Photo

Poll for the games

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll for the games (43 member(s) have cast votes)

keep the games

1. yes (25 votes [58.14%])

Percentage of vote: 58.14%

2. no (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

The game section was put on the site so members would have a place to post about what games they or dislike. Some people have been playing word games in that section and it floods the new post box with so many new posts that members looking for new info about visa's and Fil-Am info are having to weed thru all the game posts to find the info they need.
So should we stop the games or keep the games?
TIM

#2 AndrwMrk

AndrwMrk
  • Moderators
  • 1,913 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ch
  • Local Office:Chicago

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

I seem to remember one guy wanting to quit the forum a few months ago because of the fun and games that was taking place on the forum at that time, he was serious and all business. But its the fun and games that may help to establish long lasting friendships that goes beyond the limits of the forum. I've noticed some members who contributed a lot to the forum but as soon as their immigration process was done they don't seem to visit the site quite as much (with good reason, I bet laugh.gif rolleyes.gif ). When my fiancee arrives and we finish with our AOS, I probably won't need this forum quite as much either, but it will be the 'fun and games' and the personal relationships that I've made that will give me reason to keep coming back.

Maybe I don't find the games annoying because I don't use the 'view new post' link. If you don't want to be involved with the games you can click on the bright red maple leaf (or the dark blue IPB button depending on which skin you use) next to the fun and games sub-forum and it will mark all threads as 'read'.

Andrew
"Mix those mixed nuts! I see two almonds touching!"
~Kif Kroker

#3 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • ch

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

good point

#4 AndrwMrk

AndrwMrk
  • Moderators
  • 1,913 posts
  • ch

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

I've noticed that there are a number of filipinas here find this place to be a great distraction from the boredom that they experience when they first arrive in the US and are not yet able to work. When my fiancee arrives here in the US, it'll probably be a while before she finds a good place to work, so I'll encourage her to become a member here. I'm not sure if the word games will suit my fiancee's fancy, but the few times that she's used my account to log on, she said that she had a lot of fun.

Some people use the forum for relationship advice, some for travel advice, some for immigration, and some to have fun and establish friendships. biggrin.gif

Andrew
~Kif Kroker

#5 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • ch

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:33 PM

Another good point wink.gif
TIM

#6 sterlingsilver

sterlingsilver
  • Members
  • 1,406 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • te

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:39 PM

Isn't it more important to help those still in process and that need vital information without weeding through 100's of mindless game posts? Or is it more important to cure the boredom of those with the luxury of being here ALREADY who should have better things to do with their new lives in the US than mindlessly sitting in front of the computer awaiting their turn to answer "if, and, but" and "A, B, and C's ?

Just a hairbrained thought.
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. Karl Marx

#7 AndrwMrk

AndrwMrk
  • Moderators
  • 1,913 posts
  • ch

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:17 PM

if you want to read about LDRs you go to that subtopic, if you have visa and immigration questions you go there, you want babies you go to Baby talk, want to talk about the ACLU or have a prayer request go to the Christian subforum. Simple as that, no muss no fuss.
~Kif Kroker

#8 sterlingsilver

sterlingsilver
  • Members
  • 1,406 posts
  • te

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:28 PM

Or to play games go to kindergarten Romper Room?

Ok Ok big guy...was just offering a different opinion.
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. Karl Marx

#9 AndrwMrk

AndrwMrk
  • Moderators
  • 1,913 posts
  • ch

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:31 PM

biggrin.gif

I included that ACLU part because I actully did learn a lot from that. I also learned a lot about the philippines in some of the word games...
~Kif Kroker

#10 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,131 posts
  • Location:Home is where the heart is and my heart is with my wife.
  • ca
  • Local Office:Denver

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

I don't think it's necessary to eliminate the games section. From what I understand, this whole topic is stemming from some "view new topics" link or email or whatever. Obviously I don't use it. I go from section to section and read what I want and then mark everything else as "read". When I come back to the site I can see what sections new posts are located almost instantly. For those that the number of games posts is making this forum life more difficult, I'd suggest going about things differently. I see no reason to delete something that is bothersome for a few. Of course, the polls may show that it's bothersome for many. We'll see.
Love is a decision... an act of will. ~Fr John Corapi.
The Will of God will never take you to a place where the Grace of God does not protect you. ~unkown
Posted Image + Posted Image = Posted Image
Timelines
Facebook Page

#11 sterlingsilver

sterlingsilver
  • Members
  • 1,406 posts
  • te

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE(AndrwMrk @ Oct 22 2006, 06:31 PM) View Post

biggrin.gif

I included that ACLU part because I actully did learn a lot from that.

