• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Thetimewillcome

Thetimewillcome
  • 301 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:34 AM

I just wanted to ask those that have immigrated to the US, what you found that surprised you the most when you came here?

October 2010- Met online
October 28, 2010-Officially a couple
Feb 26, 2011- Met at NAIA
Feb 28, 2011- Proposed in Bali
Sept 1, 2011- Second trip to the Philippines
Feb 11, 2012- Third trip to the Philippines
July 9, 2012- Final divorce judgement
Aug 10, 2012- Sent I-129F
Aug 14 2012- NOA 1

April 19 2013-NOA 2
Aug 5 Sputum negative, finished medical

Aug 7 Embassy interview passed

Aug 31 Visa delivered.

The US government agencies that process visa applications suck stinky a$$.

‎"A wise man should consider health is the greatest blessing, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses" -Hippocrates

#2 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

When my babe arrived here in 1991, she was pretty calm about most everything. But each day brought new surprises, mostly to me, but a few from her.

About the third or fourth day here, after we had been all over the city (Sacramento), she remarked that we had a "second language." "What is it?" I asked. She told me, "Spanish." DUH!

But what really "impressed her," especially at the movie theater..was how big Americans were, and how much popcorn you got at the theater refreshment bar. Those were big eye openers for her.

I could go on for hours on this subject...but I'll give someone else a chance to talk.

--Ray B

I just wanted to ask those that have immigrated to the US, what you found that surprised you the most when you came here?

#3 coolbreeze

coolbreeze
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

I spent a night in Houston, Texas because I missed my connecting flight when I first came here. The airline booked me into a hotel for the night, all expenses paid plus a voucher for food. I went to the restaurant in the hotel and ordered a plate of pasta for my dinner. I was surprised when the waiter brought my order in a big platter, the serving of which was good for three people. Then when me and my late husband met the next day, we went to TGIF and again, I was served a large plate of what I ordered. I had to ask a box to put my left over. I made a comment about this and my late husband said "that's usual here in the US because americans are big".

I work in the emergency department registering patients in our community hospital, and what we call minor injuries and illnesses in the Philippines are emergency cases here in the US. What happened to first aid?

#4 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

My wife upon arriving was in awe starting from the airport and all the way on the road to our home her eyes were wide open, her words to me were that she could not believe how organized the US is. When I questioned her more as to what she meant, she said there are signs everywhere and the roads are so nice and in good repair.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#5 jemma65

jemma65

the future belongs to those who believes in the beauty of their

• 861 posts
  • Interests:too much to mention...
  • ve
  • Local Office:Tampa

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

When I arrived here in Florida at 4 o'clock in the afternoon , and we went for early dinner at Fred's Southern kitchen, I was surprised when I got my plate and of course to the food counter , the first big pot I've seen , you know what? "grits" , I thought filipinoes are only had corn grits, but I was really wrong for my expectations before we get in Freds.I asked my husband if he likes grits, and he said;" oh yeah,grits is really good w/ bacon and eggs".We ate corn grits in our country but not soft, we cooked like the way we do the rice.

:wub:  :wub: Timeline for another journey.... :wub:  :wub: 
Remove condition for Resident green card
temp. green card expires 04/07/2011
12/21/10.....notice from Homeland Security
01/16/11.....package mailed to USCI
01/28/11.....got NOA1 receipt
03/23/11.....got NOA2 bio sched
03/29/11.....biometrics
07/02/11....received approval notice
07/05/11.....finally GC
August 3,2011 got my second job with Gods power..!

6/23/2013 citizenship papers not submitted yet! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

NewYearand2nddayof2011pics042-2-1.jpg

"Love each other with guide affection, and take delight in honoring each other."

