6 replies to this topic

#1 paulainee

paulainee
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ve

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:31 AM

Hi! Can i ask some advise regarding our spousal visa processing.. We married here this month and we're applying for spousal visa. Just wondering if i really need to change my family name in my passport coz my husband told me that its ok if i wont be able to change it. Please advise. Thank you and looking forward to read more replies. :)

#2 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

For me, you need to change it! so it will fit to all your paper works and so it won't be a problem later. Like mine before.....Good Luck!!!

#3 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,237 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:20 AM

You do not need to change your passport name for the visa process.

The advantage of getting your passport in your married name is that all your identity papers will agree.  If you are unable to use your married name in your passport or wish to wait and make the change at a later date then your marriage certificate will be used with your passport to explain the two different names.

Just make sure your airline ticket is in the name shown in your passport to minimize problems while traveling internationally.

The adventure continues

Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#4 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,768 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

Hi! Can i ask some advise regarding our spousal visa processing.. We married here this month and we're applying for spousal visa. Just wondering if i really need to change my family name in my passport coz my husband told me that its ok if i wont be able to change it. Please advise. Thank you and looking forward to read more replies. :)

Paulainee,

There have been reports of spousal visa applicants who did not update their passports with their married names before their interviews and one of two things happened, depending on which name (married or maiden) was used in the spousal visa paperwork:

1.  The Embassy insisted that the passport be updated with the married name before a visa would be issued, and or

2.  The visa was issued in the wife's maiden name, as was the subsequent Green Card, even though the husband and applicant expected the visa and Green Card to be issued in married name.

As Fritz posted, you don't "have" to change your passport to married name, but there are possible uncomfortable consequences if you leave that "I" undotted, or "T" uncrossed.

--Ray B

#5 paulainee

paulainee
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • ve

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Hi Mr. Ray B,

Thank for the response. The purpose of my husband in not changing everything at my end because the he heard that it take shorter time to stay as is when it comes to processing in my paper works than changing them. Is that true? How long did u know will that take for the spousal visa processing? And we're planning to change my married name at the later time when im in the US already. 

Thank you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Fritz,

Yes, we will be using my passport name for my ticket but still convincing my husband to change my name to married so there will be less hassle i guess in the future for the documentations like Mr. Bacon was telling me. The point of my husband is not to wait too long for changing my name that's why he wanted to stay everything as is. We will just present our marriage certificate if needed. Will that help?

Thank you.

Ainee

#6 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

If you can change your passport name to your married name, then do it.  This change does not affect processing time.  It will save a lot of time later and eliminate many problems with paperwork due to questioning of the difference in names.

You don't have to, but if you can it will make life easier.

The adventure continues

Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#7 paulainee

paulainee
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • ve

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:25 AM

Good day everyone! Just want to know what this mean....

On September 5, 2013, your Alien Registration Number was changed relating to your I129F, PETITION FOR FIANCE(E). Please check our website at www.uscis.gov for further updates on your case. Please wait until the end of normal processing time before calling customer service at 1-800-375-5283 for live assistance.

This is the update of our spousal visa. Hope to hear some reply. Thank you and God bless!

Ainee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users