Photo

Which Filipino habits are you adjusting and adapting?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,677 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • em

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

Peoples' cuture may be hard to change. Isn't ? Wether you are American,European or Filipino...but i think certain habits could change....Am i wrong?

Some of men may fail to know first the ladies cultural background and habits prior to marriage or others did but considering marriage send lots of surprises, it could happen that any of men is just accepting the fact..it's too late to turn back and regret :lol:

Since this section speak about Filipino culture and adjusting to it, i think it's more on viewing foreign husbands :unsure: who are encountering some life's adjustment because of cultural difference.

Husbands ..which filipno culture/habits are you adjusting or adapting? Poor husbands :lol:

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#2 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

A lot of Cleo's speech patterns have 'rubbed off' on me. "I am thinking..." for example. And the 'Oi!' (hard to transcribe into type) instead of "d-oh!"

I also press my palms together when trying to get past her because I know she responds better to that then 'excuse'

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#3 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:58 AM

Women burping in public is the one that shocked me! Of course I adapted readily. When I returned after my last trip I didn't even hear if I burped in public, much to the amusement of my colleagues.

#4 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ch

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

Im used to all these so its no big thing to me;

Dried fish smell / fried smell always in the house
eating with hands (rice)
the Oi when Im not paying attention
the "can I borrow $" (never gets paid back and I dont expect it to) ; )
the complaint about we all work work work here and nothing else - its America what can I say
wanting to go home by herself without us being able to afford to go - a problem as we all want to go too

Just a few

Women burping in public is the one that shocked me! Of course I adapted readily. When I returned after my last trip I didn't even hear if I burped in public, much to the amusement of my colleagues.

#5 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

Im used to all these so its no big thing to me;

Dried fish smell / fried smell always in the house
eating with hands (rice)
the Oi when Im not paying attention
the "can I borrow {:content:}quot; (never gets paid back and I dont expect it to) ; )
the complaint about we all work work work here and nothing else - its America what can I say
wanting to go home by herself without us being able to afford to go - a problem as we all want to go too

Just a few

I laugh to these few you mentioned..I’m thinking if you are used to all these and never murmur or you are used to all these but never stop murmuring.. :lol: I can say that the complaint for work work work is not only in America,here in Europe too but I could say it is more on America think of money money money to work for. Hubby was a resident of America 10 yrs ago and he said that was he observed to the majority of American people.

That "can i borrow" and never gets paid back once one promised it ...is really i hate to my fellow pinays to do.

@ seesea...

Seems that burping in public is not a bad thing in our country…you, being surrounded by those burping people :lol: , you also easily adapted it and I think you begun to think it’s a good thing burping specially after eating ;)

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#6 Katherine Pierce

Katherine Pierce
  • 939 posts
  • te

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:18 AM

Women burping in public is the one that shocked me!

or picking their nose...
...or breastfeeding without cover! Posted Image

Edited by Katherine Pierce, 20 September 2012 - 02:19 AM.

The whole part of being civilized is being able to control one's emotions when someone says something that they dont like.

#7 nite_guy

nite_guy
  • 1,096 posts
  • AZ
  • Local Office:St Paul Mn

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Asking if she can ask a favor, I have to promise not to get upset first, which I do, then she doesn't ask for the favor. This can go on for days, until she finally asks for some extra money to spend or to send home, which has never been a problem with me.

The reply to a question with just "uh". This doesn't mean yes, it doesn't mean no, heck it doesn't even mean they heard the question, they just made a sound back to the words I said.

TAMPO, I don't think I'll ever adjust to that one.

#8 W. Thomas

W. Thomas
  • Members
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Theology. Children's issues. Computers.
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • te

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

being late.... HATE IT

bill

#9 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:45 AM

being late.... HATE IT

bill

ME TOO ;)

#10 Doug

Doug
  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Visa type:IR-1

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Time patterns. Here we have American (or Western) time, Filipino time, and Saudi time.

Appointment at 3pm. American/Western time-arrive at destination about 245, or earlier. Filipino time-leave about 3pm. Saudi time-we will be there, Inshallah (God willing).

The altered speech pattern of rearranging words and stuff.

The new phrases I'm learning, and what they mean. "Nice taste." "Why why?" "You go there." (Where exactly is there?)

Rice for every meal.

The babying. After having dated liberated, American woman all my life, it is harder than I imagined having someone "mothering" me all the time.

All in all, it's not that bad. It is more of trying to understand things. Since there are many Filipinos here in Saudi that I work with, it is almost like living "there." :lol:

Doug

Out of the sandbox.

Keepers of the Light. Healers of the Night. http://www.oh-1dmat.org/

#11 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

"You go there." (Where exactly is there?)

This reminds me that American vs. Filipino gestures for 'stay there' and 'come here' appear to be exactly reversed. Which is more confusing than one would think.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#12 kalamputi

kalamputi
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Most of her quirks are quite amusing.

The word reversals which she says is a bayut (bakla) influence...wakal-wakal instead of lakaw-lakaw (walking), Yoj instead of Joy. Following her lead, Walmart is now Tram law, a Vietnamese emporium. Since I grew up with lots of wordplay in the house, all of this is perfectly natural.

Then there is the phrase "I Will Be The One" (to do something), which we've shortened to IWBTO. Her mother used that phrase too and I heard it elsewhere in PH. Where on earth they learned it, I'll never know but it's become a running joke with us now. As in:

Me: "Who will do that, IWBTO or YWBTO (You Will Be The One)?"
Her: "IWBTO."

-I like rice as I grew up eating a lot of it. So when it appears with breakfast, I'm digging it.