#6 munckin

munckin
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • lo

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

since i came here, i learned more and more about US norms and culture, more wide and clear than what i used to see in us movies, and stories from relatives.. for years being here i picked it up eventually and experience it at hand..to name a few,.. when eating at restaurant, tips should always be considered. ,,my early months here,i went to have lunch myself, and exited the door after i paid the bill and there you go the waiter chase after me and ask if i left a tip..it happened a few times i walked out and forgetting to leave a tip..i wasn't used to it..

a friend treated me to an upscale restaurant, i was surprised when they gave as the food one by one, starting from drinks, then salad, then big bowl of soup then appetizer, and before they served the main dish ,i was already full.. :lol: ..so i end up asking for 2 go boxes..

it took me a year to know the names of our neighbors across the street, and till now, i only knew a few of people in our area cul de sac..

my nieces call me by my name not by "auntie" so i dont know who is who sometimes in the family since there's no adress name for elders..,

#7 Psoas10

Psoas10
  • 409 posts
  • ca

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

It depends where in the US and if the US citizen is Filipino or Asian. My wife noticed that the culture, food and weather was similar to PI. Also she is surprised to always meet people from ilocos Norte. The one thing she did find odd is those big lifted trucks and the price of stuff.

#8 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

My wife upon arriving was in awe starting from the airport and all the way on the road to our home her eyes were wide open, her words to me were that she could not believe how organized the US is. When I questioned her more as to what she meant, she said there are signs everywhere and the roads are so nice and in good repair.

Lol, that's like the opposite of my reaction to Manila Posted Image
What my friends noticed (fresh off the ship and visiting for a day) was that there was nobody around my neighbourhood in the day. They asked "where are all the people" and "what do you do in this giant house when you're alone?" *the house is small
They also noticed that the corn here is much tastier Posted Image They loved having fresh corn.

When I visit the US, the biggest thing I notice is the abundance of choices in stores and fast food options. And the low prices of the fast food! And much larger people.. sorry to say it, but shocking even to your northern neighbours.. I could just imagine it through a Filipina's eyes!

Oh and another thing.. the culture. Men hit on me a lot more, verbally saying things to me about the way I look, etc. Although it's an ego boost Posted Image I'm not used to being spoken to like that at home. Again, must be worse for cute Filipinas in that regard also!

#9 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

When I arrived here in Florida at 4 o'clock in the afternoon , and we went for early dinner at Fred's Southern kitchen, I was surprised when I got my plate and of course to the food counter , the first big pot I've seen , you know what? "grits" , I thought filipinoes are only had corn grits, but I was really wrong for my expectations before we get in Freds.I asked my husband if he likes grits, and he said;" oh yeah,grits is really good w/ bacon and eggs".We ate corn grits in our country but not soft, we cooked like the way we do the rice.

I didn't know that the Philippines had grits, I look forward to trying it! I only had them a few times in Ft Lauderdale but they were sooo good with bacon and eggs Posted Image

#10 saccharine

saccharine
  • 354 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:San Jose CA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

Honestly more shocking for me is the morbidly obese people, that sometimes I could not help but take a long look at them. Another one is the bigger back part specially to those african american women, makes me wonder how did it grow that way. Amazed by those with disabilities ( slow adults, partially blind or totally blind) that they could function pretty well. Surprised by a lot of behavioral abnormalities or disabilities on people such as those talking to themselves, non stop pacing, involuntary body twitches and so on and so fort...

#11 MrIain

MrIain
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • em

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

We haven't gone through the UK immigraiton process yet because we live in the Middle East, but I have taken my wife to the UK a few times.

Things that my wife was particularly struck by: the dramatic changes caused by the seasons ("what happened to all the leaves?"), the orderly behaviour and lack of lane-switching on the roads, public access to so many beaches and gardens in the UK, the quality of the fruit and vegetables (much better than in Middle East), the relative solemnity of the UK Catholic church services compared to those in the Phils...as well as half-empty churches

The worst thing for my wife, which we have talked about numerous times, is the western practice of putting our elderly relatives in care homes. I much prefer the Philippines way of looking after the old people.

#12 Katherine Pierce

Katherine Pierce
  • 939 posts
  • te

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

I landed at LAX on a summer night. It was between 8:00 and 9:00 PM. The first thing that confused me was what the sun was doing still in the sky that late, since in the Philippines it starts to get dark at 6. So that was the first thing. I agree about the food servings larger than what it is in PI. My first time I ate at Ruby Tuesday, I ordered a burger and ate only half. I thought everything I saw was jumbo size, Posted Image including the bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, etc.
The whole part of being civilized is being able to control one's emotions when someone says something that they dont like.

