Jump to content


2 Divorces

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 che35

  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Visa type:K-1

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

Good day! I am engaged to an american and planning to apply for a K1 visa after everything in my end is cleared. I was married to an Aussie before and divorced after over a year. My ex was the one who filed the divorce in Australia but months before our Australian divorce, because of both our silliness and rushing to give each other freedom we filed for a Sharia or Muslim divorce and it was granted. We wed in a church and based on my research even if we had converted to muslim back then the embassy might still refuse the K1 visa application unless they will accept my Australian divorce. Questions. Will the embassy or consulate consider my Australian divorce? I have a copy of the divorce decree. Do I need to have it judicially recognized here in the Philippines before I could apply for a K1 visa? Will the Sharia divorce affect my application even if I also have Australian divorce? Please help.


#2 rbacon

  • Senior Member
  • 4,779 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Elk Grove and Half Moon Bay, CA
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

If the NSO issues its annotated marriage certificate showing the divorce, and/or has an NSO-authenticated divorce document, it is valid for marriage and immigration purposes.  But the failure of the NSO to have this reflected on the CENOMAR may continue to be a problem if she is interviewed in Manila or at a U>S> Consulate in another country.


--Ray B

I am a westerner and my partner is a filipina. She was previously married in the Philippines to a Muslim and she divorced after 7 years in 2009 again by the Muslim courts.

When we were obtaining all the documents necessary to marry, we noted the Form 5 CEMAR still listed a single record of marriage against her name. In order to marry, we had the divorce certificate certified at the NSO and red ribboned by the DFA. We later asked for another form 5 but it still shows a single marriage:

- is the divorce recognised by the Philippine authorities once it is certified and attested?

- Can she marry overseas if the form 5 still shows a record of a marriage, even if there is a divorce certificate to prove the marriage was ended?

- what do we have to do get the Form 5 amended ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users