-She used to take 30 minute showers (not w/water running the whole time). Now they're very fast (or maybe she still takes longer ones when I'm not there, I'm not sure), due to the colder days. Nothing like a little nip in the air to conserve electricity, eh?

-Buying clothes for her in the "boys" section of the store.

The sending money home issue has not become one. In fact, she's keen that her family not become dependent on us, so has avoided sending copious amounts. I've offered and been politely turned down at least once. This bodes well for the future.

-Tampo. C'mon, this is pouting, let's call it what it is. It's what 12 yr olds do. I for one am not going to put up with it. What a colossal waste of time and energy. So I tell her, if there's a problem, you have to tell me, as much as it hurts to do so. Who the hell are you going to tell if not your husband? But this is the only issue I've had, the rest are either easily (and often pleasantly) adjusted to or delightfully hilarious.

I built a platform for her to work off of in the kitchen, 2X4s and plywood. When she's standing on the platform AND wearing the 3" heels, she is a sight to behold. Like training wheels, the platform is coming out soon and then it will just be heels. She's adapting well.

#13 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

Me: "Who will do that, IWBTO or YWBTO (You Will Be The One)?"
Her: "IWBTO."

This is usually my husband hears too as I used to tell I will be the one to do that..... like mostly happen :angry: .

-Buying clothes for her in the "boys" section of the store.

Hahaha…Sounds like you speak about me too. This is what I do specially if choose to buy T-shirt.
<br style="mso-special-character:line-break">
-Tampo. C'mon, this is pouting, let's call it what it is. It's what 12 yr olds do. I for one am not going to put up with it. What a colossal waste of time and energy. So I tell her, if there's a problem, you have to tell me, as much as it hurts to do so. Who the hell are you going to tell if not your husband? But this is the only issue I've had, the rest are either easily (and often pleasantly) adjusted to or delightfully hilarious.

I think this attitude can’t only be seen among Filipina women and it depends on every person. If your wife is an expressive type,she let you understand what she feels and if there is any problem that bother her even if doesn’t speak but express it in action… her moods change.
<br style="mso-special-character:line-break">
I built a platform for her to work off of in the kitchen, 2X4s and plywood. When she's standing on the platform AND wearing the 3" heels, she is a sight to behold. Like training wheels, the platform is coming out soon and then it will just be heels. She's adapting well.

Is this mean your wife wears a high-heeled shoes even at home and while working in the kitchen?

#14 MrIain

MrIain
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • em

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

Burping in public, and then saying "Thanks God" afterwards.

Having a word for when the mobile phone has a low battery!

Having to eat whenever we visit anyone, and having to feed anyone who visits us, even if they are just popping in.

The constant making and changing of plans, so that we never know what we are going to do until we are actually doing it...and even then we don't know how long we are going to do it or what we are going to do next!

Edited by MrIain, 16 October 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#15 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

Burping in public, and then saying "Thanks God" afterwards.

Having a word for when the mobile phone has a low battery!

Having to eat whenever we visit anyone, and having to feed anyone who visits us, even if they are just popping in.

The constant making and changing of plans, so that we never know what we are going to do until we are actually doing it...and even then we don't know how long we are going to do it or what we are going to do next!

You know i laugh at these.....funny but true

I think burping in the public is acceptable in the US.. Am i right? I tell because here in Europe it consider be undecated person. Till now i burp in silent.

#16 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • em

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

I have a new one.. when shopping, having 20 exuberant sales people in an empty store taking the time to greet you individually and then take turns following (stalking) you around the store at a too-close proximity naming everything you see out loud. That's Toaster Maam.. Microwave Maam.. Coffee Maker Maam.. I don't think they know how insulting it is to be called Maam Posted Image

#17 nite_guy

nite_guy
  • 1,096 posts
  • AZ
  • Local Office:St Paul Mn

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

I have a new one.. when shopping, having 20 exuberant sales people in an empty store taking the time to greet you individually and then take turns following (stalking) you around the store at a too-close proximity naming everything you see out loud. That's Toaster Maam.. Microwave Maam.. Coffee Maker Maam.. I don't think they know how insulting it is to be called Maam Posted Image

Yes Maam, that's understood Maam. :lol:
The Maams and Sirs is just a matter of politeness there. My wife does it in the USA all the time and isn't even aware she's doing it. I find it rather refreshing that politeness is the rule rather than the exception there. In the USA there is a trend to not even say thank you when you make a purchase now. "Have a good one" seems to be today's replacement for "thank you and have a nice day". Also in the USA you're lucky to find a clerk if you need help in many stores. They may over do it a bit in the Philippines, but at least they have someone to help when you need it.

#18 1PPCLI

1PPCLI
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:PSK-31, 80M DX
  • em

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Is it any better than being spoken to in a jocular familiarity, such as being told by a waitress to 'Have a good day, guys.' Maybe I have gotten crustier as I age. ;)

#19 melody

melody

• 2,677 posts
  • em

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hahahaha......Why do you feel to be insulted maam? :lol:

Because you think that maam should be used at school only and not in the shopping mall maam ? :lol:

How would you like i call you maam ? :lol:

You make me really laugh my friend.... I remember back school life...just a student, everytime i passes by in my neighbours house they greet me " hello maam." B)

Edited by melody, 20 October 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#20 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • em

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:08 AM

Hahahaha......Why do you feel to be insulted maam? :lol:

Because you think that maam should be used at school only and not in the shopping mall maam ? :lol:

How would you like i call you maam ? :lol:

You make me really laugh my friend.... I remember back school life...just a student, everytime i passes by in my neighbours house they greet me " hello maam." B)

So I suppose being called Maam is nothing to do with your age and everything to do with your position in life Posted Image
On my first trip 4 years ago they were calling me Miss Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users