48 replies to this topic

#41 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,260 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

To add a bit of detail to Carl's reply. The visa will be stamped in your husband and children's passports when they enter Philippines. If you are with them and request the Balikbayan Privilege, the visa stamp will be a 1yr visa instead of the 21 day visitor's visa.

The kids will be dual citizens when you formally report their birth to either the consulate serving your home outside Philippines or the DFA. Once their births are reported, then they will enter Philippines with Philippine passports.

When leaving Philippines, you as a Filipino will be charged Travel Tax unless you can show you are exempt, in which case the fee is P200 for the 'Waiver of Travel Tax'. Your US greencard and state ID will serve as evidence of being exempt. Payment is made at the Philippine Tourism Authority (PTA) booth in the airport.

In future when the kids travel with their own Philippine passports they will have this same hassle.

Finally dual citizens always use the domestic passport when entering a country where they have citizenship. So the kids after they get their PI passports will use the Philippine passport entering Philippines, the US passport entering US and whichever is more convenient elsewhere.

Keep on truckin'
Fritz

Thanks guys, my husband whose american citizen too and the kids are travelling with me so were looking options if extension visa is better or balikbayan visa is best. I read about the balikbayan, its less stress than renewing visa extension, were staying 6month in Phils. Do you know how much will cost us to get the stamp for balikbayan visa? I know we can get it when we arrive Manila in immigration check in. I do appreciate some info about this... Thanks again.

Balikbayan privilege is free & gives your foreign hubby and kids permission to stay 1 yr without extensions.

Yep a lot less stress as well as being much cheaper for a 6 month stay :D

Keep on truckin'
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#42 genjenkry

genjenkry
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Pending)
  • ch

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

Balikbayan privilege is free & gives your foreign hubby and kids permission to stay 1 yr without extensions.

Yep a lot less stress as well as being much cheaper for a 6 month stay :D

Keep on truckin'
Fritz

Thanks for this. :P

#43 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:39 AM

Does 21 days include your date of arrival? For example, if you arrived on the 1st would you have to leave on the 21st? or the 22nd, counting the 1st-2nd as day one?

#44 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

Does 21 days include your date of arrival? For example, if you arrived on the 1st would you have to leave on the 21st? or the 22nd, counting the 1st-2nd as day one?

You count both end days. So arriving on the 1st your passport would be stamped with an expiration date of the 21st.

The most recent stamp in my passport is 03/15/11 expiry 04/04/11. 21 days total. 3/15 was day 1 and 4/4 was day 21.

The adventure continues
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#45 teddybabe

teddybabe
  • Members
  • 235 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:05 AM

Ummmm, last time i was there Nov/Dec 2007 (been there 7 or 8 times) I stayed 32 days. Didn't get an extension and didn't pay any fine when I left.

#46 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

Ummmm, last time i was there Nov/Dec 2007 (been there 7 or 8 times) I stayed 32 days. Didn't get an extension and didn't pay any fine when I left.

That was the officer checking your passport missing your overstay. You can skip the extension and keep money in your pocket to pay the fine if you wish to. Most though just comply with the law and get extensions as needed.

The penalty when a relatively minor overstay is spotted is a small fine that is a little more than the extension fees that were not paid.

If neglecting to get the required extension, it is best not to come to the attention of an immigration officer who is thinking about a gift for the spouse :P

The adventure continues
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#47 GregOry

GregOry
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Learning more about my Filipina! ;-)
    Sports with my Filipina.
  • ve

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for all the info here... as payback I will contribute what I have learned. I like the EASY WAY of using a travel agent and may try that next.

In an attempt of a complete guide I will use Don’s information and update it for 2012 and my experience.

1. Arrived Philippines 19 April 2012 at the Cebu City Airport (CEB) and had the 21 day visa stamped in my passport before I asked questions. The better plan is to go to the Immigration Supervisor before getting the 21 day visa stamp and pay for the other 38 days for a 59 day visa. The 21 day visa is free and paying for the other 38 at the airport would have saved me about 3 hours and 2 taxi rides to go to Immigration and process for the visa there. They also told me at the airport that the extension would cost under 2400 pesos (there may have been additional costs, I don’t know because I did not get an extension there). At Immigration I paid a total of 3030 for the first 38 day extension. I found the BOI office I used with the address that the folks at the airport provided.

2. Make sure you wear long pants, NO SHORTS, when you go to the Immigration office. Do not wear sandals or slippers of any kind. Tennis shoes or running shoes are ok. There is a sign posted at the office I went to and you are not allowed in without appropriate dress. I wore jeans, shirt with sleeves & covered shoes… no problems.

3. They did not require any copies of my passport. If they wanted any they made them when processing. Total time in the office was under 2 hours. Be careful about lunch time though. People that showed after 11:30 were told to come back at 1:00pm as they could not complete the visa before the clerks lunch period.

4. NO requirement for passport size photos either until 4th extension (get 3 - 2 x 2 inch photos for 72 pesos at a photo shop - $1.72).

5. Be prepared to wait for a while, depending on what city you are in, and be prepared to pay an "Express Lane Fee” of 500 pesos & “Express Lane Fee (CERTIFICATION)” of another 500. I included those fees in the cost below and I don't think you can avoid it so don't even try.