So did I. More than I wanted actually. biggrin.gif

At the end of the day, I will support whatever the majority of the members want. I was just putting myself in the mindset of what I needed from Asawa before Leah got here. If I had to navigate through so many game threads to see if members had posted answers to my questions, I would have been lost. That is my primary concern. Now I can whiz through pretty well even if it is annoying. Back then when informacion was critical and forum navigation lacking, not so much.

Sorry if i offended you, I actually have enjoyed reading your posts over time.

#12 southerndon

southerndon
  • Moderators
  • 1,661 posts
  • lo

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:00 AM

I don't see the harm in the games so much as they do clutter things up...I'm personally glad that the folks in here are having fun AND if relationships are being built just that much better...

With that being said I have suggested to Tim that He create a subsection of some sort that won't interfere with the other post...sort of like the "Live Chat" u can go there and it's not interfering with the other threads...

If there were a way to do that I'm all for it...

Southerndon

#13 Coastie

Coastie
  • Members
  • 1,726 posts
  • te

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:14 AM

I found it not so hard to find the other post for the visa and such. I went and read them many times. I do not post on them much cause I am not a Expert at them. But I did enjoy the Games. Gave me something to do. I agree there were way to many but it did not really bother anything either from my view point.
It did give the Filipinas whom gotten here something to do and brought in friendships, which is also part of this site right? Least I hope so. If it was not for the Games, I would not visit as often. Why should I? I'm not an Visa expert.. Not been able to finish up. It has given me some insight. I enjoyed some of the stories posted.

Place them in a different area where they do not show fine. But then those who do enjoy the company of others in them will be less to view and comment on the items such as Visa's and such.

Set Sail and enjoy Life treasures and leave the Troubles behind

#14 George & Ramilyn

George & Ramilyn
  • Members
  • 83 posts
  • te

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:30 AM

I know sometimes it is a pain to look through several pages of news posts and most of them being games. But I know that many on here are using it to have fun with friends and to make new friends. I think it would be very selfish of me to want them stop playing the games because it takes me a few extra minutes to find the posts I am interested in.

This is a community of over 900 members with many different likes and dislikes. The only way for this to be a good forum is to be accepting of each other. The games are not harming anybody and they are not breaking any of the forum rules. I vote to keep the games.

George
When a match made in heaven arrives, eternity is never enough.

May 14, 2005 - Introduced online by friends
Dec. 14, 2005 - First meeting in Manila
Dec. 16, 2005 - Engaged
Jan. 3, 2006 - Worst day of my life...leaving her to come home
May 10, 2006 - Send in I-129f to TSC
May 18, 2006- Notice date of NOA1
May 22, 2006 - Received NOA1 in mail from CSC
June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE
July 1, 2006 - Retured IMBRA RFE
July 10, 2006 - USCIS received RFE
Sep. 8, 2006 - Petition Approved (notice date on NOA2)
Oct. 4, 2006 - Called NVC and got our case #: MNL2006777***
Medical - Feb. 1, 2007
Interview - Feb. 8, 2007 ***APPROVED***
Feb. 19, 2007 - Visa in her hand
Feb. 24, 2007 - Arrived.....FINALLY!!!

April 7, 2007 - Married

AOS Timeline
May 29, 2007 - Mailed I-485
May 31, 2007 - USCIC Received
June 5, 2007 - NOA1 receipt ...received in mail on the 8th
June 21, 2007 - RFE
June 27, 2007 - Biometrics
July 24, 2007 - Transfering to CSC
July 31, 2007 - Touched and touched again on Aug. 1 and 2
Aug. 8, 2007 - Case pending at CSC
Aug. 10, 2007 - Touched
Aug. 13, 2007 - Notice welcoming the new permanent resident!
Aug. 18, 2007 - Green Card arrived in the mail!

