Photo

Which Filipino habits are you adjusting and adapting?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,677 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • em

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

So I suppose being called Maam is nothing to do with your age and everything to do with your position in life Posted Image
On my first trip 4 years ago they were calling me Miss Posted Image

So would you like to be called Miss maam? :lol:

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#22 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

So I suppose being called Maam is nothing to do with your age and everything to do with your position in life Posted Image
On my first trip 4 years ago they were calling me Miss Posted Image

From what I understand Ma'am/Sir is a substitute for 'po', which is what is appended to almost every sentence/expression in Tagalog (and many of the other Philippine languages) when talking to someone that is either older or has a title (such as Doctor, Architect, Engineer, Attorney). The 'po' comes very naturally as part of speech, so it is natural for Filipinos to substitute Ma'am/Sir. It can either come across as very polite or very condescending, depending on the nature of the listener. The truth is that it is really neither (very polite nor condescending), it is just the proper way of speaking for those that grew up in the culture.

The Miss from before probably meant they thought you younger than them. Which I will abstain from commenting on ;)

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#23 saccharine

saccharine
  • 354 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:San Jose CA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

From what I understand, we use sir , ma'am (short for madame, married woman), and miss (for unmarried woman) to signify a combination of politeness and respect to someone that is older , someone with higher position at work ( e.g. the boss) , or to someone whom one thinks is very respectable. "Po" are use by the tagalog region ( e.g. manila) to denote respect to someone older, however bisayans dont have "po" ,so we use a lot of words such as:

Ate, Manang - for older sister, older female cousins or older woman in general
Kuya, Manong - for older brother,older male cousins or older men in general
Tiyo, Tito, Uncle "cle" - for uncle or older men in general even if not related
Tiya, Tita - for aunt, close older female friend

These words are often use accompanied by the person's first name such as Kuya Mark. Tito Hawk, or Ate Melody.

#24 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:11 AM

From what I understand, we use sir , ma'am (short for madame, married woman), and miss (for unmarried woman) to signify a combination of politeness and respect to someone that is older , someone with higher position at work ( e.g. the boss) , or to someone whom one thinks is very respectable. "Po" are use by the tagalog region ( e.g. manila) to denote respect to someone older, however bisayans dont have "po" ,so we use a lot of words such as:

Ate, Manang - for older sister, older female cousins or older woman in general
Kuya, Manong - for older brother,older male cousins or older men in general
Tiyo, Tito, Uncle "cle" - for uncle or older men in general even if not related
Tiya, Tita - for aunt, close older female friend

These words are often use accompanied by the person's first name such as Kuya Mark. Tito Hawk, or Ate Melody.

That explains some things...

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#25 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

The Miss from before probably meant they thought you younger than them.

Oh my goodness..now i understand why others here call me Miss (Ms) ! B)

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#26 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

or Ate Melody.

But wheyyyyyy heyyyyyyyy now you contradict by calling me Ate Melody..... i thought i am younger than others by hearing others call me Miss :angry: :lol:

#27 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

But wheyyyyyy heyyyyyyyy now you contradict by calling me Ate Melody..... i thought i am younger than others by hearing others call me Miss :angry: :lol:

Posted Image now that it's solved.. another habit.

Horking and spitting in Public. I was just at Hinatuan's Enchanted River and had to witness someone horking loudly and letting one or two fly into the enchanted river where I was about to swim. Sweetie told me they were trying to feed the fish Posted Image !!! Then I saw people blowing their nose into their hands and washing their hands in the swimming area. Gross. On top of that, I am serenaded with my neighbours horking up big ones and spitting right outside my window often ruining my appetite for breakfast. Just a few people with bad manners, or something more?

#28 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Posted Image now that it's solved.. another habit.

Horking and spitting in Public. I was just at Hinatuan's Enchanted River and had to witness someone horking loudly and letting one or two fly into the enchanted river where I was about to swim. Sweetie told me they were trying to feed the fish Posted Image !!! Then I saw people blowing their nose into their hands and washing their hands in the swimming area. Gross. On top of that, I am serenaded with my neighbours horking up big ones and spitting right outside my window often ruining my appetite for breakfast. Just a few people with bad manners, or something more?

Maybe regional, I have to say I have never noticed such.

#29 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hahaha..you really make me laugh ..That blowing their nose into their hands and washing their hands in the swimming area is really true. I did that too when I was young :lol: . I remember when we ere in the public sea..everybody spitted (spat) and washed it away by waves.