The cost for my first extension of 38 days (total 59 authorized): 3030 peso ($73 @ $1=42 peso currently) – total of 6 different fees
From the fee schedule posted at the office:
2d extension (first 2 month) = 7490 ($179)
3d extension (2 months) = 4050 ($97)
4th extension (2 months when staying over 6 months) = 4240 ($101) Need 3 – 2x2 inch photos for ECC (Emigration Clearance Certificate)

ALL extension after the 4th are for 2 months at a time & cost is 2830 ($68)

I am sure this will not be a problem for any of you but....be very polite no matter what...if you do not agree with in BOI office keep it to yourself. That is the last place that you will want problems.

The BOI office that I went to in Cebu City was crowded but orderly and pretty efficient. They stamped the extension in my passport and gave me a receipt and a certificate showing a clear background check for “Bureau’s Hold Departure, Blacklist, Watch list and/or Intelligence Derogatory Records”.

Good Luck and KEEP SMILIN'

GregOry :D B)

GregOry & Taring
TIMELINE FOR K-1 VISA
19 APR 12 - Arrived in Philippines to STAY until the VISA is ready.
5 MAY 12 – MAILED PETITION FROM PHILIPPINES TO DALLAS, TEXAS
11 MAY – EMAIL NOTIFICATION “… received and routed to the Vermont Service Center for processing.”
1 NOV 12 - APPROVED - Post Decision Activity (email notification DID NOT happen - found out by checking status at USCIS site)
14 NOV - Called NVC: # assigned and sent to Manila embassy 13 Nov.

19 NOV - Physical - Sputum collection ordered & completed by 23 Nov  :-( :-(  Interview canceled!

28 NOV - Negative initial result on sputum  :-) Waiting 2 months for culture result.  NEG please

7 DEC - Positive Culture. Called to St. Lukes; appointment Tues 11 DEC :-( Ohhh well

11 DEC - Moved to Manila for TB treatment.

15 MAR 13 - The Clinic Does Not Inform the Patients Well.  Ask Questions if You have Them.

10 JUN - Finished treatment and waiting for 1 month for final culture negative. 

11 JUL 13 - Back to SLEC for re-Physical (pay fee again).  Final culture result of 10 JUL requires entry to USA within 90 days.

22 JUL - Back to SLEC for vaccinations.

29 JUL - INTERVIEW - VISA SUPPOSEDLY APPROVED

20 AUG - Still WAITING.  Status said "Administrative Processing" then "Ready" (for interview) then "Administrative Processing" then "Ready" again and the "Case Creation Date" changed to 16 August 2013 from November 2012?  "Check in two business days."

23 AUG - Updated to "Administrative Processing" again :-(

26 AUG - ISSUED - YEAH! ! ! :D

#48 Brian1000

Brian1000
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • te

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

Can you enter the Philippines by a one way flight, then apply for a visa exstention before 21 days are up? Not sure how long the stay will be.

#49 GregOry

GregOry
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Learning more about my Filipina! ;-)
    Sports with my Filipina.
  • ve

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

Can you enter the Philippines by a one way flight, then apply for a visa exstention before 21 days are up? Not sure how long the stay will be.

You'll need a ticket somewhere... to show ongoing travel. The airlines bringing you in will normally make sure you have it and they may ask you to show onward travel at immigration upon arrival.
OPTIONS:
1. Buy a cheap ticket leaving the country that you won't use but can show it for onward travel.
2. Buy a return that is changeable... usually more expensive.

I don't see much on this topic on this site from a search but look at Philippine Expats Topic A ticket can be had for under 2000 peso ($50 US dollars) it appears. Watch for add on fees...

By the way: Cheapest and easiest way to get the first extension is at the airport upon arrival. Manila told me to go to the supervisor's office AFTER getting the 21 day stamp. Cebu told me to go to the supervisor's office BEFORE getting the 21 day stamp. I recommend ASK at the supervisor office BEFORE getting the stamp no matter where as the officials on duty at the time you arrive may do things differently. LOL

Downtown Immigration Office charge 3030 peso. Charge at the airport 2840 peso. Don't ask me WHY?

GregOry & Taring
TIMELINE FOR K-1 VISA
19 APR 12 - Arrived in Philippines to STAY until the VISA is ready.
5 MAY 12 – MAILED PETITION FROM PHILIPPINES TO DALLAS, TEXAS
11 MAY – EMAIL NOTIFICATION “… received and routed to the Vermont Service Center for processing.”
1 NOV 12 - APPROVED - Post Decision Activity (email notification DID NOT happen - found out by checking status at USCIS site)
14 NOV - Called NVC: # assigned and sent to Manila embassy 13 Nov.

19 NOV - Physical - Sputum collection ordered & completed by 23 Nov  :-( :-(  Interview canceled!

28 NOV - Negative initial result on sputum  :-) Waiting 2 months for culture result.  NEG please

7 DEC - Positive Culture. Called to St. Lukes; appointment Tues 11 DEC :-( Ohhh well

11 DEC - Moved to Manila for TB treatment.

15 MAR 13 - The Clinic Does Not Inform the Patients Well.  Ask Questions if You have Them.

10 JUN - Finished treatment and waiting for 1 month for final culture negative. 

11 JUL 13 - Back to SLEC for re-Physical (pay fee again).  Final culture result of 10 JUL requires entry to USA within 90 days.

22 JUL - Back to SLEC for vaccinations.

29 JUL - INTERVIEW - VISA SUPPOSEDLY APPROVED

20 AUG - Still WAITING.  Status said "Administrative Processing" then "Ready" (for interview) then "Administrative Processing" then "Ready" again and the "Case Creation Date" changed to 16 August 2013 from November 2012?  "Check in two business days."

23 AUG - Updated to "Administrative Processing" again :-(

26 AUG - ISSUED - YEAH! ! ! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users