Photo

Which Filipino habits are you adjusting and adapting?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

That inat/kusi the ears of the pupils is still a good one in the PI but never been used in US and Europe. I find it useful for a pupil like you who invented pee as excuse just to take guava fruit :lol: . My experience was at luch i went most of the time in my classmate's house coz there is a mango tree in the yard . I was never bored to eat mangoes those days.

Wow tamarind in sinigang..yummy! I guess we could really be friends coz we have lots in common when it comes to....... eating.. B)

When I was a kid, peeing in the school yard was an offense bad enough to warrant detention after school and shameful in front of the girls in your class. So it's acceptable in the Phils to pee anywhere both as a kid and an adult, that's another habit needs adjusting to!

#42 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,668 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • em

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

When I was a kid, peeing in the school yard was an offense bad enough to warrant detention after school and shameful in front of the girls in your class. So it's acceptable in the Phils to pee anywhere both as a kid and an adult, that's another habit needs adjusting to!

Hahaha..once more another reality of us filipino people to be corrected. How it is possible you notice more of our weaknesses huh ! You know na that PI school WC/toilet is limited and maintaining it's cleanliness is hassle and tiresome. I remember in high-school years we have only one WC ,every week there is a class that take charge to clean and cleaning it while others leave their waste is really disgusting..so this is why others prefer to pee outside that i used to... (ashame) but lucky me no warrant detention againts me :P

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#43 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hahaha..once more another reality of us filipino people to be corrected. How it is possible you notice more of our weaknesses huh ! You know na that PI school WC/toilet is limited and maintaining it's cleanliness is hassle and tiresome. I remember in high-school years we have only one WC ,every week there is a class that take charge to clean and cleaning it while others leave their waste is really disgusting..so this is why others prefer to pee outside that i used to... (ashame) but lucky me no warrant detention againts me :P

I hear you.. I never met a toilet there that I liked. I also longed to pee outside in the fresh air, without getting my feet or bottom soaked Posted Image

#44 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

One thing that upsets me while in the Philippines is that often people will be ashamed to say they do not understand, so they will either say "yes sir" and give the wrong answer and that has happened to me more times than I can even count in stores. I will stop and ask a sales person if they have an item in stock and they will say "No sir out of stock" and I will walk a few feet and then see it on the shelf. I used to think they just did not know but when it happened again and again and all in different ways, then I began to realize they did not understand what I was asking for since things are often called different things in the Philippines verses the US and Filipinos will often tell me that I speak so slang. Posted Image

One time when helping a friend who was moving to Cebu shop for furniture, my wife had gone off to the CR so I asked the salesman if they had a few items in stock and he replied yes to each and then I asked if we could give them part of the money down and the balance upon delivery and he replied yes and then I asked if they could deliver it all that afternoon and he replied yes, by that time my wife returned and I told her to ask him in Bisaya all the same questions and low and behold the answer was no to all the same questions. Posted Image Posted Image

I really wish that if a person does not understand me that they would just say so and not yes or no me to death. When I do not understand I just say dili kasabot (I do not understand) so I wish they would do the same. I adjusted to this by just having my wife ask the questions and believe it or not at times we will still get the same run around. Posted Image

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#45 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,668 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • em

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

One thing that upsets me while in the Philippines is that often people will be ashamed to say they do not understand, so they will either say "yes sir" and give the wrong answer and that has happened to me more times than I can even count in stores. I will stop and ask a sales person if they have an item in stock and they will say "No sir out of stock" and I will walk a few feet and then see it on the shelf. I used to think they just did not know but when it happened again and again and all in different ways, then I began to realize they did not understand what I was asking for since things are often called different things in the Philippines verses the US and Filipinos will often tell me that I speak so slang. Posted Image

One time when helping a friend who was moving to Cebu shop for furniture, my wife had gone off to the CR so I asked the salesman if they had a few items in stock and he replied yes to each and then I asked if we could give them part of the money down and the balance upon delivery and he replied yes and then I asked if they could deliver it all that afternoon and he replied yes, by that time my wife returned and I told her to ask him in Bisaya all the same questions and low and behold the answer was no to all the same questions. :blink: Posted Image

I really wish that if a person does not understand me that they would just say so and not yes or no me to death. When I do not understand I just say dili kasabot (I do not understand) so I wish they would do the same. I adjusted to this by just having my wife ask the questions and believe it or not at times we will still get the same run around. :blink:

Like SeeSea told " i hear you"..not because i do the same when i facing foreigners and i don't understand but i heard that story of a filipino man (my acquitance here) working as dog-taker ( not sure if the right term). His employer before leaving the home always tells him what to do and his answer is always YES though he doesn't understand...he laughed while he telling me this thing.

I can't understand too this way some filipinos behave. :blink:

Edited by melody, 23 November 2012 - 09:37 AM.

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users