Jump to content


Travel to the Philippines for more than 6 months but less than a year

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 She'

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Visa type:K-1
  • TSC

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:17 PM

My Mom got here in the States November 22, 2015. She has a 10 yr green card. Now she wanted to go back to the Philippines for a vacation for 6 months to 9 months. I wanted to know if she do that will she have a problem at the immigration when she comes back. How long can she be gone without getting any problems?

Any response is appreciated. Thank you so much!


#2 Fritz


    Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

  • Root Admin
  • 3,260 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spokane WA USA / Argao Cebu RP
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:24 AM

To remain outside the country for less than one year no extra documents are needed.

That said, she needs to file an I-131 to obtain a Travel Permit. It is not needed to retain permanent resident status for an absence of less than 1 year, but for her intended stay, she will want the permit to avoid losing time credit towards naturalization.

Without a Travel Permit she will lose all but 364 days of accumulated residence time towards naturalization for an absence of 6 months or more. Also an absence of 1 year or more will cause the green card to be cancelled.

With a Travel Permit the limits are doubled. She will lose no accumulated residence time for an absence of less than one year. She can be absent for a period less than 2 years while retaining permanent residence status.

The adventure continues

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users