That horking and spitting is my momís habit that I really hate but should I do she is my mom and I canít kill her :lol: though itís really disgusting to see it specially when meal time :angry: . Horking and spitting can be seen while walking in the street too..itís a manner that us Filipino can be considered normal among us. Now being in another country I avoid to horking up big ones and spitting.. I am used now to cover my mouth with a tissue and spit on it..now that i can afford to have tissue while in the Phil. not for extra money just for it.

#30 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • em

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hahaha..you really make me laugh ..That blowing their nose into their hands and washing their hands in the swimming area is really true. I did that too when I was young :lol: . I remember when we ere in the public sea..everybody spitted (spat) and washed it away by waves.

That horking and spitting is my mom's habit that I really hate but should I do she is my mom and I can't kill her :lol: though it's really disgusting to see it specially when meal time :angry: . Horking and spitting can be seen while walking in the street too..it's a manner that us Filipino can be considered normal among us. Now being in another country I avoid to horking up big ones and spitting.. I am used now to cover my mouth with a tissue and spit on it..now that i can afford to have tissue while in the Phil. not for extra money just for it.

It's not just the men doing this. Actually my sweetie pointed out that it's not just the 5 good-for-nothings next door smoking and playing cards around a tiny plastic table that are doing all the fancy horking. It's a lovely little pinay doing most of the trucker stuff, and she is as pretty and nice and simple as any young lady could be. I was quite shocked! However I'm sure I have my share of bad graces which are probably more offensive to the locals the only difference being they're too polite to point it out Posted Image.
For example when I blow my nose I'm unable to do it without honking loudly like a ferry boat. It's bound to turn heads especially when you have a severe allergy to a place like I do to our rented house here in the Phils.

#31 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

It's not just the men doing this. Actually my sweetie pointed out that it's not just the 5 good-for-nothings next door smoking and playing cards around a tiny plastic table that are doing all the fancy horking. It's a lovely little pinay doing most of the trucker stuff, and she is as pretty and nice and simple as any young lady could be. I was quite shocked! However I'm sure I have my share of bad graces which are probably more offensive to the locals the only difference being they're too polite to point it out .
For example when I blow my nose I'm unable to do it without honking loudly like a ferry boat. It's bound to turn heads especially when you have a severe allergy to a place like I do to our rented house here in the Phils.

I was quite shocked too that a blonde pretty woman like you make such bad graces which are probably more offensive to the locals :o . Since you told about it...you see i'm not too polite to point it out :lol: . Limit to blow your nose in a public and do it without honking loudy you may be offensive towards me :P.. ferry boat . :lol:

I believe there are still more lovely,simple,nice ,young little pinays doing most of the trucker stuff..they only limit themselves to be heard. :lol: :P

Edited by melody, 03 November 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#32 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • em

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

I was quite shocked too that a blonde pretty woman like you make such bad graces which are probably more offensive to the locals :o . Since you told about it...you see i'm not too polite to point it out :lol: . Limit to blow your nose in a public and do it without honking loudy you may be offensive towards me :P.. ferry boat . :lol:

I believe there are still more lovely,simple,nice ,young little pinays doing most of the trucker stuff..they only limit themselves to be heard. :lol: :P

It's ok.. I believe a good man can have a healthy appreciation for when their pretty young ladies pull out the trucker stuff Posted Image Something to brag about with the guys Posted Image

#33 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

It's ok.. I believe a good man can have a healthy appreciation for when their pretty young ladies pull out the trucker stuff B) Something to brag about with the guys Posted Image

Of course..for as long as those trucker stuffs are considered to be graces though bad in the others eyes but something to be brag.. and have such good man appreciation ,it's gonna fine. B)

#34 chomper

chomper
  • Members
  • 54 posts
  • CA
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Eating raw mango w salt lol!

Edited by chomper, 11 November 2012 - 06:48 PM.

K-1 TIMELINE
April 26, 2010 - I-129F package sent
April 28, 2010 - Notice Receipt
July 14, 2010 - Petition approved
July 27, 2010 - Medical
July 30, 2010 - Interview scheduling eligibility mail from NVC
Aug 15, 2010 - Appointment Letter from US Embassy Manila
Aug 20, 2010 - Interview
Aug 25, 2010 - Visa received

September 08, 2010 - MLA- SFO POE

October 19, 2010 - SSN application

AOS TIMELINE
Dec 13, 2010 - AOS package sent w/ I-131 & I-765
Dec 20, 2010 - Notice Receipt
Jan 04, 2011 - Biometrics
Mar 01, 2011- I-765 & I-131 "combo card" received
Mar 03, 2011 - Interview
Mar 14, 2011 - Permanent Resident card "GC" received

