12 replies to this topic

#1 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,668 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • em

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:41 PM

Is there anyone here who is struggling to quit the smoking habit? Why and  in what way ?

I think it is more easy to cope against the desire for women/men :lol: :unsure: than the desire to smoke again and again. I don’t smoke nor hubby. This thread is for the sake of my dad. I am planning to petition my parents for them  to live with me for the rest of their lives. Dad said that he wants to quit smoking  and to be a new born Christian :wacko: once he will be here and this is what I am really looking forward too.Besides, I can’t tolerate him anymore from smoking. He seems to be physically older than my hubby.

I think that It’s gonna be hard for a long-term smoker to quit as I have heard that smoking serves like a tranquilizer for a nervous spirit :blink:

Smokers who are now non-smokers or those beginners who quit spending on cigarettes, kindly share me your fighting spirit, if you could :D

Edited by melody, 12 October 2015 - 04:43 PM.

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#2 bee964

bee964
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:03 AM

Hi Melody. I smoked for 30 years and quit "cold turkey" March 12th 2000 at 11:23 am. It sounds like your dad has the first and most important thing to quit,... the will to quit. He will need the will to quit to make it through quitting.

When I was quitting I tried several of the fads that were available for quitting but none of them worked mostly because I really did not have the will to quit. When I did get the will to quit it made it easier to quit. Since I quit I have not gone back to smoking, not even once.

Dave C

#3 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

Hi Melody. I smoked for 30 years and quit "cold turkey" March 12th 2000 at 11:23 am. It sounds like your dad has the first and most important thing to quit,... the will to quit. He will need the will to quit to make it through quitting.

When I was quitting I tried several of the fads that were available for quitting but none of them worked mostly because I really did not have the will to quit. When I did get the will to quit it made it easier to quit. Since I quit I have not gone back to smoking, not even once.

Dave C

Thanks for the reply Dave C ! If I’m not wrong, this is your very first post ever made at wof.

Wondering …..why that precise date March 12th ,precise year 2000  and precise time at 11:23 ? Were you in a health problem because of smoking?

I agree that everyone’s WILL makes thing possible in this matter.However such WILL takes place when a cause is presented.Don’t you think?

Have you tried then an internal body cleansing detoxification method?

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#4 bee964

bee964
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:41 PM

Hi Melody. I don't know if you have ever talked to anybody addicted to anything before but when you decide to quit the addiction you have you can remember when it was and where you had your last "fix".

I remember the day very well and I remember exactly what I was doing. I was making my lunch for work when I decided it was time for a smoke. It was wintertime here in Canada and we just had a snowstorm the night before. It was very cold outside. When I lit my last cigarette I had my second puff and looked at it and said to myself, "This is nuts!" At $52 a carton for them and standing outside freezing my but off I just threw it away, went back inside threw the rest of the pack out and took all of the remaining unopened packs back to the store where I had bought them, put them on the counter and started to walk out when the cashier yelled at me and I said "I don't need them anymore." I walked out and have never gone back to smoking.

I did not have any other motivation other than I didn't want my kids to start. That is why I always went outside to  smoke, even in the winter time. I always smoked outside after my kids were born. They were almost 14 years old by this time (2000) and very impressionable.

Shortly after I quit I found out about my ex-wifes' infidelities. Even this stress did not make me go back to smoking. The willpower must be there for you to achieve your goals. There would be more stresses and anxieties to come but I have never looked back.

As a little piece of advise, the first 2 weeks are the worst but it gets very much easier as the days and weeks go by. By the 6th week I knew I had it beat.

Sometime I should look up and add up the cost savings I have had over the years.

Dave C

#5 bee964

bee964
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hi again. And yes, that looked like my first post. I have belonged for more than a year now but had forgotten my password. I just had it reset because my friend Martin D had posted something I wanted to reply to. I met Martin on another site which led to meeting him and a couple others in person. He pointed me to this site and I joined but had not wanted to post until the other day. I'll have to post my story here sometime.

