:Denver

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

I remember reading once that it is not a good idea to pierce a baby's ears because the ears are so small and undeveloped that what may be a perfectly positioned/centered pierce on a baby's earlobe will become off-centered as the baby grows older and the ear grows.

Hadn't heard that yet but makes sense. I'll pass that on to my asawa. Thanks.

In the mexican tradition, baby girls ears being pierced b4 their 3month bday is common.

Posted Image

Well neither of us are Mexican, however my asawa has hinted about it being some sort of a tradition in the Philippines.

If you had a baby boy, would you have him circumcised while still a baby? If you'd rather do that, then it should be easier for you to have your baby girl's ear pierced.

Very good point. Hadn't thought of it that way. Yes. If we had a boy he most likely would have been circumcised at birth. With that said, I'm still not sold on the ear piercing. I guess I see circumcision as more of a health factor than "optional" as is ear piercing. In fact, having one's ears pierced can cause health issues. Also, when they circumcise, don't they use (normally) an anaesthetic? If so, then the baby wouldn't feel it being done.

My daughter is four-month-old now and she had her ear pierced when she was three-month-old. My husband and I both agreed to have it done now that she wont have to remember the pain. Goodluck on yours!

That's my asawa's main reason. She may not remember the pain, but she sure as heck will feel it.

The question is "why do you want them pierced now?"

Some cultures, including mine, has it that girls needs to use ear rings "as soon as possible", just to show that she is a girl.
I say, put her in a nice dress and that's enough. :)

We decided to let my daughters decide if they want it or not when they get older.
My 14 years old has changed her mind half dozen times, but has not done it yet, the other one is too young to care.

Peace,

Carlos.

See above in my original post and responses regarding my asawas reasoning. I agree with you, let her (baby) decide when she is old enough.

Right now though, we are working on her Baptism. Shouldn't have to worry too much about ear piercing right now. :)
Love is a decision... an act of will. ~Fr John Corapi.
The Will of God will never take you to a place where the Grace of God does not protect you. ~unkown
Posted Image + Posted Image = Posted Image
Timelines
Facebook Page

#9 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

It's a tradition in the Philippines. I don't understand how little babies can be comfortable with adult-sized earrings stuck in their ears. I am always hurt by the backs of the earrings poking into my head as I am sleeping. How can a baby be comfortable like that? I think little girls should be in their teens before they start to be conscious about looking beautiful.. children should be allowed to be children first. I had to wait until I was 12 to get my ears pierced of my own choice. It seemed like a long wait at the time :D It didn't hurt as I remember, just burned a little bit. I know it is cultural but I see it as vanity on the parents part - after all, should a baby care how she looks?

However this is all coming from my Canadian culture... for them, it's no big deal and it's what they do.. I don't suppose it does any major damage in the long run.

#10 carl

carl
  • 377 posts
  • ve
  • Local Office:Portland, Maine

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

My little princess will not be getting her ears pierced or anything else pierced if I have anything to say about it.....

#11 CuteBabes

CuteBabes
  • 963 posts
  • lo
  • Local Office:None

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

[quote name='SeeSea' timestamp='1304756059' post='276668']
It's a tradition in the Philippines. I don't understand how little babies can be comfortable with adult-sized earrings stuck in their ears. I am always hurt by the backs of the earrings poking into my head as I am sleeping. How can a baby be comfortable like that?

Correction, my daughter is wearing a very tiny earrings right now that really fits on her tiny both ears. As a baby I dont think she can differentiate of how being comfortable and uncomfortable same as a grown-up adult. When you were a baby have you remember how you were as a child?
K1 VISA TIMELINE
NOA1----------------------8/22/05
NOA2---------------------11/28/05
NVC-----------------------12/8/05
Med------------------------4/18/06
Intv------------------------4/25/06 (Approved)
Flown to Fresno CA------5/18/06
Birthday/got married---- 7/17/06
---------------------------------
ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS TIMELINE
Mailed Application I-485-------8/29/06
Received NOA1------------------9/6/06
Received NOA2------------------9/15/06
Case transferred to CSC--------9/15/06
Biometric Schedule -------------9/23/06
Received Welcome Notice -----10/19/06
Received Green Card------------10/23/06 (without interview)
------------------------------------
PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS ON RESIDENCE
2-year GC Expired---------------------------------------10/13/08
Mailed Application I-751--------------------------------7/12/08
Received NOA1 -GC extended for 1-year-------7/14/08
Received NOA2 -ASC Appointment Notice----7/17/08
Biometric Schedule--------------------------------------8/1/08
Case Approved-------------------------------------------11/6/08
Received 10-year GC---------------------------11/14/08 (without interview)
-------------------------------------
NATURALIZATION
N400 Application----------------------4/22/11
Received NOA1-------------------------4/25/11
Biometric Appointment-----------------6/10/11
Interview Appointment-----------------7/19/11
Oathtaking Ceremony-------------------8/26/11

#12 asianstreak

asianstreak
  • Banned
  • 6,039 posts
  • Interests:too many to mentions
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

I have 2 daughters and 1 boy.My daughter was pierced when she was 4 months old and there are times it bleeds when she scratch her ears it took long to heal.So on my youngest daughter I did not pierced her ears bec,I dont want to see her ears bleed and she has sensitive skin so I waited until she grow up but then WHEN she was growing up it took me long time to convince her ,infact everytime I come home from middle east I brought gold earrings for my 2 daughters but she dont like the idea she is scared from the pain.My eldest daughter always loose the pair of her earring I can't count how many pair she had since she was pierced and all of those earrings are real gold.So my youngest daughter alliby is its just a waste of money if she keep loosing them just like her big sis.Now she will turned 14 and last week she told me she had pierced her ear.And I asked did it hurt ? she said NO!!

I brought my son to the doctor for circumciation until he was 7years old.

#13 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

I have 2 daughters and 1 boy.My daughter was pierced when she was 4 months old and there are times it bleeds when she scratch her ears it took long to heal.So on my youngest daughter I did not pierced her ears bec,I dont want to see her ears bleed

Can i join here just to relate my mom's experience...

Mom was pierced at very young age and that was really happened as what you stated Shone...for ear piercing and scratching ,her ears are getting sensitive. When i asked her to pierce my ears at the age of 7 she was scared and i said stay tranquil mom i try not to scratch my ears i'm no more a baby :D

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users