#15 Himaya Ko

Himaya Ko
  • Members
  • 957 posts
  • Interests:Loving Asawa kong Joynelyn!
  • ca

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:54 AM

At first I never visited the game section, but as time went on I began to visit often because my Beloved Joynelyn loves to have fun. With all the stress that our Beloved's must go through during the whole immigration process and then with adjusting to their new home, I can see how this section is and will continue to be a wonderful diversion for them. Also, I know that it has helped Joynelyn and I a couple of times to get through some rough spots and so I thank WOF for allowing us to use this section sort of like therapy. biggrin.gif

As far as continueing to help others who are looking for advice going through the immigration process, well if I can ever be of assistance, then I shall be glad to help in the future. I don't see how the game section would keep me from doing so. But I honestly don't know how much I can help others, for our process seemed to go by so smoothly I could only give the usual advice. "Cross your t's and dot your i's" sort of advice.

God Bless
Our Journey:

08-24-2003 Met my Beloved
11-26-2005 Cebu City to visit my Beloved
12-26-2005 Left Cebu City sadly leaving my Beloved
02-06-2006 Sent I-129f to TSC
02-08-2006 I-129f arrives, not picked up
02-09-2006 I-129f picked up by TSC
02-15-2006 I-797C, NOA1 Notice Date from CSC
02-17-2006 Money Order for I-129f fee cashed
02-19-2006 Touched
02-21-2006 My Beloved gets her NBI Clearance. NOA1 in mail
03-16-2006 My Beloved gets her CFO cert.
05-08-2006 Touched
05-09-2006 Touched & Approved. NOA2 dated May 8, 2006
05-13-2006 Official NOA2 in mail
05-22-2006 NVC sent petition to Manila
09-25-2006 Interview APPROVED!
12-31-2006 My Beloved Arrives Home
01-09-2007 Obtained our Marriage License
01-25-2007 Married
================AOS Application
=================
03-29-2007 Sent AOS package
05-11-2007 AOS case transferred to CSC
06-19-2007 AOS case approved, GC ordered
06-25-2007 My Beloved gets her GC
=============================================

To label me a hypocrite would be
Only scratching the surface of who I've been known to be

Rush Of Fools - Undo

#16 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • lo

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:16 PM

Deleted.

Edited by MrkGrismer, 21 November 2006 - 06:28 PM.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#17 Cartero

Cartero
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(sterlingsilver @ Oct 23 2006, 06:39 AM) View Post

Isn't it more important to help those still in process and that need vital information without weeding through 100's of mindless game posts? Or is it more important to cure the boredom of those with the luxury of being here ALREADY who should have better things to do with their new lives in the US than mindlessly sitting in front of the computer awaiting their turn to answer "if, and, but" and "A, B, and C's ?

Just a hairbrained thought.

It depends upon what is the boards mission. I got invovled with both this board and asawa at about the same time. When the board was created asawa had suspended many of the cultural/relationship forums. So those and not immigration issues are what intrest me.

If the only problem is that you can't see new "important" post in the new post section well what about the different language forums do they also clog the new post? Is it a problem?

Like those who don't see a problem I just look for the highlighted leaf on the forums I am interested in. In a perfect world for me that would not highlight for a new responce on a pinned topic. But then I don't expect the world to turn perfect for me.

#18 roxychild

roxychild
  • Members
  • 547 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(Cartero @ Oct 23 2006, 09:40 PM) View Post

If the only problem is that you can't see new "important" post in the new post section well what about the different language forums do they also clog the new post? Is it a problem?

The "view new post" was set there for a reason and that is for convenience to board users to view topics since last visit. That's just nit picking comparing the games section to the language section.

I recall a poll sometime ago conducted in this forum with regards to the idea of having a guys and gals section. It seems like the board is now divide into two... games vs. the board primary mission.

#19 sterlingsilver

sterlingsilver
  • Members
  • 1,406 posts
  • te

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(roxychild @ Oct 23 2006, 08:59 AM) View Post
It seems like the board is now divide into two... games vs. the board primary mission.

I think this board is about to lose it's primary reason. At least the one it was founded with.

#20 grnskpr

grnskpr
  • Members
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:golf & environmental stewardship

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(sterlingsilver @ Oct 23 2006, 10:22 AM) View Post

I think this board is about to lose it's primary reason. At least the one it was founded with.

This whole discussion may soon prove to be moot. More and more members will seek their information from other forums that are dedicated to providing fil/am information; thereby, leaving WOF to the game players.
"No Man is an Island."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users