Dave C

#6 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,836 posts
  • lo

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

When I quit smoking there were two things that really helped me:

1) Electronic cigarette. When a person smokes, they typically smoke until they are finished with a cig, with an ecig you can't do that, so you smoke until you have had enough and then you put it away. For me this meant I smoked less. Also, it is cleaner and doesn't stink you up (or everything around you).

2) Not being around people that smoked. All my friends had given up smoking at the time, except one, and when we didn't hang out very much I found I didn't have the desire as much. If I am around someone who is smoking in a social situation I still get a little bit of a crave, but avoiding that social situation might be one of the biggest aids to not smoking. If a person is trying to quit and everyone around that person smokes, it will be an extreme uphill battle.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#7 coupe

coupe
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trucks and Automobiles. Family, friends, pets. Good food, beer and wine. Philippines. Lots of interests.

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:33 AM

MrkGrismer, Yes, being around people that smoked was a little more difficult. I worked in a factory so it was harder to get away from smokers. I too still get a little crave, especially when I smell a good cigar or a pipe. But the later you don't see very much anymore. Just talking about it now I can still remember a good pipe tobacco smell. The Ecigs I never had. I do know that some of the tobacco companies supply the fluid for them and there is nicotine in it. Nicotine is the addictive substance in tobacco.

Dave C

I never claim to know it all and I am not the brightest bulb in the package but I am willing and able to learn.

#8 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

I did not have any other motivation other than I didn't want my kids to start. That is why I always went outside to  smoke, even in the winter time. I always smoked outside after my kids were born. They were almost 14 years old by this time (2000) and very impressionable.

Shortly after I quit I found out about my ex-wifes' infidelities. Even this stress did not make me go back to smoking. The willpower must be there for you to achieve your goals. There would be more stresses and anxieties to come but I have never looked back.

As a little piece of advise, the first 2 weeks are the worst but it gets very much easier as the days and weeks go by. By the 6th week I knew I had it beat.

Sometime I should look up and add up the cost savings I have had over the years.

Dave C

Hi Dave C !

Base on your smoked-life’s story ahaaa….i consider you a great Dad. You didn’t want to influence your kids of your smoking habit. You’ve got a strong determination too to quit.

Thinking how much $52 you save in 30 years instead of buying cigarettes.

Very much thankful to you for sharing your life’s experience.It’s interesting to know. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Sir Mark & @ Dave C—the one with a coupe B) …Thanks for adding yours!

I also believe that the temptation to smoke is higher if surround by smokers..but I believe  that it is the best time to prove how strong the WILL of a person to say NO at all and never again.

I raise my previous question again...You Guys,Have you tried an internal body cleansing detoxification method after quitting to smoke? Have been to a Doctor for it or just your own natural way?

#9 coupe

coupe
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trucks and Automobiles. Family, friends, pets. Good food, beer and wine. Philippines. Lots of interests.

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

Hi Melody, I missed answering your question before, sorry. I have not had a body cleansing or detoxification. Maybe I should try one?

Dave C

I never claim to know it all and I am not the brightest bulb in the package but I am willing and able to learn.

#10 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,836 posts
  • lo

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:20 PM

No 'detox' for me. That is supposed to happen naturally, over time.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#11 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:32 PM

I thought anybody here knows about body cleansing/ detoxification and have been in a doctor for this process. :(

In an occasion,i met a woman whom i advised to quit smoking.She said nothing to worry about if she smokes  for a lifetime since 3 times a year she undergoes such body cleansing or detoxification. I was not interested to know more about it that time...now i am getting more curious on how it works and what really the process be called.

Anyway,thanks for the comments guys! :)

PS. sorry if i take this opportunity to ask.....where i can find in the forum about SSS claiming away from the Philippines? Thanks in advance

#12 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,836 posts
  • lo

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:32 PM

PS. sorry if i take this opportunity to ask.....where i can find in the forum about SSS claiming away from the Philippines? Thanks in advance

https://www.sss.gov....ger/portal/home

Best of luck on that. Try especially this page: https://www.sss.gov....mentapplication

Edited by MrkGrismer, 30 October 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#13 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

https://www.sss.gov....ger/portal/home

Best of luck on that. Try especially this page: https://www.sss.gov....mentapplication

Thanks for the sites Sir Mark !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users