5 replies to this topic

#1 sixstringjunkie

sixstringjunkie
  • Members
  • 472 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ve

Posted 25 October 2018 - 01:43 PM

Hi everyone.  The process of a travel visa seems quite simple, but maybe I'm missing some points?

Basically, can I, as the son in law file online on behalf of my inlaws?  I assume I will need their passport information as well as a passport photo to upload during this process?

After this is submitted, what else is needed aside from the interview?  Will my inlaws know if they can or cannot get the visa at the interview?  

Is there anything else I'm missing here? It just seems too simple that I feel like I might be missing some details. 

History is being made every second of your existence. Make every second count. History is meant to be remembered.

#2 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,253 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:02 AM

I'm guessing that they are applying for Visitor Visas (B1/B2).

The process begins with payment of the Visa Application Fee. Currently US$160 per "B" visa application.

Fee payment instructions: http://www.ustraveld...paymentinfo.asp
They will make two separate payments. One for each visa applied for. The identification number on the receipt is needed for the next step.
If you have an account with either BPI or BancNet, you can pay the fee using online banking. If not, then they will have to pay the fees and send you the receipt ID numbers.

Complete the DS-160: http://www.ustraveld...160complete.asp
Since you will be doing this by their direction, you can fill out the DS-160 for them. Be very careful and verify anything you are unsure of. Filling out this form you are certifying that everything is true and correct.
You will complete the DS-160 twice, once for your father in law and once for your mother in law. This is why the fees need to be paid as two separate payments. You will use one receipt ID for Mom and the other for Dad.
You will upload a "Passport Photo" for each DS-160. The link to photograph guidelines in the instructions is broken, here is the correct link: https://travel.state...ces/photos.html
When each DS-160 is completed you will print a barcode. The printed barcode is a required document for the interview.
The instructions say to print the barcode, then hit the browser back button and email a copy of the barcode to yourself.
If you have the option of "Print to File", then choose that option and immediately email your in laws and yourself with the PDF file as an attachment as you complete each DS-160. They can print the PDF files at an internet cafe if they don't have a printer at home.

Schedule the Interview: http://www.ustraveld...entschedule.asp
They can either schedule the interview online (Click on new user if you don't have an account already) or by calling the Call Center to schedule by telephone.
You can also contact the Call Center to ask questions about the Visa Process and the status of the applications.

They should know immediately if there are any serious problems during the interview. But if they are not given approval/denial immediately, the "Contact Us" (Call Center) webpage explains several ways to get updates on case status.

US Embassy in the Philippines Non-Immigrant Visa

The adventures continue
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#3 sixstringjunkie

sixstringjunkie
  • Members
  • 472 posts
  • ve

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the reply Fritz!

You've always been very helpful.

So to clarify, all the application, payment, etc can be done by me, here in the states on their behalf correct? The only thing they need to do is go for the interview?

Could I make the payment for the Visa 160x2 on their behalf as well here in the States?  

Once I submit the Visitor visa, when do we schedule the interview? I'm assuming even the applying for interview part can be done by me here in the States? Then in reality, the only thing they need is go to Manila for the interview, and everything else can be done by me?

History is being made every second of your existence. Make every second count. History is meant to be remembered.

#4 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:11 PM

The Visa Application (DS-160) fee is paid either at a branch of BPI or using a BancNet card. If you have a BPI account or a BancNet card, then you can pay directly from your bank account.
List of BancNet Equity and Affililate partner banks
If you don't have either of these, then payment will need to be made in person at a BPI bank branch in Philippines. Once the payments are complete, they would scan or photograph the receipts with the receipt number clearly readable and send the pictures to you. You need those receipt numbers to verify the payment.
Two separate payments. One for each DS-160

Everything else can be done online or by phone. So those steps you can do for them.

Some of the BancNet affilated banks.
Philippine banks require in person verification of identity at a bank branch when opening and account.
BDO has branches overseas with two branches in Daly City and Los Angeles, CA.
BPI has branches overseas (no US branches)
Landbank (No overseas branches)
Metrobank has a New York City branch
PNB has multiple branches (PDF) in California as well as branches in Chicago and Morton Grove IL, New York City and Woodside NY, Honolulu and Waipahu HI and Houston TX

HSBC is an international bank with online account creation permitted. Also a BancNet equity partner.

The adventures continue
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#5 sixstringjunkie

sixstringjunkie
  • Members
  • 472 posts
  • ve

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:44 AM

It appears to be pretty clear in your instructions Fritz, but just want to double confirm what seems clear already.  The very FIRST step is pay the fee at BPI. In other words, you cannot apply online for the DS160 BEFORE you pay since you need that receipt ID. Is that correct?

Also, once they have the VISA, how long will it be good for? I have heard 10 years but I'm sure it can also vary? 

#6 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:30 AM

Yes. First step is to pay the application fee as the receipt number is needed when filling out the DS-160

B1 & B2 visas come in two forms.
The usual one is a single entry visa good for a stay of up to 6 months in US with a single extension of an additional 6 months permitted. The visa is surrendered on entry and can be used up to the date printed on the visa (usually 6 months after issuance). Either an I-94 will be attached to the passport or an entry stamp will be put in the passport to indicate the type of visa used to enter and the expiration date of the initial 6 month permitted stay.

The second form is a Multiple Entry visa. This one also allows a stay of up to 6 months in US with a single extension of an additional 6 months to extend permitted continuous presence in US to 12 months total. This visa is not surrendered on entry and may be used to reenter the US after departing within the 6 month/12 month time limit on single visits. A Multiple Entry visa expires 10 years after issuance and can be used to repeatedly reenter US until it expires. Be careful about applying for an extension of stay with this visa as denial of the extension may void the visa also.

With either form, the visitor must leave US within the time limit for a single visit (6 months with just the entry stamp or 12 months with an approved extension)

Whether they get the Single Entry or Multiple Entry visa is up to the Embassy official conducting the interview. A single entry visa is normal for first time applicants.

If they get Multiple Entry visas, keep in mind that US will cancel them if they are seen to be used to stay in US for "unreasonable" periods of time. As a general rule they should keep stays in US either very short if visiting frequently or with long periods outside US between visits if staying for long periods. Staying for 4 to 6 months each trip with only 2 or 3 months (or less) between trips can cause immigration to decide that the visa is being abused. So if returning shortly after ending a long stay, have a very good reason for the return and don't do it very often.

If applying for the permitted 6 month extension, file as soon as possible to ensure you get a decision before the permitted stay expires to allow departure by the expiration date if the extension is not granted. USCIS recommends filing at least 45 days before the permitted stay expires. There are reports that extensions have taken as long as 4 months to process, so file early if a stay past 6 months is likely.

The adventure continues
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users