May 13, 2011 - Got my Drivers License

June 28, 2011 - Started working

ROC TIMELINE (Mar 03 , 2013 - 2yr GC expires)
Dec 03, 2012 -  Joint I-751 application package sent

Dec 08, 2012 - NOA-1 or 1 Year letter extension received (Receipt date 12-5-2012)

Dec 14, 2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received (Notice date 12/11/2012)
June 14, 2013 - Removal of Conditions (10 yr green card) has been approved without interview or RFE (Notice date 06/10/2013)

N400 TIMELINE
Dec 03, 2013 -  N400 application package sent

Dec 12, 2013 - NOA-1 received

Jan 03, 2014 - Biometrics
Mar 18, 2014 - N400 Interview and Exam

Apr 13, 2014 - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

#35 nite_guy

nite_guy
  • 1,096 posts
  • AZ
  • Local Office:St Paul Mn

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Do you mean green mango with salt? I love green mangoes. My wife put me on to them when I was first in the Philippines, and I've been a fan ever since.

#36 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

It's me..........all that is sour with salt :D

#37 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • lo

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

speaking of mango mmmmmm i totally miss it! when i was a kid, during my elementary life i love to eat the green mango and sawsaw it with asin and ohh so yummy!!! but during my high school life my taste was changing and i love to eat the ripe one and not the green one...haha sound's crazy but since high school until now I'd still don't love to eat the green one but the yellow one....ohhh i love mango and is how i am!!! LOL

#38 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

speaking of mango mmmmmm i totally miss it! when i was a kid, during my elementary life i love to eat the green mango and sawsaw it with asin and ohh so yummy!!! but during my high school life my taste was changing and i love to eat the ripe one and not the green one...haha sound's crazy but since high school until now I'd still don't love to eat the green one but the yellow one....ohhh i love mango and is how i am!!! LOL

We pinay are somewhat crazy huh :lol:

You know that when i was a kid too i loved to eat green mango and sawsaw it with asin..i got crazy to see green mangoes vendors outside the school...no tired at all to eat those every school days.. as well sampalok.. (hmmmm..my tongue is craving now) . Hmmm sampalok..i used to walked in the other school ( 1 kms next to us) to find sampalok vendors :lol: . Friends told me that eating all those sour green mangoes and sampalok could affect my period this is why i have always delayed period and suffering pain during menstruation. :unsure:

Speaking of sampalok...a sinigang without a sampalok is never be a sinigang...

Edited by melody, 14 November 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#39 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • lo

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

ahaha! we are same pretty friend....i just remembered when i was on my first grade my teacher made inat/kusi my ear because i and my other classmates followed the other classmates who went outside just to made pee but there was plenty of guava trees outside and we hang in there for a couple of mins i think then when we came back in the class the teacher asked us if where you pupils been? why it took so long for you pupils to go back on our class?

we just answered her because after we pee pee we got some guavas and forgot that we have a class.....those days were so funny, i was 7 years of age that time! our teacher were so so mad haha, one of my classmates offered her a guava..she said here's one for you Ma'am! what a funny kid!!!

mmmmm tatakim, yummy tamarind my friend! pls, pls, pls i do loved sinigang like you and i have make sure that i put plenty of tamarind on it! i think it's true as what your friend said about eating those sour mango and sampalok can affect our period, well even older people always saying like that up to now and i believe with them.

#40 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

ahaha! we are same pretty friend....i just remembered when i was on my first grade my teacher made inat/kusi my ear because i and my other classmates followed the other classmates who went outside just to made pee but there was plenty of guava trees outside and we hang in there for a couple of mins i think then when we came back in the class the teacher asked us if where you pupils been? why it took so long for you pupils to go back on our class?
we just answered her because after we pee pee we got some guavas and forgot that we have a class.....those days were so funny, i was 7 years of age that time! our teacher were so so mad haha, one of my classmates offered her a guava..she said here's one for you Ma'am! what a funny kid!!!

mmmmm tatakim, yummy tamarind my friend! pls, pls, pls i do loved sinigang like you and i have make sure that i put plenty of tamarind on it! i think it's true as what your friend said about eating those sour mango and sampalok can affect our period, well even older people always saying like that up to now and i believe with them.

That inat/kusi the ears of the pupils is still a good one in the PI but never been used in US and Europe. I find it useful for a pupil like you who invented pee as excuse just to take guava fruit :lol: . My experience was at luch i went most of the time in my classmate's house coz there is a mango tree in the yard . I was never bored to eat mangoes those days.

Wow tamarind in sinigang..yummy! I guess we could really be friends coz we have lots in common when it comes to....... eating.. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users