#13 Mark042806

Mark042806
  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, Travel, Family, Great Restaurants, and all Sports.
  • ve

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

My wife arrived in the Boston last year in late November, so of course the temperatures were dropping. The next day we walked outside, for the first time, she saw her breath coming from her mouth. Something we New Englander's take for granted, but she had no idea what it was.....freaked her out!
4/28/2006: Met Maricel in Hong Kong
5/1/2006: Leave Hong Kong for Taiwan thinking "what just hit me"?
10/2006: Maricel meets me in Hong Kong
04/2007 and 10/2007: Cel meets me in Hong Kong
04/2008: After 10 days in Hong Kong, Cel takes me to PI to meet the family
Sometime in 2008: Annulment process started
10/2008: First trip to Boracay, Party with her family, and of course with Cel in Hong Kong for my business.
04/2009: Arrive PI for a few days and we then take her boys and a couple of her nieces to Hong Kong so they can all meet Mickey Mouse. After a couple of days they return to PI and we continue our trip in Hong Kong.
10/2009: Another trip to PI, Boracay, Hong Kong, and Macao
12/2009: Surprise trip to PI for XMAS and Cel's birthday.
04/2010: Back to Hong Kong with Cel
10/2010: Yet another trip to Boracay, Makati, and Hong Kong
12/2010: XMAS, Cel's Birthday, and New Years in Manila and Cebu.
03/2011: Annulment finally complete!!
03/15/2011: NOA1 received
04/2011: Yet another trip to PI and Bluewater Resort in Cebu before going to Hong for business.
08/26/2011: NOA1 approved.
08/31/2011: NOA2 received in mail.
09/08/2011: I received MNL case number in the mail.
09/14/2011: Visa fee paid at BPI
09/15/2011: Interview set for October 5
10/04/2011: Medical complete.
10/05/2011: Visa approved.
10/17/2011: We both arrive in Hong Kong. Cel from PI and I from USA.
11/02/2011: Passport returned to US Embassy via 2GO.
11/18/2011: Passport w/Visa in hand.
11/28/2011: Manila-Tokyo-Washington-Boston
11/28/2011: Meet Cel in Washington and we fly together home to Boston
12/15/2011: Applied for SSN
12/23/2011: Received SS Card
01/14/2012: Wedding in Orlando Florida
02/15/2012: Sent paperwork for AOS
04/18/2012: Received Advance Parole
04/25/2012: Off to HKG for a quick 5 day business trip together. This time both
of us from USA!

#14 JoeinMI

JoeinMI
  • 280 posts
  • ca

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

When Sherry got here, I had explained to her that it starts getting cold in November and we get some snow by Christmas here in southern Michigan. She arrived the first week of November and on Nov 21st there was a foot of snow at our wedding reception! After that she didnt believe anything I told her for about a month!! Someone else here already mentioned the length of the days changing with the seasons but she had trouble with the winter days being so short - not to mention the cold here....

She was also surprised that going to the doctor, dentist, chiropractor, we did so by calling ahead and not just by showing up and waiting in line for 3 or 4 hours to get seen. She couldnt get over how well americans stayed in lines whether it be in stores or in traffic.

She was also very surprised at how high I had let my VISA bill get!!! Between getting her here, Christmas, and vacation with the kids, it was pretty high. She thought I made lots of money when she saw my paycheck but then I showed her my VISA bill, gas & electric, phone, cell phone, insurances, cost of gas, car payment,cost of groceries and clothes, blah, blah, blah.....! A couple weeks after I had introduced her to american finances, I handed over the checkbook, all the bills, and began direct depositing my paycheck. She has handled all the finances since! She does a GREAT job! We have paid down all the big bills and now just worry about my daughter's college education.

Edited by JoeinMI, 04 September 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#15 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

So many things, but the thing that really sticks out in my mind is that Cleo got here in June, and early on she asked why the sun was still out at 10pm?

Contrast that with Joe and Sherry above and I would recommend the June arrival ;) (lol)

Cleo loves it here in Michigan tho, she loves the four seasons. She even talked me into going camping in October last year, so we could camp in the fall colors.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users